The Best of Baz

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: The Best of Baz

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 15:28
toilerinblack wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 13:18
ThinkTank wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 12:55

I think if i could have asked you back in the day when you were enjoying Hugh in the band would you have followed the band in the current state that they are today? you would be horrified by the thought and answer the same. When Baz continues as i think he will i bet you still do follow them.

It would make no logical sense why yourself and other fans didn't especially after all the changes they have gone through already and Baz is now the lead singer and front man of the band why would you not get the same enjoyment now with out JJ.

It wouldn't be the same without JJ of course but no different surely to not the same with out Hugh,Paul,John,Dave, and Jet
You have a point but for me only if JJ left that draws a line and I honestly believe they don't think they could carry on without him and if they do then have a new band with the three of them still there but I wouldn't want to see the brand name continue on without JJ.
They just about are getting away with being the Stranglers still becuase JJ is still there whose such a main original member,frontman and bassist from those classic times,without him I cannot see how they can or would to want to still gig as the Stranglers.
If and when JJ has had enough I think he could or might still work with Baz in some format or another...time will tell and I think they could still gig as The Stranglers for a long time yet anyway with new material.....we'll here's hoping so anyway lol
Baz has been in the band for over 20 years and as the lead singer role for longer than Hugh was. That's a hell of an acceptance from the fans and by the time JJ leaves the band you could probably add another 5 years to that as well.

I have to disagree with you about Baz he could definitely do it and I don't think Baz could really be successful in another band but I'm pretty sure he would continue very successfully leading the stranglers without JJ. if its just a live tours sort of thing and an odd album now and again.
He certainly would want to lead the band i have seen the interview of him answering that exact same question and even though the interviewer was pushing him to answer with a yes just so he could get a scoop of course. But Enough pushing for Baz to let on to me he's very interested even though he keeps dismissing it he doesnt without enthusiastic Yeh's to the interviewer of approval and giving examples why it does sound a good idea to do. He even asks the interviewer "What do you think" and responds enthusiastically to the interviewer saying he should. The dismissing i felt was just biding his time.

At what point in time does Baz not deserve to wear the Stranglers Brand on tour he's been there long enough now and proved himself by now surely. He's been the lead singer now longer than other bands even last let alone as the guitarist..

I'm playing devils advocate of course because i agree totally with you but i do feel that time is coming and it will happen.
Intresting read....I just honestly can't see a way forwards for the band or the wanting to for many of it's fans as a guess only if there was ever to be a continuation if and when JJ pulls the plug on his fantastically long career,yes there'll always be gig goers who wouldn't really care whose up there as they are going for the music alone who like the Stranglers music and a good night out and why not good luck to them all who would want to still go.
Could Baz do it if JJ called time and left? Absolutely he could along with Jim who both have been there long enough with the experiance too no question there yes and Toby plays as if he's been there playing at the back for years too which is quite remarkable his settling in time I think.
They all get on and are very professional as individuals and as a unit so all the ingredients are there to if they wish to that is.
Do I think they should do as one fans opinion only......No
I think there would be an effect in the gig goers numbers and tickets sold personally and that's only a guess only tbh who knows how well they would actually do without JJ.
If they want to still carry on and it could happen as to be fair JJ has been doing this for nearly 50 years so i do understand at some point he will say that's it I'm done,I'd much prefer as one fan only they would start another band a new name and not the continuation of an inherited brand name if they ever was to that is without JJ,again I could be wrong but i just can't see that happening myself.
I'd much more hope baz would continue his music career on further say as the former Stranglers frontman in say more the solo gigs direction like Hugh,I'd honestly like to think they wouldn't what with then no originals left and that would be the right decision if they did with a band they all joined which was an already long established and successful one which now has none of them left, yes they have the right to but i hope they wouldn't as one fan only and carry on with the name they all inherited.
Again it's only my view and he may feel he wants to or plans to but not while it's still going with JJ still very much in control and at the helm...I wouldn't know how he feels only he knows but I hope they wouldn't but they could easily do just that yes if they wish to that is.
Who knows we will see but I can still see them all continuing on with JJ for quite a few years yet tbh.
So for me either together as a new band once JJ leaves or Baz to solo or even duoing with JJ at small venues maybe as they are so good friends,acoustic nights togehter I couldd see as an option after the band ends that would be nice too as they have done already in the past....an acoustic night with JJ & Baz doing some of the old hits from time to time maybe.
Let the Stranglers end with JJ is how i feel only and not a continuation with what then would be a tribute or inherited band yes I would agree then but it's no tribute band whilst JJ is still there.
So again....only time will tell!
But for the moment it's all hearsay and the band are still very much together getting ready for one big year next year for them and their fans and maybe recording new material this winter so presently it's looking all good on the Stranglers front.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 16:49
toilerinblack wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 13:18
You have a point but for me only if JJ left that draws a line and I honestly believe they don't think they could carry on without him and if they do then have a new band with the three of them still there but I wouldn't want to see the brand name continue on without JJ.
They just about are getting away with being the Stranglers still becuase JJ is still there whose such a main original member,frontman and bassist from those classic times,without him I cannot see how they can or would to want to still gig as the Stranglers.
If and when JJ has had enough I think he could or might still work with Baz in some format or another...time will tell and I think they could still gig as The Stranglers for a long time yet anyway with new material.....we'll here's hoping so anyway lol
Baz has been in the band for over 20 years and as the lead singer role for longer than Hugh was. That's a hell of an acceptance from the fans and by the time JJ leaves the band you could probably add another 5 years to that as well.

