new Baz interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: new Baz interview

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:39 I doubt very much that The Stranglers sit alongside those "bands" mentioned though certainly not in terms of success. Even now your average Joe will probably get confused about who The Stranglers are and probably confuse them with Echo and The Bunnymen or something crazy like that. This obscurity will only increase with time. The best you will get is people stumbling across them over punk compilation albums or something.

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 14:31 I remember people saying the same shit about George Michael, Take That, Spice Girls and Westlife, and last time I checked they were all still very much remembered. Perhaps not fondly by some, but remembered nonetheless.
Indeed.

I mean, The Stranglers more success and recognition than most, if not quite the success and recognition that I (and I'm guessing many others here) felt they deserved. If Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield weren't going to become world shaggingly massive, then keeping the gravy train running in an inferior format for decades afterwards wasn't going to do it either.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think some on here are Fake Stranglers fans and obviously love Smith and Styles,shame on you Lads. :smt005 Major Styles Smith Lizzo. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 22:21
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 20:28
Greatkudu wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 20:00

Oh it's the Baz Warne fan club Secretary :smt005 A little harsh,he was making a living out of music before the Stranglers,and he wrote quite a few songs on the NC album which projected the band to a situation where more people wanted to see and hear them again.Major Kudu.
The thing is with me I get more confused by the day with the post Hugh vocalists stuff lol
Both Paul and Baz both sung the same Hugh songs so was it all ok when Paul sung them live or was it not? As it is for Baz in general..... like I say I wouldn't know.
Myself only I find it hard to listen to any vocalist doing Hugh's songs and I don't think one did it ok but the other doesn't ....for me there can only be one Hugh so I do get confused on the post Hugh vocalists.
From my perspective Paul could sing and Baz cant. Pauls voice is quite unique as well to be fair although i cant really say he suited the songs he tried to replicate of The Stranglers. The band should have tried to go there own way on their own merits back then when Paul joined.
Both are no good for me as i have made my points quite clear why i think Baz is not suitable and i have also made it very clear why Paul isn't. The real issue for me is that the lead singer is not Hugh and i doubt any replacement for me would be good enough unless they were to start a new, under a different persona and leave the Stranglers legacy behind them. Hugh's vocals were far to important to the sound with out even taking his writing ability in to account.

Hugh really added so much more to the original Stranglers more than was obvious until he left. I think the mistakes that JJ makes since Hugh has gone hi-lights this.
The Stranglers were unique and very special but one of the most important things of all was Hugh's Voice. The vocals are the most unique instrument that any band can have you cant replicate that. If you buy a Fender Stratocaster you can replicate a sound of the bands guitar but the Hugh vocals you cant get that unique sound anywhere for all the money in the world.

JJ writing ability has been affected for the worse since Hugh isn't about for support or maybe advice. Whereas you can still see Hugh writing is just as good and effective as when he was in the band even though he's writing very different songs now.

I have said this before and i will say it again any Singer / Songwriter worth their salt would never join another band to sing and play someone else's songs unless it was for charity , Tribute , or to help out for a temporary time period. It really is that simple. When you listen to what The Stranglers were to what they are now its quite a ridiculous situation for a band like The Stranglers to become. The continuing of the band to just keep going regardless of the music quality regardless of who is replaced in the band is very sad to observe and something that would never have happened if Hugh was there.
If Baz or Paul had anything that special about them they would have made it on their own merit with out the Stranglers and if they believed in themselves they wouldn't even consider another band like the Stranglers they would have their own path mapped out with their own sound and style in their own band.

