Cambridge

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Cambridge

Post by parasiteinblack »

I went to Cambridge, it was good.

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks because I was avoiding all the spoilers. I came back yesterday looking forward to catching up on all the chat about the tour, but it seems to have been killed off and the setlist discussion was locked so that's really great, thanks everyone. :roll:
I am posting this a day later because I wondered whether there was even any point if the same old faces are just going to post the same old tosh once again. Let's see shall we...

I managed to be surprised by the setlist, there were great performances, and JJ and Baz especially seemed to be having a great time. Baz was possibly at the best I've ever seen him.
I don't know if it was just my ears but some of Toby's keyboard work sounded very off at times, particularly when he was using an organ sound. Sewer and SBC in particular did not hit as they should.

Hallow, Ships, North Winds and Time to Die were all especially great to hear.

I think they could have easily snuck in another 2 from the 90s, and I think Lost Control was the poorest choice from the Norfolk Coast album (at least there was something I suppose), but there were so many great song selections that it seems churlish to moan.

If you like Stranglers songs then this is probably the best way to experience them live in 2024, and I am qualified to say that as I have seen both of the living original Stranglers perform this year.

Can we have a Paul gig now please? I want to hear Wet Afternoon and Face and if the Stranglers aren't going to play them on their 50th anniversary tour then there's probably zero chance of them playing them any other time.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Cambridge

Post by evonx »

Lost Control was the poorest choice from the Norfolk Coast album
Someone in the band really must love it, they keep coming back to that one but I also think it is one of the weakest tracks on the Norfolk Coast cd
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Glad you enjoyed it.Not keen on lost control myself,maybe the title track Norfolk Coast would be a better fit.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:03
Someone in the band really must love it, they keep coming back to that one but I also think it is one of the weakest tracks on the Norfolk Coast cd
Yes that's what I thought too...from an album that probably for me is their best post Hugh with so many other great tracks to it's name that never gets a look in or airing they keep playing this one not that it's a band one ...someone really likes it obviously.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Yes definitely, I suspect it is a "Baz favourite" as it's one of his songs isn't it?
I remember someone on here before the album coming out raving about how it was the best Stranglers song in 20 years so maybe that's part of it too.

Either way, the title track was the obvious choice but Big Thing Coming or Mine All Mine would have been good to hear live again too.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Mine All Mine
100% Paul Roberts written so I don't expect that one - they did it once acoustic with Baz singing on the 2011 convention, was OK I suppose even if Baz struggled with the vocals a bit.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:21
Yes definitely, I suspect it is a "Baz favourite" as it's one of his songs isn't it?
I remember someone on here before the album coming out raving about how it was the best Stranglers song in 20 years so maybe that's part of it too.

I would like to hear tuckers grave but to be fair I only think Paul's vocals is good enough to pull it off live so I don't think we'll ever get that one...my special NC track has to be fire but again we'll never get that one either.
To me this tours set list is great as it is....it's a great one so as a non gig goer I'm more than happy with that they have been doing.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'd much rather Long Black Veil, Dutch Moon, Into the fire or I don't agree.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

jason wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:38 I don't agree.
I love I Don't Agree, it's one of my all-time favourites, but I don't know how it would work without Paul singing it.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

evonx wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:10
Mine All Mine
100% Paul Roberts written so I don't expect that one - they did it once acoustic with Baz singing on the 2011 convention, was OK I suppose even if Baz struggled with the vocals a bit.
Ah yeah, I heard that on the bonus disc with Giants. I was glad that they gave it a go at least, although they clearly never bothered to learn the third verse that Paul always sang live.

Sorry I know I keep banging on about a former Stranglers frontman in the current lineup forum, I hope that's not against the rules or anything... :wink:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 17:56 I went to Cambridge, it was good.

I've not been on the forum for a few weeks because I was avoiding all the spoilers. I came back yesterday looking forward to catching up on all the chat about the tour, but it seems to have been killed off and the setlist discussion was locked so that's really great, thanks everyone. :roll:
I am posting this a day later because I wondered whether there was even any point if the same old faces are just going to post the same old tosh once again. Let's see shall we...

I managed to be surprised by the setlist, there were great performances, and JJ and Baz especially seemed to be having a great time. Baz was possibly at the best I've ever seen him.
I don't know if it was just my ears but some of Toby's keyboard work sounded very off at times, particularly when he was using an organ sound. Sewer and SBC in particular did not hit as they should.

I think they could have easily snuck in another 2 from the 90s, and I think Lost Control was the poorest choice from the Norfolk Coast album (at least there was something I suppose), but there were so many great song selections that it seems churlish to moan.

If you like Stranglers songs then this is probably the best way to experience them live in 2024, and I am qualified to say that as I have seen both of the living original Stranglers perform this year.

Can we have a Paul gig now please? I want to hear Wet Afternoon and Face and if the Stranglers aren't going to play them on their 50th anniversary tour then there's probably zero chance of them playing them any other time.
Glad you enjoyed it,I'm off to my one and only gig Portsmouth tomorrow but have chest infection so I don't think I will enjoy it that much,I will see first 50 minutes and may leave,can't cancel Hotel so have to go,so glad you enjoyed it.Major Kudu.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 20:26
parasiteinblack wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 17:56 I went to Cambridge, it was good.

Glad you enjoyed it,I'm off to my one and only gig Portsmouth tomorrow but have chest infection so I don't think I will enjoy it that much,I will see first 50 minutes and may leave,can't cancel Hotel so have to go,so glad you enjoyed it.Major Kudu.
The first 50 are definitely the most fan-pleasing, but it's worth sticking around for Ships imo. Hope your chest gets better!