The Best of Baz

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Best of Baz

Post by Cells&Plasma »

kenl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 15:46 Perhaps Stan would be better sticking to the mk1 forum, 🤔
Very true but he loves gaslighting here. Who guards the Guards??
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:37
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:28
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:08 If Baz reads this thread and I'm sure he won't,he may like the early parts but will probably want to quit with some of the other comments.Major Kudu.
Everyone has there say about the band and will always think differently.
I think they will be putting on a great tour for their 50th.....bring on the strings again at the Royal Albert Hall and show everyone just how good the Stranglers still are!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cells&Plasma wrote:
kenl wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 15:46 Perhaps Stan would be better sticking to the mk1 forum, Image
Very true but he loves gaslighting here. Who guards the Guards??
Can we start a Stan forum? Some people can't stop talking about him

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 15:55 Agreed they wrote a great song that worked so well for a band like the Stranglers and tbh in the beginning when i first heard the song I thought that naturally it was their song until I found out it wasn't lol....But yes respect to them it's a great song.
I don't think "This Song" is any great shakes as a song, but my opinion is pretty much the same as it's ever been, and that's that after countless years of being told the band had twenty billion ideas, the decision to record and include "This Song" (as well as release it as a "single", for whatever that means in this day and age) displayed an incredible lack of faith in their own material.
Cells&Plasma wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:41 Very true but he loves gaslighting here. Who guards the Guards??
I'm not sure you understand what "gaslighting" actually is.
theraven1979 wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 21:40 Can we start a Stan forum? Some people can't stop talking about him
Indeed. But hey, at least I'm talking about Baz :lol:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 00:19
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 15:55 Agreed they wrote a great song that worked so well for a band like the Stranglers and tbh in the beginning when i first heard the song I thought that naturally it was their song until I found out it wasn't lol....But yes respect to them it's a great song.
I don't think "This Song" is any great shakes as a song, but my opinion is pretty much the same as it's ever been, and that's that after countless years of being told the band had twenty billion ideas, the decision to record and include "This Song" (as well as release it as a "single", for whatever that means in this day and age) displayed an incredible lack of faith in their own material.
Cells&Plasma wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 20:41 Very true but he loves gaslighting here. Who guards the Guards??
I'm not sure you understand what "gaslighting" actually is.
theraven1979 wrote: 07 Aug 2023, 21:40 Can we start a Stan forum? Some people can't stop talking about him
Indeed. But hey, at least I'm talking about Baz :lol:
Well you know what.....I can't disagree with you there lol
Your right and i did think at the time even though "This Song" is a good song when I did find out it wasn't their song I did think to myself straight away why have they or need to do that? if they have so much ideas and material of their own would they need to record someone else's song.
Ok the band in the past even back to the very beginning with the likes of Walk on by have done other people's songs and covers i get that because they made that song their very own in a way better than any other and the original version that i ever heard of it including possibly Hugh's best solo to date,but maybe it's simply that they heard it and thought this is very up our street as a Stranglers song and it is really and generally really liked it and wanted to cover it themselves rather than the lack of their own material for their album surely not?.I wouldn't know the ins and outs of how they came about hearing it in the first place and then deciding to cover it themselves,did they hear then and said we wanted to domit or was they approached with the song? Again i like it and it certainly suits the Stranglers style of things too,so it was a right decision to do it overall I think.
But yes I did think what you have raised and asked too about the need to do someone else's if they had so many ideas,material and songs of their own.
It' a fair question to ask from you I think tbh.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

It was Louie that suggested it to the band. He recorded the original.
It's a great song and the band's version is impressive but when a band can write crackers on their own, it's disappointing in a sense.
Baz wrote Spectre and I think that is one of the most "Stranglers" of songs.
More like that please!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Baz wrote Spectre and I think that is one of the most "Stranglers" of songs.
More like that please!
Oh yes, forgot about Spectre but that is a great song. Absolutely.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Also Baz says so you want to sing with the Fookin Stranglers,we can't forget that amazing contribution, joking of course,the boy has done good.Major Kudu.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 00:19
I agree with Stan here :shock: I can never understand really why bands resort to cover versions, I'm not that much of a fan if I'm honest of Walk On By and don't even get me started on Summer In The City.....
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Summer Dreamer
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Summer Dreamer »

The Last Men On The Moon - thoroughly enjoying recent listens to this track
'Scaffolding pays good bread'
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

evonx wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 10:22 Oh yes, forgot about Spectre but that is a great song. Absolutely.
Stan will be along in a minute to tell us that it isn't. 😂
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Summer Dreamer wrote: 08 Aug 2023, 13:13 The Last Men On The Moon - thoroughly enjoying recent listens to this track
Sir I agree,you know it's a good song when it's inside your head,I was singing it earlier or trying to,Baz can certainly write a good song IMHO,but others obviously disagree and it would be boring if we all agreed,but the question arises,how many times does someone need to say that everything Baz has written since he joined the band is sub standard? Does Baz care? I doubt it,he's to busy actually being in a band called the Stranglers. :smt005 Major Kudu.