I have never been able to understand when you have experienced the original line up and how good they were with Live performances and written songs how a step down to what they have become without Hugh is so acceptable . I understand more for the new fans and why they may Like the current line up as they have nothing to compare but its something i could never just accept.
Intresting read your post I agree with a lot of what you have said and where your coming from.
If you go back to 1990 where Hugh unexpectedly left the day after a London gig what do they do moving forwards? either carry on with the brand name or a completely different type of band with a completely different type of singer in their own right.
So then the many might say ok start a completely different named band and music style which is all good enough but when Hugh left it still left 3 of the 4 original members all still together with what they had all built up over the last 16 years,so apart from the vocalist who had gone who for many still was the main man of the band but they must of thought the three of us are still here in a band they still liked being in together in still with it's massive following still packing out a gig too so what do you do for the best?
I think they tried to do bit of both carry on as the Stranglers but with a completely different type of vocalist and styled guitarist too sounding very different,new and fresh now fronting it's fans and audience as the Stranglers and it's rat lol and that's for me only that didn't work the massive change still dojng the old but that's only my one fans view after all it's their band overall to do what they wished with.
So overnight the Stranglers kind of weren't the Stranglers anymore but was in name still even though you could say 3 of the 4 were still there who were also the heart of their distinctive sound of before so why shouldn't they carry on they might ask?
I think they should of either completely ended the band and started a new one still with Paul doing their own thing away from anything over the previous 16 years as they were to distinctive alone in what they did and should of been left as that in my opinion only,but there's always a but if they had gone under a new name how big would their gig audiences of been and their pockets not as the Stranglers with a living to think of too as the brand name sells tickets,puts bums on seats and earns them still a good living.
It's always easy to look back and say they should of done this or that and eventually they did find their way and right stlye once again as the Stanglers but with their own stamp on the songs which all started with NC for me only that got me back into them again which I felt was so right for Paul himself with that albums songs,the sound and everything away from anything successfully previous to do with Hugh's distinction it's just a shame it wasn't to last after finally getting there with something really good together that worked.
So the choice of a new band away from the Stranglers in '90 would of been easier for the die hard Hugh fans who probably would of liked and followed them stilll anyway but not with the pain of hearing the old Hugh songs which is a tough one on the ear for me anyway.
They did a bit of both stayed with the name but was so different to when Hugh was there and singing his ex songs so that is a tough way they went really,but credit to them they carried on with what they believed in and next year they reach their 50th and for me only I would never of thought that would ever of happend especially in '90 when I thought well that's it then the end of my greatest ever band so credit to them all like or loathe what they have done or doing it's an incredible achievement overall for the entity.
As for song writing I think both Hugh and JJ can both still write a bloody good song but for me only Hugh is still in a league of his own who hasn't produced one bad solo album yet to date in just my opinion where as the Stranglers hasn't been as consistent.
At the end of the day for me I still like both which is good.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 17:45
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2023, 20:28

The thing is with me I get more confused by the day with the post Hugh vocalists stuff lol
Both Paul and Baz both sung the same Hugh songs so was it all ok when Paul sung them live or was it not? As it is for Baz in general..... like I say I wouldn't know.
Myself only I find it hard to listen to any vocalist doing Hugh's songs and I don't think one did it ok but the other doesn't ....for me there can only be one Hugh so I do get confused on the post Hugh vocalists.
From my perspective Paul could sing and Baz cant. Pauls voice is quite unique as well to be fair although i cant really say he suited the songs he tried to replicate of The Stranglers. The band should have tried to go there own way on their own merits back then when Paul joined.
Both are no good for me as i have made my points quite clear why i think Baz is not suitable and i have also made it very clear why Paul isn't. The real issue for me is that the lead singer is not Hugh and i doubt any replacement for me would be good enough unless they were to start a new, under a different persona and leave the Stranglers legacy behind them. Hugh's vocals were far to important to the sound with out even taking his writing ability in to account.

Hugh really added so much more to the original Stranglers more than was obvious until he left. I think the mistakes that JJ makes since Hugh has gone hi-lights this.
The Stranglers were unique and very special but one of the most important things of all was Hugh's Voice. The vocals are the most unique instrument that any band can have you cant replicate that. If you buy a Fender Stratocaster you can replicate a sound of the bands guitar but the Hugh vocals you cant get that unique sound anywhere for all the money in the world.

JJ writing ability has been affected for the worse since Hugh isn't about for support or maybe advice. Whereas you can still see Hugh writing is just as good and effective as when he was in the band even though he's writing very different songs now.

I have said this before and i will say it again any Singer / Songwriter worth their salt would never join another band to sing and play someone else's songs unless it was for charity , Tribute , or to help out for a temporary time period. It really is that simple. When you listen to what The Stranglers were to what they are now its quite a ridiculous situation for a band like The Stranglers to become. The continuing of the band to just keep going regardless of the music quality regardless of who is replaced in the band is very sad to observe and something that would never have happened if Hugh was there.
If Baz or Paul had anything that special about them they would have made it on their own merit with out the Stranglers and if they believed in themselves they wouldn't even consider another band like the Stranglers they would have their own path mapped out with their own sound and style in their own band.

