Glasgow SEC ARMADILLO Stage Times

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Glasgow SEC ARMADILLO Stage Times

Post by MiB81 »

Gotta belated and quick review, so guess this is the place to stick it :wink:

A bit of context, after last years "Final" tour I reckoned that that was a suitable time for me to quit all this seeing The Stranglers live
malarky, but, as luck would have it, my daughter got me a ticket for last years Father's day and, just like Micky Corleone, I was
pulled back in again.
I found the gig much more enjoyable than last year's Glasgow gig, and probly better than I've seen the band for a wee while now.
The band was musically tight, and accomplished, great sound over-all, and I thought the vocals from the whole band were spot on, but,
for me, I thought Burnel sounded great on Friday night, the best I've heard him sing in a very long time, confident, assured, melodic.
The set list was good (the 1st set in particular), yes, there were a few missing classics (Toiler, Sleazy, Sometimes notable for me) and
nothing that hadn't been played live before (I remember Hallow from the Glasgow Apollo leg of the MiB Tour)- when JJ started mentioning
the oldest Stranglers tune I half expected/wished for Hereafter, but it was GBG, of course.I loved the burbling synth JLNOE intro to the first
set, I noticed Baz do a cool wee trick with a Looper for his acoustic parts of Breath, and laughed when on completing the solo in Heroes,
instead of downing his drink like the mighty Dave used to do, Toby just wiped his brow in a mightily relieved fashion :lol: . I was also
interested to note that the biggest crowd reactions were for the hits (GB, ATS, Skin Deep) and that's when the phones came out from the
folk around me in the balcony. Speaking of the crowd, it was a big, sold out appreciative throng, and much bigger than usual? The
Amadildo was a good venue, or different at least, which in its self was good. And a bit weird, and probly a bit prophetically portentous too,
as the very first time I saw The Stranglers I was seated and looking down from a balcony. Truth be told, and due to various factors, I probly
enjoyed the chance to sit this time around too, I remember hobbling out the O2 last year, back and feet aching after being stood/dancing
for that gig.
So, yeah, very happy to have seen, and been part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations, and fuknose what might draw me back next time,
but as I've learned, never say never.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

MiB81 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 12:15 Gotta belated and quick review, so guess this is the place to stick it :wink:

A bit of context, after last years "Final" tour I reckoned that that was a suitable time for me to quit all this seeing The Stranglers live
malarky, but, as luck would have it, my daughter got me a ticket for last years Father's day and, just like Micky Corleone, I was
pulled back in again.
I found the gig much more enjoyable than last year's Glasgow gig, and probly better than I've seen the band for a wee while now.
The band was musically tight, and accomplished, great sound over-all, and I thought the vocals from the whole band were spot on, but,
for me, I thought Burnel sounded great on Friday night, the best I've heard him sing in a very long time, confident, assured, melodic.
The set list was good (the 1st set in particular), yes, there were a few missing classics (Toiler, Sleazy, Sometimes notable for me) and
nothing that hadn't been played live before (I remember Hallow from the Glasgow Apollo leg of the MiB Tour)- when JJ started mentioning
the oldest Stranglers tune I half expected/wished for Hereafter, but it was GBG, of course.I loved the burbling synth JLNOE intro to the first
set, I noticed Baz do a cool wee trick with a Looper for his acoustic parts of Breath, and laughed when on completing the solo in Heroes,
instead of downing his drink like the mighty Dave used to do, Toby just wiped his brow in a mightily relieved fashion :lol: . I was also
interested to note that the biggest crowd reactions were for the hits (GB, ATS, Skin Deep) and that's when the phones came out from the
folk around me in the balcony. Speaking of the crowd, it was a big, sold out appreciative throng, and much bigger than usual? The
Amadildo was a good venue, or different at least, which in its self was good. And a bit weird, and probly a bit prophetically portentous too,
as the very first time I saw The Stranglers I was seated and looking down from a balcony. Truth be told, and due to various factors, I probly
enjoyed the chance to sit this time around too, I remember hobbling out the O2 last year, back and feet aching after being stood/dancing
for that gig.
So, yeah, very happy to have seen, and been part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations, and fuknose what might draw me back next time,
Thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it. I did both Glasgow and Edinburgh and felt that Glasgow was the better gig.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

MiB81 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 12:15 Gotta belated and quick review, so guess this is the place to stick it :wink:

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Great review MIB - Cheers.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Josh wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 18:57

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Thanks for that, glad you enjoyed it. I did both Glasgow and Edinburgh and felt that Glasgow was the better gig.
Cheers Josh :smt006
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Palais23 wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 19:37

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Great review MIB - Cheers.
Thanks mate :smt006
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Is JJ enthusiastic for this tour only I've seen a couple of pics with his face like thunder.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Great post......glad you enjoyed the gig.
I too thought as you've said how good JLNOE was as an opener a great choice qlkng with it's blue flashing lights and as you have well described with it's burbling synth greatly lengthened out until they came on.....perfect build up i thought that probably would of sounded even better had I been there in the crowd....I'm sure of that.
Good to see them do Hallow at long last even though some of the guitar lead work wasn't quite the same I thought,never the less they have pulled out a good 2 sets worth.For me JJ has been playing absolutely on top form throughout the whole two sets....especially in Hallow.
Thanks great post....
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Josh wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 18:57

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Interesting. I thought the band were amazing both nights, sound slightly better in Glasgow with the modern acoustics in mind venue.
Crowd slightly more up for it in Edinburgh.
So glad I went to both.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Mar 2024, 19:41

pulled back in again.
for that gig.
Great post......glad you enjoyed the gig.
I too thought as you've said how good JLNOE was as an opener a great choice qlkng with it's blue flashing lights and as you have well described with it's burbling synth greatly lengthened out until they came on.....perfect build up i thought that probably would of sounded even better had I been there in the crowd....I'm sure of that.
Good to see them do Hallow at long last even though some of the guitar lead work wasn't quite the same I thought,never the less they have pulled out a good 2 sets worth.For me JJ has been playing absolutely on top form throughout the whole two sets....especially in Hallow.
Thanks great post....
:smt006