new Baz interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: new Baz interview

Post by Greatkudu »

And works hard to keep the band going.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:32 And works hard to keep the band going.Major Kudu.
Is that the only important thing to achieve ? To keep the band going ?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:36
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:32 And works hard to keep the band going.Major Kudu.
Just saying,it keeps alot of people happy,in a world of War and Chaos . Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 09:51
Just saying,it keeps alot of people happy,in a world of War and Chaos . Major Kudu.
I think that says it all for me lol
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

The only bit that jarred with me was where he decided he had to put down modern artists and say that people probably wouldn't be thinking of them in fifty years. He's probably correct, but the two that he named have probably sold more "records" and made more cash in their relatively short careers than a bad with the profile of The Stranglers has done over fifty years. The advantage they'll have is to not have to go out gigging into their middle or old age if they don't want to, they'll be able to sit and enjoy the cash, maybe write a few songs for other people if they can't be bothered recording or performing themselves, and drag a bit more cash in. The comparison is invalid for me, they're not the same kind of artist at all, and probably not trying to be in it for the long haul. Sure, you can talk about artistic integrity and all that sort of stuff, but I doubt Sam Smith or Harry Styles or whoever will be that upset at not being mobbed any more.

I don't like the music that either of those mentioned produce, but millions of people do. I don't like the way that Sam Smith was so dismissive of his Bond theme ("I rattled it off in about five minutes", I think he said) because it's an institution and even if he thought that, he should have kept it to himself. And I do think he comes across as a bit of a prat in public. Don't know anything about the other one, other than he was in a massively popular band that sold millions of songs all around the world and I think has been really quite successful since he left that band / it split up / whatever happened to it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well Sam Smith and Harry I have no Style are the antithesis of everything I hate about music,so I will stop there,I would rather eat my Motorbike Helmet than listen to their abysmal sonic torture.Back on thread a good read.Major Kudu. :smt005
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:24 Well Sam Smith and Harry I have no Style are the antithesis of everything I hate about music
I expect you mean that they're the antithesis of everything you love about music, what with it meaning "the direct opposite". Don't come in here raising the tone of the place with your fancy big words unless you're going to use them correctly. :smile:
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well for me I know Baz is no angel, and that unlike Hugh, the sun doesn't shine out of his arse.

But I prefer to take the positives that he brings.

His guitar playing is flawless, he tries very hard to sing the Hugh songs as best he can and has always slotted into the band with JJ, Dave, and Jet very nicely. He's brought some good songs in too.

There's no doubt that he's given 100% and so what more can he do ?
Yeah ok maybe he's got a few cringey habits but so what nobody's perfect..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

No,your right not just working hard and enthusiasm to make a band work is enough it's not alone yes but it is a big part of keeping a band together happy to get through the tour schedule of travelling and all the things that go with it that must be hard and would get you down behind away from home and loved ones,so his character and humour must all help eachother as a unit that they are all happy and close friends that's the first start of keeping the four of you together,happy in the first place so it will work on stage to give the fans their best and boy you must be able to work together for any magic as a complete unit to work for a full sets worth.
Then again like you say working hard and energy isn't enough you need talent,experience of your craft which he has for sure and as a guitarist myself I think he has and very well too in just my opinion only,if another individual opinion is they think he has or hasn't than that's every fans own right to think he's right for the band or not.
I can only say how I see it as only one fan and to me he has the energy,enthusiasm and musical talent and skills too who post Paul who is a very talented singer no doubt there has taken the band back more in the old bands style of Hugh who has brought JJ back working and sounding once again to something like how he once was standing and playing alongside Hugh which for me is right again for the band.
So Baz like or loathe him has the two frontmen working and the main point sounding again like how they used to again with the return of that loud meaty bass and Baz playing the right stlye and sound again of the tele that both Hugh and he does the Stranglers sounding guitar that John didn't use but I stand to be corrected there as i wasn't a follower of Mk11.
The band with PR and JE in it i belive was going even further away both musically and distinction to what the band was with Hugh in it definitely further away from the band of once was than the current one is now all round.
Many will totally disagree and have a completely different view of what they think it takes to be a Strangler or what is good or bad and that's fair enough we all think differently and when your talking about music that will always be the case with any band that plays and creates music for it's listerners and fans,it's only my view and perception on how well they presently sound and what it takes being a right Strangler for such an old distinctive band with history to it's name,the next person will either agree or think very differently to me lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Jul 2023, 14:07, edited 10 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The only bit that jarred with me was where he decided he had to put down modern artists and say that people probably wouldn't be thinking of them in fifty years.
I was going to say, 'lets come back in 50 years and see how many people remember DM'. Then i realised i wont be any state to remember anything, let alone this silly thing.

I think a lot of what he says is to hide his insecurities. He's made a living in music, which is no easy feat, but it cant be exactly how he would've wanted it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:45
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 12:24 Well Sam Smith and Harry I have no Style are the antithesis of everything I hate about music
I expect you mean that they're the antithesis of everything you love about music, what with it meaning "the direct opposite". Don't come in here raising the tone of the place with your fancy big words unless you're going to use them correctly. :smile:
I wondered who would be the first to be the Grammar Police :smt005 Your Fancy didn't help you at all.And notice my deliberate mistake. :smt005 Major Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:04 Well for me I know Baz is no angel, and that unlike Hugh, the sun doesn't shine out of his arse.

But I prefer to take the positives that he brings.

His guitar playing is flawless, he tries very hard to sing the Hugh songs as best he can and has always slotted into the band with JJ, Dave, and Jet very nicely. He's brought some good songs in too.

There's no doubt that he's given 100% and so what more can he do ?
Yeah ok maybe he's got a few cringey habits but so what nobody's perfect..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
Well said Sir, nothing to add.Major Bunter