Straighten Out Birmingham

4 More Heroes, No More Heroes, The Meninblack etc etc in ere

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Straighten Out Birmingham

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great reminders of a brilliant night (althought I coulda done without the pics to be honest :oops: )

Was it really a week ago already :?: :smt011
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Great reminders of a brilliant night (althought I coulda done without the pics to be honest :oops: )

Was it really a week ago already :?: :smt011
Where's yer review Baz :!: :idea:

:smt009
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

On it's way :wink:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Belated review but there ya go!

I can’t believe how time seems to fly these days but there I was a week ago, sober as a judge in the car park of the Maypole Travelodge (somewhere in Saarf Brum) munching on me sandwich awaiting the arrival of me auld mucker Paul B..whilst enjoying the warm autumn sunshine. The calm before the storm methinks because my every intention was to get shit faced on Stella (or some other 5% proof lager beers) during the upcoming hours. Mission would be accomplished!

Anyhow, the meet ups all go to schedule and it’s not long before we’re marching up to the main entrance of The New Dogpool Hotel! Actually, the area and/or venue is not as bad as described by certain folks on this forum! But then again I am from from the HARDEST city in Englandshire so I’ve been around and seen a lot to shake me anyhow!

First people I bump into on entering the venue are Leskei & FatbusJim!!!!!!!!You’ll never know how much I luv these guys! Met ‘em both at various shindigs in recent years and to be quite honest if these blokes are showing up for an event then I know it’s gotta be a good occasion!

The beers begin to flow and some of us make our way to the beer garden where a Jimmy Krankie lookalike informs us that he/she/it won a copy of ‘Golden Brown’ on ‘TISWAS’ many moons ago, obviously. Leskei spilt a bit of his pint over her not long after, quite by accident in the bar….

“Sorry mate!” says Keith, obviously thinking it’s a bloke

“ It’s not a bloke..” Says I in a whispered voice.

“Aye! I gathered that eventually” Says Keith in his Geordie accent……………U had to be there!

So! On to the Bier Garten! Fuck it! It’s a SMOKING GARDEN, innit? Anyway ,this was the place to be for a coupla hours. Mrs Bubba joined us , so did Phil Tuneless and Kaffinboots early on AND THEN THE COGNASCENTI began to arrive!

First of all Claire & Rodders ( fucking Rodders! Wot a fucking guy!)

Then!

Lord & Lady Lunatic De Rural Areas

(Wot would a Stranglers related event be without Joan Lunatic these days?)

The beer and the conversation were all in swing outside with all talk of New Model Army , Devo, Stranglers gigs and the spending on Ravenlunatics credit card by our beloved Joan. We were also joined by the uber-forum-member that is Nick-in-black! I know he doesn’t use a hyphen

Wot can I say about Nick? Always a pleasure to meet him! A wry sense of humour indeed but always has a point and personally I can’t get enough of fans like him. Likewise Simon lunatic again….

BUT who’s that in the shadows?

A pair of mischievous eyes meet mine through the bamboo type border of the pub ‘Bier Garten’ and the ,no doubt war in the Ghetto outside! Must be Senor Blackbeered! Of course it is! AND!!!! AANNND!!! LORD GIZZARD is also in tow! I shoulda known!

Oh! Fuck it! Gizzard & Blackbeered turn up & Jjbinblack! I was overwhelmed! I luv these people and the night just can’t go wrong! We have a gathering!

Quick shout to ‘Villaininblack’ before I go on the gig. Another exceptional human being imho, really enjoyed sharing a pint and chatting with this bloke…another forum star imho…..

CUE ‘WALTZINBLACK’
After some serious drinking and maybe NOT so serious conversation it was time for some fucking serious kick ass muzak! That was my take anyhow!

I’d drunk my fill outside and now I was gagging for some music! Stranglers stylee!

‘STRAIGHTEN OUT’

That’s what we want! And that’s what we got!

‘Waltzinblack’ signalled the arrival and then the band went straight into ‘5 Minutes’ which all sounds great but it took a coupla more songs for me to get cranked up really high. Didn’t take long though! If ya luv the Sttranglers 70’s stuff then you can’t go wong with tihis band I just fucking luv ‘em

Great version of ‘Thrown Away’ btw especially my dancing with ‘Blackbeered’….maybe not…

The “Tits OoT” was fun too…maybe…

“Something Better Change “ must surely have been the highlight though to all concerned (thanks to me & Rodders!)

The oldies amongst us seem to agree that the real glory days of The Stranglers are really centred around the first few albums..
WHO GIVES A FUCK?
Watch Shaggy & Bubba in action! PLUS!! Mick n keyboards & the erm.. Drummer!

Why pay more?

I just cannot fault fault ‘Straighten Out’ They are a superb live outfit and if you are a genuine Stranglers fan then these lot are to be cherished & supported. They piss on The Stranglers!
Last edited by ThruBeingCool on 03 Oct 2009, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Great review Bazza

:grin:

I have just half an hour ago recieved some of the more incriminating shots taken during Nice N Sleazy, featuring a certain forum regular displaying his all.......
And it's not for the fainthearted....

:smt009
Last edited by Claireinblack on 03 Oct 2009, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.
Claireinblack
kent
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

The point being:

We should ALL support 'Straighten Out' :idea:

They ARE the future :!:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Top night out! Rodders is a fucking man after my own heart :!: :wink:
Blackbeered
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Blackbeered »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Oh! Fuck it! Gizzard & Blackbeered turn up & Jjbinblack! I was overwhelmed! I luv these people and the night just can’t go wrong! We have a gathering!
Luv you too TBC :smt008
ThruBeingCool wrote:Great version of ‘Thrown Away’ btw especially my dancing with ‘Blackbeered’….maybe not…
What do you mean, "maybe not" :lol:
ThruBeingCool wrote:I just cannot fault fault ‘Straighten Out’ They are a superb live outfit and if you are a genuine Stranglers fan then these lot are to be cherished & supported.

Seconded
ThruBeingCool wrote:They piss on The Stranglers!
You sure :?:

Nice one Bazza - be seeing you soon :smt006
Bring me a piece of my mummy, she was quite close to me........
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

Great pics Mike, and review Bazza :smt006

Bazza, the feelings are mutual :smt008

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Rodney Blackstaff wrote:Great pics Mike, and review Bazza :smt006

Bazza, the feelings are mutual :smt008

Rodders

Get a room..

:roll:
Claireinblack
kent
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Thanks for taking the time to do a write up,Baz.It's always appreciated.

There's hardly a picture of you in all the ones posted where you're not playing air bass,mate. :lol: :lol: If you ain't careful you'll stick like it.I dread to think what you're like at a Devo gig. :lol: :lol: ;-)
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

nickinblack wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do a write up,Baz.It's always appreciated.
I really wanted to write a post that you could read to the tune of 'Baggy Trousers' by Madness. "Oh wot fun we had.." etc However the project was shelved because it was a little too ambitious for this talentless twunt.Anyone care to help out :?: :idea: