Howdy

If you`re new to the site post in here and we`ll say hello! - Also if you haven`t posted in the last 3 months post here to keep your account alive - otherwise it will be removed.
serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

hicsuntleones wrote: yeah, i know the feeling..........if there were a bet on the horse that comes in last it would be great and i could earn lots of money! lol
in america lasix is very common and every horse is on it,
Indeed, it was lasix, I remember that name.

I remember now I went twice. Once with a friend who was trying to win money, staying up until all hours of the night working on a "system" [he had no job] and going to off track betting and losing. He showed me how to look at horses as they were being shown at the stables before the race- how they walked, if they followed their trainer, or were too wild. This friend liked the opening scene in "The Grifters", showing how the odds are manipulated at a race.

Betting is interesting. As a total am I was betting the odds; basically the favorites would not win enough for what little I had to put down, the long shots probably wouldn't win, so I bet on a horse in the mid-range of the odds.

Ever see "California Split" directed by Robert Atlman? Good movie about addicted gamblers; horse racing and cards.
serya

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Ayup Dood.
Just strap on your ukulele and we'll play some rock 'n roll, and that

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote:
Betting is interesting. As a total am I was betting the odds; basically the favorites would not win enough for what little I had to put down, the long shots probably wouldn't win, so I bet on a horse in the mid-range of the odds.

Ever see "California Split" directed by Robert Atlman? Good movie about addicted gamblers; horse racing and cards.
i seldom look at the odds except when a horse is under 1........two years ago i had the kentucky derby winner Giacomo who was 50-1 and paid 102 $, that was the best i ever got............and our unfortunate cat is called Giacomo now! (and imagine, the horse was named after Sting's son! :lol: )

i haven't seen the Altman movie, i know only Let It Ride and Seabiscuit....
With luck on your side, you can do without brains.
Giordano Bruno

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

A friend loves Let It Ride. I think you'd really like California Split.

James Caan was in a movie called The Gambler in the 70s. Pressure of owing bookies and making bets on basketball games over the phone at all hours to make up the dept and avoid broken legs, is all I remember now.
serya

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

gotta try to get that movie then!

i love that Robert Redford/Paul Newman movie.........it's called "Der Clou" in german but i don't know the OT...
Giordano Bruno

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Must be "The Sting" - a classic. I think I must call it "Der Clou" from now on.

A modern noir classic re similar confidence scams by David Mamet is "House of Games". Great! If you liked Der Clou you'd love that. Followed up by "Things Change", "Homicide" , and "The Spanish Prisoner", all good mystery/scam/thrillers.
serya

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote:Must be "The Sting" - a classic. I think I must call it "Der Clou" from now on.

A modern noir classic re similar confidence scams by David Mamet is "House of Games". Great! If you liked Der Clou you'd love that. Followed up by "Things Change", "Homicide" , and "The Spanish Prisoner", all good mystery/scam/thrillers.
yeah (!), there are quite a lot of good movies i still have to watch.........last christmas i got all the "Thin Man" Myrna Loy/William Powell dvds and still haven't watched all of 'em..........perhaps it's time to watch more recent movies :wink:
Giordano Bruno

Ice
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ice »

Welcome serya - hope you enjoy it here.
Deadly with make-up on...

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Those old mysteries are great. I remember being a teenager and going to the theater for a showing of The Maltese Falcon and being surprised by how fast moving and snappy the dialogue was. Likewise the first time I saw an early UK Hitchcock movie, The Secret Agent. He slowed the pace when he came to the US and did Rebecca for a big studio. I like both, but those early movies of the 30s moved at quite a clip!
serya

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Ice wrote:Welcome serya - hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks Ice.
serya