Moderator: StanInBlack

davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Desert Island Dicks

Post by davidcassell »

1 Love Forever Changes
2 Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus
3 Buzzcocks Another Music
4 The Fall The Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click)
5 Hüsker Dü Warehouse Songs and Stories
6 Pixies Surfer Rosa
7 Pixies Doolittle
8 REM Eponymous
9 Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
10 New Order Low-Life

For me too, there'll probably be a different bunch in there in no time at all. If there was space - Black and White and Raven, Machine Gun by the Damned, a couple from Can, Kraftwerk, Cohen.
Cheers David
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

davidcassell wrote:1 Love Forever Changes
2 Stranglers Rattus Norvegicus
3 Buzzcocks Another Music
4 The Fall The Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click)
5 Hüsker Dü Warehouse Songs and Stories
6 Pixies Surfer Rosa
7 Pixies Doolittle
8 REM Eponymous
9 Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
10 New Order Low-Life

For me too, there'll probably be a different bunch in there in no time at all. If there was space - Black and White and Raven, Machine Gun by the Damned, a couple from Can, Kraftwerk, Cohen.
Cheers David
Yeah... New Order and "Low Life" does the trick!
Something better change!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Agreed Low Life was a good album, dare I say it I may get slated but I like Technique a lot, very dancey, very much the beginnings of all that Ibizia nonsense but still a damn fine album. I see someone else chose Movement, which again is a very good album, though it is basically Joy Division without Ian Curtis.
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

Jake wrote:Agreed Low Life was a good album, dare I say it I may get slated but I like Technique a lot, very dancey, very much the beginnings of all that Ibizia nonsense but still a damn fine album. I see someone else chose Movement, which again is a very good album, though it is basically Joy Division without Ian Curtis.
Agreed, I like Technique a lot too. I always remember coming back from a Pixies gig at Manchester International 2 and seeing the Factory offices plastered in the artwork for Technique. The whole building! Looked pretty damned amazing. Good album and I didn't mind all the Ibiza stuff - start of good times. Movement too was good, but you're right it is basically JD. Cool bands and such a good time at that time (I'm from Manchester and grew up with that whole Buzzcocks - Fall - Cooper Clarke - Joy Division/Factory/New Order thing).
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

davidcassell wrote:
Jake wrote:Agreed Low Life was a good album, dare I say it I may get slated but I like Technique a lot, very dancey, very much the beginnings of all that Ibizia nonsense but still a damn fine album. I see someone else chose Movement, which again is a very good album, though it is basically Joy Division without Ian Curtis.
Agreed, I like Technique a lot too. I always remember coming back from a Pixies gig at Manchester International 2 and seeing the Factory offices plastered in the artwork for Technique. The whole building! Looked pretty damned amazing. Good album and I didn't mind all the Ibiza stuff - start of good times. Movement too was good, but you're right it is basically JD. Cool bands and such a good time at that time (I'm from Manchester and grew up with that whole Buzzcocks - Fall - Cooper Clarke - Joy Division/Factory/New Order thing).

Nice one David and cool memory. Unfortunatley I have a few gaps in the New Order collection, but I will also admit that I think Republic is a very good album in places, I also picked up a very cheap copy of waiting for the sirens call which has some belters on it. It's a great shame that New Order have fallen out big style with Peter Hook, they have done or about to some gigs without him, that's like the stranglers without JJ or (duck and cover) HUGH!
Burn e 77
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Burn e 77 »

I reckon i could survive on a desert Island... with "Absinthe" by the Damned... and the real thing... bottled by "Trenet" (Producers of a great French Absinthe)
... and a gorgeous green nymphet... (the green nubile... of said spirit)
Burn e 77
Something better change!
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I'd just like to be on a desert island full stop, away from all this shit called 'society' and on that note, good night and good luck!
Stranglers69
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Stranglers69 »

Jake wrote:I'd just like to be on a desert island full stop, away from all this shit called 'society' and on that note, good night and good luck!
scotticusnorvegicus
Rats Rally

Post by scotticusnorvegicus »

Skids-Scared To Dance
The Stranglers-Rattus Norvegicus
Killing Joke-Killing Joke
Stiff Little Fingers-Inflammable Material
Manic Street Preachers-Gold Against The Soul
Big Country-The Crossing
Be Bop Deluxe-Axe Victim
The Jam-All Mod Cons
The Doors-Waiting For The Sun
Punishment of Luxury-Laughing Academy
We are very excited to be here in A ------me----ri--- ca.
davidcassell
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by davidcassell »

Jake wrote:
davidcassell wrote:

Nice one David and cool memory. Unfortunatley I have a few gaps in the New Order collection, but I will also admit that I think Republic is a very good album in places, I also picked up a very cheap copy of waiting for the sirens call which has some belters on it. It's a great shame that New Order have fallen out big style with Peter Hook, they have done or about to some gigs without him, that's like the stranglers without JJ or (duck and cover) HUGH!
Agreed, Republic is good. It was NO's Aural Sculpture for me - pretty damned good in places but a sign of a slippage in what was to come. I really don't understand this Peter Hook "The Light" thing. Monaco, yes they were good, but what he's doing now is a bit mad. But "it's punk" he'll say as in the attitude. I think Bernard will never forgive him for this. And the falling out he had with Mani in the Freebass thing, well, I don't know. Ego I guess, Hook must feel a real need to keep the show on the road which I understand. I'd love to see NO play again as NO - but I think we've got a similar chance of Hugh rejoining the Stranglers. Cheers David

PS Shame it's not colour...great Saville artwork! http://www.cerysmaticfactory.info/fac251ext1.html
Hammer
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Hammer »

Jake wrote:
Hammer wrote:Stranglers- The Raven
Killing Joke- Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions.
The Cure- Disintegration
Curve- Come Clean
Magazine- Real Life
Cooper Temple Clause- See This Through and Leave
Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
New Order- Movement
Hugh Cornwell- PPP
Rammstein- Liebe ist fur Alle Da.

It will probably be 10 different ones next week. :shock:
I know that feeling, still there's at least 5 excellent ones Killing Joke- Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions, that's a blinding album, loathe to say it but probably like it more than I like The Raven!
Cheers Jake, TBH if I narrowed it down to one it would probably be Extremities, It's still a devastating album after 20 years!
Also agree with you about Low Life, but I went with Movement as it brings back more memories for me. 8)
To offend, or be offended is purely subjective.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Well said, Extremities is a devastating album indeed. One of the biggest albums in my life.