Ian Dickson - Legendary Top Geezer

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Alan A Hillier »

“I had just turned 19 in April 1977 (March 17th)”

Some time ago I was asked by someone if there were many (indeed, Any) pictures of the Finchley Boys still in existence and I seem to remember posting something (To Jim I think) describing my recollection of an impromptu photo session which took place backstage at the Roundhouse in April 1977 (On this particular occasion The Stranglers were supported by the Jam and Cherry Vanilla).

While we were backstage at the Roundhouse Which used to be a right shithole) a photographer seemed to appear from nowhere, got a few of us together and took some pictures.

We were all pissing about and the atmosphere was really good because it was early afternoon and everyone was pretty chilled out waiting for the evening gig. I always enjoyed those moments because they were always so natural.

This particular Photo opportunity was very rare and very much a ‘one off ‘simply because taking pictures of ourselves or letting other people take pics of us (or posing for pictures) back in those early days was well down on our agenda (Living through another day without ending up in a hospital bed always seemed to be much higher up on our wish list at that time) and it just didn’t seem relevant or cool.
Having said all that, I do have a couple of other pics knocking around somewhere (One of me and Hugh at that celebrity cricket match) but the general feeling at the time amongst the boys was that we were right there and we were living the experience so why fucking bother trying to record any of it (Oh how I wish I would have carried a camera with me in hindsight.) and that was enough.

I can’t remember who it was who found this pic on the internet from this particular occasion (remind me please) but he/she asked if there were any Finchley 'Freds' in it and I had never heard that expression before.
What they had found was a picture of Me (Holding a Precision Bass guitar), my brother Steve, Chris Green, Dennis Marks and Tommy McGonnal (holding a Stratocaster) backstage at the abovementioned Roundhouse gig back in April 1977 with us in that pic were J.J., Hugh and Bruce Foxton of the Jam, (Paul Weller was slumped down on the floor about four feet to the left of Hugh and was being a ‘pop star’ and decided not to join in) but whoever it was who posted the link to Ian Dickson’s on line photo gallery I would like to thank you and tell you that it was great to see that pic for the very first time in 26 years.

For those of you who do not know who Ian Dickson is, he was (is) one of the best-known rock photographers of his generation and photographed just about every modern pop star from Bowie to Clapton and latterly the Pistols the Clash, the Jam and the Stranglers. He has had quite a few books published (Flash Bang Wallop Etc in which the pic I am talking about appears) and sells his prints on line and in his shared shop in Islington (to those that can afford them) for loads of cash…. and why not.

The picture I am talking about appears on his website as a ‘Thumbnail’ and getting a decent copy of it proved impossible so I decided to E mail the guy and see what reaction I would get.

Within a few hours of me sending him an E. Mail, the man himself had E Mailed me back and early on this Saturday morning June 26th the Postie rung on my door Bell (He woke me up actually) holding a large envelope plastered with the warning ‘Do not bend’.

This A4 size envelope contained two absolutely stunning copies of the pic that I had only ever seen as a tiny thumbnail.

I opened the envelope and scanned my bleary eyes across this Glossy A4 sized pic and marvelled at all the amazing detail that was impossible to make out in the thumb nail’ version.

As crazy as it sounds…the first thing I noticed about it, with all this new and previously unseen detail was the words ‘FUCK YOU’ written in pen on the side panel of the White baseball boot on my right foot.
Fucking Amazing..........

There really is not too much archive material from those early days in respect of the Finchley Boys (Apart from most of the crowd sequences from the Great Rock ‘N’ Roll Swindle which were mostly filmed at early Strangler gigs and show us all quite clearly) and I’m not sure that Ian Dickson had really realised what ‘or who’ apart from the famous dudes, he had captured in that pic at the Roundhouse…and to be quite honest there’s absolutely no reason why he should have known…after all………we were just the Finchley Boys, but I would like to thank him all the same…

I did put him right about where and when the pic was taken because it had been labelled as being taken I 1976..

Mr Very, Very Important (Legendary …perhaps) Rock photographer he might be………..
But he still made the time to send those pics (Absolutely free) to an ordinary bloke like me…and I cn tell you.........that
I wont fucking forget that…………….

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Alan A Hillier

Post by Alan A Hillier »

I'll do that again without all the weirdness

"I had just turned 19 in April 1977 (March 17th)"

Some time ago I was asked by someone if there were many (indeed, Any) pictures of the Finchley Boys still in existence and I seem to remember posting something (To Jim I think) describing my recollection of an impromptu photo session which took place backstage at the Roundhouse in April 1977 (On this particular occasion The Stranglers were supported by the Jam and Cherry Vanilla).

While we were backstage at the Roundhouse Which used to be a right shithole) a photographer seemed to appear from nowhere, got a few of us together and took some pictures.

We were all pissing about and the atmosphere was really good because it was early afternoon and everyone was pretty chilled out waiting for the evening gig. I always enjoyed those moments because they were always so natural.