I have never been able to understand when you have experienced the original line up and how good they were with Live performances and written songs how a step down to what they have become without Hugh is so acceptable . I understand more for the new fans and why they may Like the current line up as they have nothing to compare but its something i could never just accept.
Intresting read your post I agree with a lot of what you have said and where your coming from.
If you go back to 1990 where Hugh unexpectedly left the day after a London gig what do they do moving forwards? either carry on with the brand name or a completely different type of band with a completely different type of singer in their own right.
So then the many might say ok start a completely different named band and music style which is all good enough but when Hugh left it still left 3 of the 4 original members all still together with what they had all built up over the last 16 years,so apart from the vocalist who had gone who for many still was the main man of the band but they must of thought the three of us are still here in a band they still liked being in together in still with it's massive following still packing out a gig too so what do you do for the best?
I think they tried to do bit of both carry on as the Stranglers but with a completely different type of vocalist and styled guitarist too sounding very different,new and fresh now fronting it's fans and audience as the Stranglers and it's rat lol and that's for me only that didn't work the massive change still dojng the old but that's only my one fans view after all it's their band overall to do what they wished with.
So overnight the Stranglers kind of weren't the Stranglers anymore but was in name still even though you could say 3 of the 4 were still there who were also the heart of their distinctive sound of before so why shouldn't they carry on they might ask?
I think they should of either completely ended the band and started a new one still with Paul doing their own thing away from anything over the previous 16 years as they were to distinctive alone in what they did and should of been left as that in my opinion only,but there's always a but if they had gone under a new name how big would their gig audiences of been and their pockets not as the Stranglers with a living to think of too as the brand name sells tickets,puts bums on seats and earns them still a good living.
It's always easy to look back and say they should of done this or that and eventually they did find their way and right stlye once again as the Stanglers but with their own stamp on the songs which all started with NC for me only that got me back into them again which I felt was so right for Paul himself with that albums songs,the sound and everything away from anything successfully previous to do with Hugh's distinction it's just a shame it wasn't to last after finally getting there with something really good together that worked.
So the choice of a new band away from the Stranglers in '90 would of been easier for the die hard Hugh fans who probably would of liked and followed them stilll anyway but not with the pain of hearing the old Hugh songs which is a tough one on the ear for me anyway.
They did a bit of both stayed with the name but was so different to when Hugh was there and singing his ex songs so that is a tough way they went really,but credit to them they carried on with what they believed in and next year they reach their 50th and for me only I would never of thought that would ever of happend especially in '90 when I thought well that's it then the end of my greatest ever band so credit to them all like or loathe what they have done or doing it's an incredible achievement overall for the entity.
As for song writing I think both Hugh and JJ can both still write a bloody good song but for me only Hugh is still in a league of his own who hasn't produced one bad solo album yet to date in just my opinion where as the Stranglers hasn't been as consistent.
I honestly never thought they would carry on without Hugh in my mind it was never an option. It is what it is and i have witnessed it get worse and worse over the years and for me personally i see it as vandalism with what they are doing to the great legacy of those songs that was but as the saying goes nothing is sacred.

I am a lot more cynical about the bands agenda with all the contradictions of saying one thing and then there actions do something else.
Its really 50 years of JJ being under the brand name of the Stranglers rather than the Stranglers celebrating there 50 years together but even so not many bands reach that and i am sure they will put the best show on that they can next year. and a good time will be had by all

I have to say though i really admire your optimism and trust in the band that's a really good quality to have and i think the band are very lucky to have fans like yourself

The one thing the band have done for me is allow Hugh to write so many songs and albums for so long under his solo name which has to be the best thing of all.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 20:15

I honestly never thought they would carry on without Hugh in my mind it was never an option. It is what it is and i have witnessed it get worse and worse over the years and for me personally i see it as vandalism with what they are doing to the great legacy of those songs that was but as the saying goes nothing is sacred.

I am a lot more cynical about the bands agenda with all the contradictions of saying one thing and then there actions do something else.
Its really 50 years of JJ being under the brand name of the Stranglers rather than the Stranglers celebrating there 50 years together but even so not many bands reach that and i am sure they will put the best show on that they can next year. and a good time will be had by all

I have to say though i really admire your optimism and trust in the band that's a really good quality to have and i think the band are very lucky to have fans like yourself

The one thing the band have done for me is allow Hugh to write so many songs and albums for so long under his solo name which has to be the best thing of all.
That's exactly what over time I have told myself had he stayed I would never of got to hear such gems like Guilty,BEf and also the ever long solo list of his where also I wouldn't of heard of Long Dead Train which I happen to really like because he wouldn't of got off the train in the first place lol
I wouldn't of got to hear that very different side of his writing that he wouldn't of even gone there with had he stayed within the new wave band with others where your limited to do your own thing that they might not like,it's a group decision what they do than on your own where you can do just what you want to do ...which his solo career has truly shown to be the case and the right decision to have taken in my view only where I feel he had taken them as far as he could on the whole,without coming repeatative and less intresting as a band in a down slide so I think he left at the right time when they were still successful and on top,he knew that at that point in time it was time to jump ship before it was to late.
I think he was right to leave but that toke me years to understand that as I just couldn't understand why he did at the time,but decades in after hearing all his solo material for 30 odd years now i'm glad he did than stayimg as the ever lasting frontman of the Stranglees like JJ has done.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 20:14
ThinkTank wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 20:15

