Cruel World Festival, Pasadena, May 2024

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Cruel World Festival, Pasadena, May 2024

Post by droopsnoot »

On the poster if you look far enough down.

cruel-world-fest-2024-lineup-brookside-at-rose-bowl-pasaden-los-angeles.jpg
cruel-world-fest-2024-lineup-brookside-at-rose-bowl-pasaden-los-angeles.jpg (231.23 KiB) Viewed 22983 times
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Cruel World Festival, Pasadena, May 2024

Post by theraven1979 »

The organiser's probably said "ah yes 'JJ & Friends' you'll on on before Heaven 17" :lol: :roll:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

It IS the States after all. SO it will be interesting to see the perception in the UK with the festivals.

Adam Ant does alot in America and is obviously far more visible for example.

Not exactly star billing though is it?
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I guess it's like that other one a few years back in Vegas, they're not exactly well known over there. A decent bit of cash for a few hours work, and maybe an opportunity for them to do a few gigs while they're over there. And not really a festival full of bands of a similar style as far a I can tell.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

droopsnoot wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:13 I guess it's like that other one a few years back in Vegas, they're not exactly well known over there. A decent bit of cash for a few hours work, and maybe an opportunity for them to do a few gigs while they're over there. And not really a festival full of bands of a similar style as far a I can tell.
That low on the set I'm not too sure they would get paid very much. I would have expected them to be in between Placebo and Simple Minds even taking in to account its the USA.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

*That low on the set I'm not too sure they would get paid very much. I would have expected them to be in between Placebo and Simple Minds even taking in to account its the USA.*

I doubt they'd be between those two bands in the UK. But its a holiday in LA.

Im surprised JAMC above gary numan.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:55
droopsnoot wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:13 I guess it's like that other one a few years back in Vegas, they're not exactly well known over there. A decent bit of cash for a few hours work, and maybe an opportunity for them to do a few gigs while they're over there. And not really a festival full of bands of a similar style as far a I can tell.
That low on the set I'm not too sure they would get paid very much. I would have expected them to be in between Placebo and Simple Minds even taking in to account its the USA.
I was thinking that too...way to far down the listing they should be up the pegging order amongst some of the ones you have mentioned agreed ...still it doesn't really matter it's a crust and getting them heard over there to people who like the '80s bands and music who might not be to familiar with the bands more newer line up and their material and like what they hear and may just purchase some of their material you never know so I can see why they have said yes to this retro rewind stlye of evet of the '80s bands and I think there are some good names on there... they certainly fit the bill amongst the other bands to play at this gig and I think Gary Numan is still pretty dam good leading the way from the others in there for me and if I was there they are the two I would want to see the Stranglers and Gary out of the names on there,but on the whole there's not many names that's my cup of tea lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Dec 2023, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 15:28
The Stranglers & Gary Numan are the best two for me.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 15:39

For me it would be Blondie , Gary Numan , Jesus And The Mary Chain and Adam Ant for the fun element but not necessarily in that order. The rest on that list i wouldn't care about.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 17:44

For me it would be Blondie , Gary Numan , Jesus And The Mary Chain and Adam Ant for the fun element but not necessarily in that order. The rest on that list i wouldn't care about.
Yes Blondie I've seen so much now who I rate as one of the best bands to come out of the '80s for sure who has my most favourite drummer in glem he is the heartbeat of the whole blondie sound for sure and when he played with Hugh he lifted the whole empty sound of his three piece and on hugh's improvisations like he does in Sewer Clem's drumming through it rasied the roof and the whole song in general an ovwrall brilliant t gig with Clem joining him and Fish whose Clem's mate who got him to play with Hugh in the first place.
Clem would be in my top Hugh solo three piece along with Caz and if those three had played togehter that would be my best Hugh line up as a solo artist ever because we can't put JJ in because that ever going to happen so the next best three piece for me would be with Hugh,Caz and Clem would be phenomenal together and Clem's in a great Blondie tribute band who are just excellent too.
Chris of blondie is one amazing songwriter who knows how to produce hit after hit a very clever musician and I've have nothing but respect for him Clem and especially Debbie.
I've nearly finished her book 'Face it' that's been just a great great read on the bands history.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 06 Dec 2023, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 18:09
ThinkTank wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 17:44
Yes Blondie I've seen so much now who I rate as one of the best bands to come out of the '80s for sure who has my most favourite drummer in glem he is the heartbeat of the wnole blondie sound for sure and when he played with Hugh he lifted the whole empty sound of his three piece and on hugh's improvisations like he does in Sewer glem's drumming through it rasied the roof and the whole song in general an ovwrall brilliant t gig with Glem joining him and Fish whose Glem's mate who got him to play with Hugh in the first place.
Glem would be in my top Hugh solo three piece along with Caz and if those three had played togehter that would be my best Hugh line up as a solo artist ever because we can't put JJ in because that ever going to happen so the next best three piece for me would be with Hugh,Caz and Glem would be phenomenal together and Glem's in a great Blondie tribute band who are just excellent too.
Chris of blondie is one amazing songwriter I have nothing but respect for him Glem and especially Debbie.
I've nearly finished her book 'Face it' that's been just a great great read on the bands history.
I would love to have seen Blondie live i never got the chance and i probably wouldn't bother now but i bet that would have been a great gig in its day. I liked Clem as a drummer too as well a Caz and i thought Caz backing vocals really accompanied Hugh vocals perfectly.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

ThinkTank wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:55 That low on the set I'm not too sure they would get paid very much.
They wouldn't be going if it wasn't worth it. Sure, they won't be getting massive amounts, but it won't be £50 and a plate of sandwiches.