This particular Photo opportunity was very rare and very much a 'one off ' simply because taking pictures of ourselves or letting other people take pics of us (or posing for pictures) back in those early days was well down on our agenda (Living through another day without ending up in a hospital bed always seemed to be much higher up on our wish list at that time) and it just didn't seem relevant or cool.

Having said all that, I do have a couple of other pics knocking around somewhere (One of me and Hugh at that celebrity cricket match) but the general feeling at the time amongst the boys was that we were right there and we were living the experience so why fucking bother trying to record any of it (Oh how I wish I would have carried a camera with me in hindsight.) and that was enough.

I can't remember who it was who found this pic on the internet from this particular occasion (remind me please) but he/she asked if there were any Finchley 'Freds' in it and I had never heard that expression before.

What they had found was a picture of Me (Holding a Precision Bass guitar), my brother Steve, Chris Green, Dennis Marks and Tommy McGonnal (holding a Stratocaster) backstage at the abovementioned Roundhouse gig back in April 1977 with us in that pic were J.J., Hugh and Bruce Foxton of the Jam, (Paul Weller was slumped down on the floor about four feet to the left of Hugh and was being a 'pop star' and decided not to join in) but whoever it was who posted the link to Ian Dickson's on line photo gallery I would like to thank you and tell you that it was great to see that pic for the very first time in 26 years.

For those of you who do not know who Ian Dickson is, he was (is) one of the best-known rock photographers of his generation and photographed just about every modern pop star from Bowie to Clapton and latterly the Pistols the Clash, the Jam and the Stranglers. He has had quite a few books published (Flash Bang Wallop Etc in which the pic I am talking about appears) and sells his prints on line and in his shared shop in Islington (to those that can afford them) for loads of cash .....and why not.

The picture I am talking about appears on his website as a 'Thumbnail' and getting a decent copy of it proved impossible so I decided to E mail the guy and see what reaction I would get.

Within a few hours of me sending him an E. Mail, the man himself had E Mailed me back and early on this Saturday morning June 26th the Postie rung on my door Bell (He woke me up actually) holding a large envelope plastered with the warning 'Do not bend'

This A4 size envelope contained two absolutely stunning copies of the pic that I had only ever seen as a tiny thumbnail.

I opened the envelope and scanned my bleary eyes across this Glossy A4 sized pic and marvelled at all the amazing detail that was impossible to make out in the thumb nail version.

As crazy as it sounds the first thing I noticed about it, with all this new and previously unseen detail was the words 'FUCK YOU' written in pen on the side panel of the White baseball boot on my right foot.
Fucking Amazing..........

There really is not too much archive material from those early days in respect of the Finchley Boys (Apart from most of the crowd sequences from the Great Rock'N' Roll Swindle which were mostly filmed at early Strangler gigs and show us all quite clearly) and I'm not sure that Ian Dickson had really realised what or who apart from the famous dudes, he had captured in that pic at the Roundhouse and to be quite honest there's absolutely no reason why he should have known , after all,we were just the Finchley Boys, but I would like to thank him all the same.

I did put him right about where and when the pic was taken because it had been labelled as being taken I 1976..

Mr Very, Very Important (Legendary, perhaps) Rock photographer he might be........
But he still made the time to send those pics (Absolutely free) to an ordinary bloke like me.....and I can tell you.........that
I wont fucking forget that...............

Al
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

I remember your post Alan and I recall furnishing you with the details as I understood it - assuming it was this one Roundhouse, Sunday 17th April, The Stranglers, Cherry Vanilla & The Jam.

I had just recd a poster advertising that very gig which was some strange coincidence. If my reference to the Freds meant something - it was only because I recalled from No Mercy where Hugh originally called the Finchleys 'Finchley Freds'...

Glad Ian Dickson came up trumps for you.
Well done

crass :clap:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.

Alan A Hillier

Post by Alan A Hillier »

C r a s s ! wrote:I remember your post Alan and I recall furnishing you with the details as I understood it - assuming it was this one Roundhouse, Sunday 17th April, The Stranglers, Cherry Vanilla & The Jam.

I had just recd a poster advertising that very gig which was some strange coincidence. If my reference to the Freds meant something - it was only because I recalled from No Mercy where Hugh originally called the Finchleys 'Finchley Freds'...

Well done

Nice one Gary

I somehow knew that it would have been you 'Furnishing' me with the details.....nice to see you back on here Son

Just call me Fred from now on.

Al
C r a s s !
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by C r a s s ! »

Alan A Hillier wrote:
C r a s s ! wrote:I remember your post Alan and I recall furnishing you with the details as I understood it - assuming it was this one Roundhouse, Sunday 17th April, The Stranglers, Cherry Vanilla & The Jam.

Well done

Nice one Gary

I somehow knew that it would have been you 'Furnishing' me with the details.....nice to see you back on here Son

Just call me Fred from now on.

Al
I haven't been far - just lack of spare time these days, Fred!

crass :taxidriver:
http://www.strangled.co.uk/ The unofficial Stranglers site.