Now and Then..... release day.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Now and Then..... release day.

Post by toilerinblack »

Well I've heard many raw demo versions and the 95 beatles bits and pieces version of this unfinished song of John's ...but on hearing the final version released today from John's raw first 79 piano demo cassette version now 42 years on i was amazed at the final finished version released today as now with the technology they didn't have back in '95 when the remaining three beatles were together in the studio but didn't have the technology back then to properly split john's vocals out so it remained a shelved demo until now where they can and have been able and I think have done a wonderful version and justice to just a beautiful song written by John all those decades ago.
Now you have had the Mccartney magic added to it with his piano,bass and vocals along with the added slide guitar,strings and ringo's drums this has now become a great full on beatles version and I for one love it what do you think of the final new Beatles song in now 2023.....quite something I say.
It has that typical classic chord change sequence written by Johnn in a way like only he does and I think the changes and sequence is quite brilliantly done.
What do you think of the final version released do you like it? Or is this type of song not for you?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Now and Then..... release day.

Post by theraven1979 »

Just heard it - not a bad song for The Beatles

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Not heard it, wasn't aware of it, but will give it a blast. When was Lennons vocals recorded?
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

79 I think. The demo started playing on YouTube after it.

Jim
Waffle waitress wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:39 Not heard it, wasn't aware of it, but will give it a blast. When was Lennons vocals recorded?
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Waffle waitress wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:39 Not heard it, wasn't aware of it, but will give it a blast. When was Lennons vocals recorded?
Edit- Sorry just reread post. 1979

Liberez les Stranglers!
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Thanks. And great original post :wink:
So, it's not a lost Beatles era track then, rather a Lennon demo from nearly 10 years after the band stopped writing, that's been added to, musically, recently? 🤔 So, if so, who's to say this is the final new beatles song?
Surely, for example, Macca has a ton of tunes, on cassette, in a shoe box, just waiting for him to cop it? Morbid, l know, but l think if the market called for even more final new beatles songs they wouldn't prove too difficult to find.
I will give the song a blast later..

Liberez les Stranglers!
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Here's something really morbid (it's Halloween) but imagine for a moment that, God forbid, Hugh passed away, and the songs he had as demos, probly for his next solo album somehow getting recorded (using "technology ") and released by the latest version of the Stranglers and passed off as final new Stranglers songs
:lol:

Liberez les Stranglers!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Waffle waitress wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:59 Thanks. And great original post :wink:
So, it's not a lost Beatles era track then, rather a Lennon demo from nearly 10 years after the band stopped writing, that's been added to, musically, recently? 🤔 So, if so, who's to say this is the final new beatles song?
Surely, for example, Macca has a ton of tunes, on cassette, in a shoe box, just waiting for him to cop it? Morbid, l know, but l think if the market called for even more final new beatles songs they wouldn't prove too difficult to find.
Yes your correct not a lost Beatles track but a '79 John solo demo cassette tape with what the beatles already worked and completed in tribute for John with two of the three demo songs free as a bird and Real love back in '95 but didn't have the technology we now have to be able to separate John's vocals on Now and then.
Paul wanted to do this because sometime after John's death Yoko gave these demos to Paul in an envelope written from John saying on it.......For Paul.
So I think it meant a lot to Paul to get these demos done that have now turned out to be more of a full on styled Beatles track because it has all four of them on it and the slide guitar part was done by George back in '95 but they shelved the song because they had problems separating John's vocals off the cassette but today they can and now have completed it,so it is a proper Beatles track but obviously you can tell it's a typical late John written stlyed song but what I like is Paul's added ideas and influence of bass, piano and vocals whose now turned a rough gem to a diamond.......
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

There are other not good finished versions on youtube if you want to hear today's final beatles version then tou have to listen to ....Now and Then (Official Audio) when it only came out today a few hours ago on youtube.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 18:39
Waffle waitress wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 17:59 Thanks. And great original post :wink:
Yes your correct not a lost Beatles track but a '79 John solo demo cassette tape with what the beatles already worked and completed in tribute for John with two of the three demo songs free as a bird and Real love back in '95 but didn't have the technology we now have to be able to separate John's vocals on Now and then.
Paul wanted to do this because sometime after John's death Yoko gave these demos to Paul in an envelope written from John saying on it.......For Paul.
So I think it meant a lot to Paul to get these demos done that have now turned out to be more of a full on styled Beatles track because it has all four of them on it and the slide guitar part was done by George back in '95 but they shelved the song because they had problems separating John's vocals off the cassette but today they can and now have completed it,so it is a proper Beatles track but obviously you can tell it's a typical late John written stlyed song but what I like is Paul's added ideas and influence of bass, piano and vocals whose now turned a rough gem to a diamond.......
Ok, thanks for info, as l said, l don't know the history of the track, or that George was on it.. All lve read so far has been here. I will listen tonight :lol:
Here's hoping the "technologies " used don't include AI :lol:

Liberez les Stranglers!
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

toilerinblack wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 18:49 There are other not good finished versions on youtube if you want to hear today's final beatles version then tou have to listen to ....Now and Then (Official Audio) when it only came out today a few hours ago on youtube.
👍

Liberez les Stranglers!
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Official link to make it easier for us old ones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW55J2zE3N4