RAH

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: RAH

Post by ThinkTank »

jonimac wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:45
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 16:42

Actually La Folie tour i think it was regarding the white sheet ghosts dancing not the Meninblack tour
There was actually two parts to this.
It was the La Folie tour
They were called Mr _______ 20th century popular motets, an actual bar shop style quintet!
Magnificent audience participation at the Glasgow Apollo, as they sang their songs, and the crowd gradually worked out when the gaps would be, and then filled it in with “fu** off”.

After the Stranglers set ended, they were then sent out in large white shapes that formed the word “Folie” as the title track was played over the PA.
I was too young for the La Folie tour and only heard 2nd hand from friends on drunken nights chatting to my Stranglers friends of 40 years ago.
Great story and thanks for filling in my memory gaps I'm certain they said it was too waltzingblack but I bet they remembered it wrong if not me.

Weird and different supports was definitely their thing lol would of loved to have been their that night cheers.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Homer wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:48 Guy playing the spoons on the Feline tour was Nick Mallam. And it was Mr Spratts 20th Century Popular Motets on the La folie and they formed 'La Folie' in blankets or whatever at the end ....
The spoon playing I remember now ha ha great stuff
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:41
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 17:37
airflamesred wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 17:02
Oh yes, I remember all sorts of weird and wonderful things over the years but 3 blokes drumming for a minute seems somewhat ineffectual.
Now, if they had returned in some rat costumes for Sewer or wing flapping through Raven at least value for money could have been had.
I totally agree i did watch it and i think the same as your original post it was weird.

lol @ Rat costumes and flapping dancers to Raven nice one, comedy value for sure :grin: . I think that was what made the drummers worst it came across on you tube as if everyone was meant to take it seriously and be wowed by it all. Of course you cant get the true meaning and experience off the net but I really couldn't see the point of it.

Yes I watched it too and don't really get it either tbh...
OK it was different but I don't know why they were at the Stranglers 50th...
The best Bit was the drums leading into who wants the world but as the band continued on from their act with that song stage handlers were back and forth taking their drums away while the band was playing didn't quite get the immediatness to do that really either.
I'm not going to knock a dam good tour because it has been for sure and in a way they can never win because finally they get the selist right with good changes more in line with how fans wanted it to be like and then it's thought that the drumming act was weird.....lol
There will always be something not right or good enough....lol
Overall this band best tour since.........I dunno but a very long time.
I'm sure Toiler you know the drummers are meant to celebrate the crazy support acts they had of many years ago. But who knows.
Glad you think so highly of this tour at least you know the band have taken the 50 years really seriously. :smt023
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well the RAH gig looked fantastic a really special gig and the Drummers added to the night,looked great to me,of course to be their you got the full effect,of course it would have been JJs idea as his love of Japan obviously,I don't see why anyone would criticise the band for doing something different.I regret i didn't go but would have had to skive off work and I wish had of done as they are a load of C.nts where I work, people keep on leaving and going on long term sick,I may join them.Major Kudu.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Summer Dreamer wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 01:33
airflamesred wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 17:02
ThinkTank wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 16:11 So the drums were just sticking to some kind of 50 year tradition maybe .
Oh yes, I remember all sorts of weird and wonderful things over the years...
Starbase 109
Brilliant. I bought their two albums. Still give them the odd listen.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jonimac wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:45 They were called Mr _______ 20th century popular motets, an actual bar shop style quintet!
Mr Sprats 21st Century Popular Motets, weren't they a barber shop quartet from Bristol? Before my time, but the name sort-of rings a bell.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jonimac wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 20:45

Mr Sprats 21st Century Popular Motets, weren't they a barber shop quartet from Bristol? Before my time, but the name sort-of rings a bell.
Yes I they were.Only saw them because I wanted to get a spot near the front,early.The La Folie letters at the end looked rubbish.And it was definitely to the song La Folie,not Waltzinblack
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 22:27
toilerinblack wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 22:20 This tours blue flashing lights into JLNOE & the Ruby's 40th opening with the four of them coming down in boxes into toiler must stand out as this bands best two visual opening intos ...not the best gigs overall toy would have to go back to Hugh and the originals but visual openings.
Yes I was hoping for a MiB-themed intro this time. In fact, I can't fault the concept of the set.
Well me too...I was really hoping as many hardcore fans on here too that the setlist would consist of more Gospel songs......they delivered!
I loved JJ Rolling back the old days with the stage walk off in sewer reminded me off Paris '79 when he jumped playing into the crowd then Hugh did it after in that particular version of it.
I though that was great JJ playing to the side stage fans then before coming back on again he gave that woman a kiss.........superb touch JJ you've still got the magic...
Come on Baz your turn next to play into the crowd....it's an old stranglers tradition with their frontmen lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 29 Mar 2024, 19:45, edited 2 times in total.
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

