Howdy

If you`re new to the site post in here and we`ll say hello! - Also if you haven`t posted in the last 3 months post here to keep your account alive - otherwise it will be removed.
serya
SHAKESPEARO

Howdy

Post by serya »

Howdy,
(traditional American cowboy welcome)

Actually, I'm not a traditional type , here in Northern California a Stranglers fan since high school when a record store owner turned me on to The Raven.
We thrilled over the rare article in Trouser Press, or an imported copy of Strangled we were lucky enough to find. We enjoyed the special cult status, and they took us away to a better place.

Many lps, 7", cassettes, CDs, VHSs and DVDs later, I am glad they are still around making music and there are dedicated sites like this one to connect us all together.

serya
serya

Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

Greetings from the middle of the North Sea.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Howdy

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote:Howdy,
(traditional American cowboy welcome)

Actually, I'm not a traditional type , here in Northern California a Stranglers fan since high school when a record store owner turned me on to The Raven.
We thrilled over the rare article in Trouser Press, or an imported copy of Strangled we were lucky enough to find. We enjoyed the special cult status, and they took us away to a better place.

Many lps, 7", cassettes, CDs, VHSs and DVDs later, I am glad they are still around making music and there are dedicated sites like this one to connect us all together.

serya
hi!

which part of california are you from? do you know del mar, the race track? (one of my other interests besides good music, old books and young men, lol!)
With luck on your side, you can do without brains.
Giordano Bruno

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

hicsuntleones wrote: which part of california are you from? do you know del mar, the race track? (one of my other interests besides good music, old books and young men, lol!)
California is so damn big- I am in the "way northernly" county of Humboldt, about 6 hours drive north of San Francisco, on the coast. We have a horse track here that is active during the county fair, in Ferndale, as well as off-track betting following the races in the rest of the state, including far away Del Mar, which is at the other end of the state down by San Diego.

There are young men here. Sadly, I am not one of them.
serya

paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by paulinblack »

Glug, glug, glug!

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote:
California is so damn big- I am in the "way northernly" county of Humboldt, about 6 hours drive north of San Francisco, on the coast. We have a horse track here that is active during the county fair, in Ferndale, as well as off-track betting following the races in the rest of the state, including far away Del Mar, which is at the other end of the state down by San Diego.

There are young men here. Sadly, I am not one of them.
i have heard of Ferndale, i think they're open in august........are you interested in horse racing? it's much more popular in England and the US.......we have a track here mr. Stronach built but we don't like it at all.....don't worry about the young men, i'm also not one of them (and not really interested in them also, just needed some opposite to old books! :lol: )
Giordano Bruno

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Wow, I can't believe you've heard of Ferndale. Amazing.

I am not interested in horse racing that much, but I did watchsome big races in the 70s on TV, and when I saw an ESPN sports profile of Secretariat a few years ago that was so well done I was curious again. Someone sent me a tape of great finishes from the 70s and 80s and it was really interesting. But I have only been to the local track once. Though the fair is coming up and I am going with some friends, so who knows....
serya

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote:Wow, I can't believe you've heard of Ferndale. Amazing.

I am not interested in horse racing that much, but I did watchsome big races in the 70s on TV, and when I saw an ESPN sports profile of Secretariat a few years ago that was so well done I was curious again. Someone sent me a tape of great finishes from the 70s and 80s and it was really interesting. But I have only been to the local track once. Though the fair is coming up and I am going with some friends, so who knows....
i'm sure you'll have fun at the races..........i was a real racing enthusiast (especially interested in american races, not because i think the european are worse, but because we get videos from american races easier than english or irish or french ones) until Barbaro, last year's Kentucky Derby winner, had to be put down, then i somehow lost interest........too many dead horses :(
Giordano Bruno

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

I hear you there....the big one when I was young was the match race in 1975 where Ruffian broke down on the back straight. All that build up, then such a sad event.

I have a couple of local horse racing stories I just remembered....

When I did go to the races a few years ago with a friend we asked around what a certain designation on the form meant, and a guy said it was the use of drugs to mask symptoms. Most were on it. So we bet on the one horse that was not...and it came in last.

The local theatre had an old retired guy as manager. Tough, smallish, an ex-boxer and ex-jockey, he also owned race horses locally that ran in Ferndale. A certain local actress who had a huge ego and fancied herself Katherine Hepburn ordered him around at the theater once too often and after saying "F.U.", he later slipped some horse tranquilizer into her drink at the cast party. Knocked her out good.

She later got banned from every local theatre and was doing reviews for a while, but now is out of the scene.
serya

GRIFF
Ugly
Ugly

gday from aus

Post by GRIFF »

Hi Serya and welcome the madhouse.
Griff

serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Thanks Griff.

Griff.....I think of Sam Fuller.
serya

hicsuntleones
SHAKESPEARO

Post by hicsuntleones »

serya wrote: When I did go to the races a few years ago with a friend we asked around what a certain designation on the form meant, and a guy said it was the use of drugs to mask symptoms. Most were on it. So we bet on the one horse that was not...and it came in last.
yeah, i know the feeling..........if there were a bet on the horse that comes in last it would be great and i could earn lots of money! lol
in america lasix is very common and every horse is on it, in europe it's forbidden and you'll seldom see an european horse using it when running in america, because once they use it they will no longer be allowed to stud

hm, is this a music forum or a horse racing forum? but there are enough songs about horse racing and even a great video from the divine comedy, the gin soaked boy........
Giordano Bruno