That's exactly what over time I have told myself had he stayed I would never of got to hear such gems like Guilty,BEf and also the ever long solo list of his where also I wouldn't of heard of Long Dead Train which I happen to really like because he wouldn't of got off the train in the first place lol
I wouldn't of got to hear that very different side of his writing that he wouldn't of even gone there with had he stayed within the new wave band with others where your limited to do your own thing that they might not like,it's a group decision what they do than on your own where you can do just what you want to do ...which his solo career has truly shown to be the case and the right decision to have taken in my view only where I feel he had taken them as far as he could on the whole,without coming repeatative and less intresting as a band in a down slide so I think he left at the right time when they were still successful and on top,he knew that at that point in time it was time to jump ship before it was to late.
I think he was right to leave but that toke me years to understand that as I just couldn't understand why he did at the time,but decades in after hearing all his solo material for 30 odd years now i'm glad he did than stayimg as the ever lasting frontman of the Stranglees like JJ has done.
I still hear some songs that sound very like the old Hugh Stranglers stuff in his solo work minus keyboards of course and often think i bet that song might have turned up in later years if he was still in the band. Obviously majority are very far and remote from his time in the band like touch touch which i also like a lot.
When Hugh left i wasn't at all ready for his solo stuff i listened and tried to give Hugh a chance but just wrote him off and really didnt listen at all after that for so many years. I made a slow start listen to his work and started appreciating his work at around Hooverdam when he gave that away free as a download. Then i bought in the dock and slowly over the years collected and got hooked and now i don't think i could make a call at what Album is the best. I really get something different from each and every album.

I only tried to see Hugh live not so long ago i travelled to Norwich to see him. Booked a hotel, drove there with an over 2 and half hours journey got to the hotel and then got an email from his admin person telling me Hugh had cancelled i was well pissed off lol. He only emailed me because he knew i was staying in a hotel and long journey and he wanted to catch me before i left but i was already there. First time to see him solo and that happens i was a bit off with it all but it was worth waiting for to see him later at later dates . Not many opportunities left now i would think so i am going to book a few more dates in next year.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
One answer is that his music isn't just that remarkable in the world of music.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Lafleur wrote:Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
Well that's one answer . File along side the stranglers are shite

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Lafleur wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 22:52 Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
Well as usual it's each to their own on artists & music they like & dislike and for me only he's so dam talented whose songwriting is quite incredible let alone with all the different styles he's used and experimented with over the 50 years is simply quite unbelievable how he can keep producing such high quality material and I'm a writer/guitarist too in my own and different way so probably can understand how hard it is to keep finding something that works and is fresh,different with the main point of it being work that people will enjoy,understand and appreciate.
For me some of his most underated solo work has to be on BEF where his lyrics in a lot of those albums songs are on another level that he wasn't writing like with his time with MK1 for me only for sure,others may disagree with that.
For me he had a great experinace as a songwriter/ guitarist for 16 incredible years with the same three other guys....great,but it's his time as a musician post '90 year by year for me like a maturing wine tha simply gets better with age he does just that album by album that gets better and better with age,experinace and musical variation where his last creative work with MOM was in my opinion only simply.......on another level and on aanother planet....
A lot of the genral public may not of heard a lot of his music like we all have orhis music stlye and vocals aren't to their likening,,we've grown up,with him he's an older artist so many today may not of heard of him or like his music iwouldn't know or care really for i Iike his music and that's all that counts which is how it should be for each music listener out there what they like listening to and that is what music is about enjoyment and happiness ....music makes us feel good.
l wouldn't know or understand why others like or dislike his music because overall it's each person's perogative with tastes,and that is how music should be a personal liking or disliking.
For me it's Hugh high standard of varied creative music, stlyes, melodys and lyrics to his songs that somehow all just fit and work togehter so well again and again over 50 years that I find remarkable really.....Hats off to Hugh with quality and variation.
Back on track about baz.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Lafleur wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 22:52 Why the hell no one recognise what a hell of song writer and musician Hugh Cornwell is? Are his solo albums really so great that the whole world is just too stupid to recognise their quality? What's going wrong with mankind, with the music business, with Joe Public....
Another answer is that it's hard for people to hear music if they don't know it exists.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:02
Another answer is that it's hard for people to hear music if they don't know it exists.
Or it could be that most people couldn't give a Monkeys about Hugh's music? Just playing Devil's Advocate,his fan base is mostly Stranglers fans or ex fans of the original Stranglers.Major Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sorry fans of the original lineup.