I have to disagree with you about Baz he could definitely do it and I don't think Baz could really be successful in another band but I'm pretty sure he would continue very successfully leading the stranglers without JJ. if its just a live tours sort of thing and an odd album now and again.
He certainly would want to lead the band i have seen the interview of him answering that exact same question and even though the interviewer was pushing him to answer with a yes just so he could get a scoop of course. But Enough pushing for Baz to let on to me he's very interested even though he keeps dismissing it he doesnt without enthusiastic Yeh's to the interviewer of approval and giving examples why it does sound a good idea to do. He even asks the interviewer "What do you think" and responds enthusiastically to the interviewer saying he should. The dismissing i felt was just biding his time.

At what point in time does Baz not deserve to wear the Stranglers Brand on tour he's been there long enough now and proved himself by now surely. He's been the lead singer now longer than other bands even last let alone as the guitarist..

I'm playing devils advocate of course because i agree totally with you but i do feel that time is coming and it will happen.
Intresting read....I just honestly can't see a way forwards for the band or the wanting to for many of it's fans as a guess only if there was ever to be a continuation if and when JJ pulls the plug on his fantastically long career,yes there'll always be gig goers who wouldn't really care whose up there as they are going for the music alone who like the Stranglers music and a good night out and why not good luck to them all who would want to still go.
Could Baz do it if JJ called time and left? Absolutely he could along with Jim who both have been there long enough with the experiance too no question there yes and Toby plays as if he's been there playing at the back for years too which is quite remarkable his settling in time I think.
They all get on and are very professional as individuals and as a unit so all the ingredients are there to if they wish to that is.
I think there would be an effect in the gig goers numbers and tickets sold personally and that's only a guess only tbh who knows how well they would actually do without JJ.
If they want to still carry on and it could happen as to be fair JJ has been doing this for nearly 50 years so i do understand at some point he will say that's it I'm done,I'd much prefer as one fan only they would start another band a new name and not the continuation of an inherited brand name if they ever was to that is without JJ,again I could be wrong but i just can't see that happening myself.
I'd much more hope baz would continue his music career on further say as the former Stranglers frontman in say more the solo gigs direction like Hugh,I'd honestly like to think they wouldn't what with then no originals left and that would be the right decision if they did with a band they all joined which was an already long established and successful one which now has none of them left, yes they have the right to but i hope they wouldn't as one fan only and carry on with the name they all inherited.
Again it's only my view and he may feel he wants to or plans to but not while it's still going with JJ still very much in control and at the helm...I wouldn't know how he feels only he knows but I hope they wouldn't but they could easily do just that yes if they wish to that is.
Who knows we will see but I can still see them all continuing on with JJ for quite a few years yet tbh.
So for me either together as a new band once JJ leaves or Baz to solo or even duoing with JJ at small venues maybe as they are so good friends,acoustic nights togehter I couldd see as an option after the band ends that would be nice too as they have done already in the past....an acoustic night with JJ & Baz doing some of the old hits from time to time maybe.
Let the Stranglers end with JJ is how i feel only and not a continuation with what then would be a tribute or inherited band yes I would agree then but it's no tribute band whilst JJ is still there.
But for the moment it's all hearsay and the band are still very much together getting ready for one big year next year for them and their fans and maybe recording new material this winter so presently it's looking all good on the Stranglers front.
Reading between the lines of what Hugh said at the Birmingham gig i think Hugh will keep going till probably late 2025 hopefully finish on another album and another tour if we cant convince him to go on longer that is. So i think you can be fairly confident that JJ will go on longer than that as I'm sure the competitive JJ will want to be the last man standing and outlast Hugh.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yanders wrote:
