Andy Warhol..super creep

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Andy Warhol..super creep

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Watching the Andy Warhol Prog on BBC 1 earlier on tonight reminded me that in my humble opinion most modern art is 'still' Total fucking bollocks and reactionary bullshit............

To his credit it seems that Andy Warhol couldn't give a flying fuck about what people really thought about his work because..... he just did it.............

It seems that Warhol was deemed a reactionary in a genuine sense because he simply wanted a reaction of any kind from the people around him...positive or negative.it didn't really matter..

The one thing that was perfectly obvious and was well demonstrated in this programme was the fact that Warhol knew exactly how everyone else would react to his work and he also knew that he was in complete control of his behavior and how his reaction to his own work influenced the behavior of everyone in his vicinity....he fucking controlled all of it.

The reaction of his flunkies stimulated the press and the media and created everything that Warhol was to become. I think he was a brilliant fraud in an almost perfect way but he instilled in his supporters enough beguilement to allow them the luxury to examine the object of their facinaction and try to evaluate his input into the art world for the rest of their lives.
.................fucking .......suckers

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Mitch K
Rats Rally

Post by Mitch K »

Emperors New Clothes if you ask me

Mitch "Why dont you paint a nice bowl of fruit Andrew?" K.

Re: Andy Warhol..super creep

Post by Guest »

Alan A Hillier wrote:Watching the Andy Warhol Prog on BBC 1 earlier on tonight reminded me that in my humble opinion most modern art is 'still' Total fucking bollocks and reactionary bullshit............

To his credit it seems that Andy Warhol couldn't give a flying fuck about what people really thought about his work because..... he just did it.............

It seems that Warhol was deemed a reactionary in a genuine sense because he simply wanted a reaction of any kind from the people around him...positive or negative.it didn't really matter..

The one thing that was perfectly obvious and was well demonstrated in this programme was the fact that Warhol knew exactly how everyone else would react to his work and he also knew that he was in complete control of his behavior and how his reaction to his own work influenced the behavior of everyone in his vicinity....he fucking controlled all of it.

The reaction of his flunkies stimulated the press and the media and created everything that Warhol was to become. I think he was a brilliant fraud in an almost perfect way but he instilled in his supporters enough beguilement to allow them the luxury to examine the object of their facinaction and try to evaluate his input into the art world for the rest of their lives.
.................fucking .......suckers

Al
Oh you are soooooo right. I agree with everything you said!!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

Very nicely put Al.

If I want to see art, I go to my children's local school in Finchley on a parents' evening and see displayed on the walls what the kids are up to. THAT, is what I call, "Expressionism".
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
marcoshark
VERSATRAN SERIES F

actually...(slight off topic)

Post by marcoshark »

His Nephew James IS a talented illustrator and childrens book illustrator and a good pal of mine. (Google if you may!)

When James had his home in Long Island City, NY. He had the most amazing studio. James used his pals as models for a lot of book covers. (fyi, anyone interested, thats ME on the cover of Starship Troopers") What sticks out most from memory was that tucked in a corner was a silk screened self portrait of "Uncle Andy". It was a small canvas, and it was probably Andy's first experiment with silk screened art. This was Andy from the VU era mind you.

http://www.jameswarhola.com/
“1a) Never throw shit at an armed man.
1b) Never stand next to someone who is throwing shit at an armed man.”
― Larry Niven, N-Space
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Didn`t actually see this programme - I have it sat in me Sky+ might give it a spin tonight.

Al, effectivetly what you are saying is the age old question "WHAT IS ART?". Now modern art I used to like - yeah some of it wasn`t bad at all. Of course Warhol was more of the pop genre really. Modern art tends to be 80s,90s,00s IMO.

Look at last year's Turner Prize winner - I used to love watching that programme every year but the last 5 years they`ve really taken the piss. I mean who cares if it`s a fuckin shed, then a boat then a shed again !!?!! So fucking what it looks like a shitehouse!!!

To me modern art is OK but it shouldn`t come with a fuckin explanation or a IKEA diagram telling you what it all represents. You should be able to view art and see it for what it is without someone stood their telling you it`s the scraping's from Trotsky's sofa or whatever.

Some of Warhol's work was amazing. But then again if I throw shit at a wall 24/7 even I`ll come up with something now and again

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

But you're all assuming that 'art' is something that can be classified, ticked off and carefully labeled as something familiar.

The 'art' in the Turner prize 'Shed/Boat/Shed' was the very ACT of converting it into Shed/Boat/Shed. Not in your perception or viewing of it.

But then it's all in the ey of the beholder as they say.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

No I agree with you that`s why I ask the question "What is art?"

Jim
The Real One! wrote:But you're all assuming that 'art' is something that can be classified, ticked off and carefully labeled as something familiar.

The 'art' in the Turner prize 'Shed/Boat/Shed' was the very ACT of converting it into Shed/Boat/Shed. Not in your perception or viewing of it.

But then it's all in the ey of the beholder as they say.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

My all time favourite 1 panel cartoon (glanced at briefly in a jazz mag in the '80s but it's stayed with me ever since) has always summed up exactly what modern art and its critique is to me.

In the panel there's two figures, one an art critic and the other, in beret with easel, is the artist. They're standing in front of a huge white canvas covered in black squiggles, like a kids etch-a-sketch drawing. The critic is saying, "Ah, I see you were trying to convey the pent up frustration inherent in modern day society."
To which the artist replys, "Actually no, I was trying to draw a fanny!"
Last edited by Alias on 25 Jan 2006, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Toiler On The Sea
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Toiler On The Sea »

I was given a lambasting by a security guard in Madrid a few years back, after having accidentally kicked over, what can only be described as a 'Bucket of Welding Rods' at the Modern Art Museum.
Turned out to be an 'Installation'.

My Welder chums in the Fab-Shop produce these every day, then throw them in the skip???? Madness I tell you.

I can take art or leave it. Beauty definately is in the eye of the beholder.
"They don’t come much better than The Stranglers when performing live; there is no pretence, no hiding place, just superb music"

Liverpool Sound and Vision March 8th 2013.
The Real One!
Rats Rally

Post by The Real One! »

Well I love most art. I like a lot of modern stuff and classical and rennaissance and oh just about everything.
I have a bit of a problem with Yves Klein - he was the bloke who would create art publicly, by covering naked (buxom) girls in paint and letting them roll over a large canvas - as I think he was a bit of a perv.

But half the time it's the incongruity of the setting that makes it 'art' or adds another layer.

Think about the concrete house that Rachel Whiteread did a few years ago - utterly brilliant!
Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: actually...(slight off topic)

Post by Alias »

marcoshark wrote:(fyi, anyone interested, thats ME on the cover of Starship Troopers") http://www.jameswarhola.com/
Huh?

I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'