So I was at RAH Tuesday evening to celebrate the group's 50th anniversary. Arriving in London on Friday evening, I was able to enjoy this city for a few days. After Paris, it's the city of my heart. I was able to visit a few record stores to bring back some souvenirs because we find the same vinyls all over the world now. In the 80s we unearthed some gems that were impossible to find in Paris. The times are changing.

So on Tuesday evening I took the 9 bus from Covent Garden to the RAH. In the rain, typical English weather. I arrived around 6:30 p.m., fans were already queuing to enter this legendary place. I'm always impressed by this fan base that the Stranglers have had for years, that's why I love going to the Stranglers concert in London.

A good glass of white wine, a salmon sandwich, a trip to the merchandising stand, I bought the tour T-Shirt, 4 pins, and a tote bag. I was in a good position, sitting right next to the pit.

At 8 p.m. sharp, the Stranglers arrived and played their first set. Amazing ! Very good sound quality, great energy, Toby's keyboards were high in the mix. Like JJ's bass. Genetix, Down in The Sewer, Princess and even Breathe were the highs for me.

End of the first set, great atmosphere, 30 minute intermission, just to go and relieve myself in the toilet.

30 minutes later, the Stranglers returned for the second set. 18 legendary pieces. Everything was perfect, the group lives well together. There is no doubt about the complicity of JJ & Baz.
Highlights: WWW, Dagenham Dave, Threatened, 5 minutes, White Stallion, Tank and of course No More Heroes.

More than 2 hours of great music, great atmosphere. The concert is over, can't wait for the next one in London and Paris on October 9.
I leave the RAH, it's raining, hallelujah, I find a taxi, I go back to the hotel. I had a great time.

Long live the Stranglers.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

jeromeinparis wrote:So I was at RAH Tuesday evening to celebrate the group's 50th anniversary. Arriving in London on Friday evening, I was able to enjoy this city for a few days. After Paris, it's the city of my heart. I was able to visit a few record stores to bring back some souvenirs because we find the same vinyls all over the world now. In the 80s we unearthed some gems that were impossible to find in Paris. The times are changing.

So on Tuesday evening I took the 9 bus from Covent Garden to the RAH. In the rain, typical English weather. I arrived around 6:30 p.m., fans were already queuing to enter this legendary place. I'm always impressed by this fan base that the Stranglers have had for years, that's why I love going to the Stranglers concert in London.

A good glass of white wine, a salmon sandwich, a trip to the merchandising stand, I bought the tour T-Shirt, 4 pins, and a tote bag. I was in a good position, sitting right next to the pit.

At 8 p.m. sharp, the Stranglers arrived and played their first set. Amazing ! Very good sound quality, great energy, Toby's keyboards were high in the mix. Like JJ's bass. Genetix, Down in The Sewer, Princess and even Breathe were the highs for me.

End of the first set, great atmosphere, 30 minute intermission, just to go and relieve myself in the toilet.

30 minutes later, the Stranglers returned for the second set. 18 legendary pieces. Everything was perfect, the group lives well together. There is no doubt about the complicity of JJ & Baz.
Highlights: WWW, Dagenham Dave, Threatened, 5 minutes, White Stallion, Tank and of course No More Heroes.

More than 2 hours of great music, great atmosphere. The concert is over, can't wait for the next one in London and Paris on October 9.
I leave the RAH, it's raining, hallelujah, I find a taxi, I go back to the hotel. I had a great time.

Long live the Stranglers.
Excellent, congratulations on a great trip !

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
PeteL
Rats Rally

Post by PeteL »

[quote=ThinkTank post_id=504194
Weird and different supports was definitely their thing …
[/quote]

I’ll never forget Gerry Arkwright, self confessed northern industrial gay (Keith Allen) opening for them at the Wembley Arena on the Dreamtime Tour
Yes I can drive drive
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes I so wish I could have been there.Major Kudu.