evonx wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 12:22
Eastenders
So JJ is our Ian Beale?
Thats why hugh could never rejoin the stranglers, it wouldnt be the same as it was in the good old days, and we'd just be disappointed. He'd be our cathy beale.
There's no Stranglers to rejoin

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 10:59
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 23:24
kenl wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 20:00 Perhaps you could enlighten us with your history with the band. Might let the rest of us understand where you are coming from.
I would have thought it was quite clear where I'm coming from.

Let's just pretend that the Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield line-up didn't exist and Stranglers history began in 1991 with the five piece line-up or in 2011 with Giants. Would many of you be here? Probably not.
Well of course not,none of us would be here
and this is all that really needs to be said as it says it all.

The only reason people go and see JJ Burnel & Friends is because they can't see Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield anymore. Some people are happy to accept a very tenuous imitation partly out of nostalgia and brand loyalty and a desire to not feel old. I don't see the point in accepting an imitation when the real thing lives on in the records and bootlegs.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 08:03
Yanders wrote:
evonx wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 12:22

So JJ is our Ian Beale?
Thats why hugh could never rejoin the stranglers, it wouldnt be the same as it was in the good old days, and we'd just be disappointed. He'd be our cathy beale.
There's no Stranglers to rejoin
Haha, yeah! Hugh is far better off solo. Hugh teaming up with JJ, Toby and Jim (because Baz would probably want to have nothing to do with it) would just be Hugh Cornwell solo with JJ on bass and his songs put through some kind of fake Stranglers filter. The last thing that I'd want and the last thing he'd want. It'd only dilute the potency of his songs.

The best case scenario, and the most credible, would be for Hugh to stay solo and for JJ to go solo again.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 19:54

Reading between the lines of what Hugh said at the Birmingham gig i think Hugh will keep going till probably late 2025 hopefully finish on another album and another tour if we cant convince him to go on longer that is. So i think you can be fairly confident that JJ will go on longer than that as I'm sure the competitive JJ will want to be the last man standing and outlast Hugh.
Right intersting what you have said it would be great to still have both with more new material each if only for one more each I'll take that lol
Your right though I've often thought about possible competition from both sides do they think while they or him are still going so I or we will too,or will either side want to be the first to finally call it a day first whilest the other camp is still going?
I wouldn't really know if there is half an eye on what eachother is doing or not,I think from Hugh's perspective he's really far to busy planning forwards knowing exactly where he's at to really be arsed about what his ex band is doing well he certainly talks as if he really couldn't care what they are doing without him it's all in the long past these days but you can't help thinking would either one want to be the one whose the last one still standing especially with their history in both starting out together from '74 with Hugh only to walk from them and their successful following so could there be any point to prove to eachother ? Maybe there's none of that competitiveness and at least both can be proud of what they have gone on and achieved togehter and also separately......but who will quit first JJ or Hugh?
Time will tell but it could be similar in timing i'm guessing with a couple of years left for both with maybe one more album from each with tours too......but as a fan of both i do hope for more than that from both but i'm not holding out for much more past 2025 and it looks li,e the band could be first to record anything new if they are to this winter but who knows what Hugh too might have planned and up his sleeve, 50 years is an amazing goal to reach for both camps .....even though separately.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 06 Aug 2023, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

My best of Baz would be.

Dutch Moon
Spectre
Barbara
Long black veil
Relentless
Bless you
Fickle
15 Steps
If Somethings gonna kill me
Last Men on the Moon
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 17:39 My best of Baz would be.

Dutch Moon
Spectre
Barbara
Long black veil
Relentless
Bless you
Fickle
15 Steps
Last Men on the Moon
Great list from you....his best are all there I think.
He does play and sing a beautiful acoustic version of Dutch Moon and Bless You too.
Again great all round Best of Baz list I think too.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

jason wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 17:39 My best of Baz would be.

Dutch Moon
Spectre
Barbara
Long black veil
Relentless
Bless you
Fickle
15 Steps
Last Men on the Moon
Back on topic, thank you.👍
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Aug 2023, 15:23
ThinkTank wrote: 05 Aug 2023, 19:54
Right intersting what you have said it would be great to still have both with more new material each if only for one more each I'll take that lol
Your right though I've often thought about possible competition from both sides do they think while they or him are still going so I or we will too,or will either side want to be the first to finally call it a day first whilest the other camp is still going?
I wouldn't really know if there is half an eye on what eachother is doing or not,I think from Hugh's perspective he's really far to busy planning forwards knowing exactly where he's at to really be arsed about what his ex band is doing well he certainly talks as if he really couldn't care what they are doing without him it's all in the long past these days but you can't help thinking would either one want to be the one whose the last one still standing especially with their history in both starting out together from '74 with Hugh only to walk from them and their successful following so could there be any point to prove to eachother ? Maybe there's none of that competitiveness and at least both can be proud of what they have gone on and achieved togehter and also separately......but who will quit first JJ or Hugh?
Time will tell but it could be similar in timing i'm guessing with a couple of years left for both with maybe one more album from each with tours too......but as a fan of both i do hope for more than that from both but i'm not holding out for much more past 2025 and it looks li,e the band could be first to record anything new if they are to this winter but who knows what Hugh too might have planned and up his sleeve, 50 years is an amazing goal to reach for both camps .....even though separately.
I am only reading what i think into it. I just think that Hugh might think every day after you are 75 is pushing it really to still be able to continue at a standard that he feels is acceptable. It must be really difficult i would think when you over 70 even to do a set of 40 tracks especially the faster ones.

I am sure Hugh wouldn't be giving the band a single thought he chose to leave and move on its everyone else really that keeps linking him back to the band I'm sure you are right he's a forward thinking person he wont care what the band do or think and he will lead his life very independently and not be influenced by what they do.

I had Rockpalast playing today loud on the speakers and that bear cage just sounded fantastic and the trumpet fitted the song perfectly the whole performance just works beautifully. I am really looking forward to 2024 its been too long already since i last saw Hugh Play i think I'm going to go to as many gigs as i can next year treat it as a possible last.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

Could we start a new thread about HUGH in the HUGH area of the forum? 🤣
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

My best of Baz.

Relentless
Dutch Moon (acoustic duo with JJ version)
If Somethings gonna kill me (Dark Matters acoustic session)
Moon
She's slipping away
Barbara
Bless You
Lowlands
No Mans Land
This Song
Mercury Rising
Another Camden Afternoon.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 07 Aug 2023, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.