Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters has it stood the test of time?

Post by evonx »

Back on topic - listened to the album over the weekend and really enjoyed most of it. Yes, there is some filler (Payday, the cringe of Lines) but most of it is really good imho (Water, This Song, White Stallion, Breathe) so I'd say 7/10 and far better now than Suite or Giants.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

but did you ever see the mk1V band with Jet and Dave both still in it, or later once Jet retired with Dave still there, along with JJ of course?
I realize the question is not directed at me but I did and although I am not without criticism I still enjoy JJ and Friends live. From mk IV one of my personal highlights in a live situation was them doing Tank with both Jet and Jim on the drums. Massive power.
--eric--
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I played DMs over the weekend and really enjoyed it to,it's a really good album IMHO,I was actually inspired to listen to it after the JJ book signing and talk recently,so yes I have changed my mind and I have the right to change my mind,as we live in a free country unless you say something the Government doesn't like, Freedom is Insane :smt005 Lieutenant General Kudu promoted by myself again. :smt012
Last edited by Greatkudu on 24 Oct 2023, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Moved the Strolling Bones chatter to here https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... hp?t=24457

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

The post Hugh Stranglers have already peaked with Norfolk Coast and S16.Dark Matters and certainly not Giants hasn't bettered those two records,in my opinion.Of course the next one may well do so but I doubt it somehow.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 17:13 The post Hugh Stranglers have already peaked with Norfolk Coast and S16.Dark Matters and certainly not Giants hasn't bettered those two records,in my opinion.Of course the next one may well do so but I doubt it somehow.
Yes I would have to agree with what you have said I too think NC is their finest work post Hugh for sure and the great Suite album too but I do think they have bettered themselves again after Giants but yes their best two has to be NC & Suite post Hugh for sure in my opinion too.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I don't really rank Norfolk Coast above Suite, Giants and Dark Matters. I think they are all pretty solid albums. Suite XVI is probably my favourite though.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 19:51 I don't really rank Norfolk Coast above Suite, Giants and Dark Matters. I think they are all pretty solid albums. Suite XVI is probably my favourite though.
Sir I think Giants is very underated,I think it's a really good album,but others disagree.Major Kudu.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Interesting to read the different views here - Suite is in my view not very good, only 3/4 good tracks and loads of filler. Giants is interesting but also has it's flaws. Dark Matters starts great, the middle is a bit boring, the end is great again. Of all the Baz - era cd's Norfolk Coast is the only one that can match the classic period of the band (77-83).
--eric--
and there i came
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

evonx wrote:Interesting to read the different views here - Suite is in my view not very good, only 3/4 good tracks and loads of filler. Giants is interesting but also has it's flaws. Dark Matters starts great, the middle is a bit boring, the end is great again. Of all the Baz - era cd's Norfolk Coast is the only one that can match the classic period of the band (77-83).
I'd agree with that. Pretty much how I feel. NC is a strong album and shadows pretty much everything else you mentioned. I remember hearing NC before the album came out and being genuinely excited to hear the whole album.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 22:04 Interesting to read the different views here - Suite is in my view not very good, only 3/4 good tracks and loads of filler. Giants is interesting but also has it's flaws. Dark Matters starts great, the middle is a bit boring, the end is great again. Of all the Baz - era cd's Norfolk Coast is the only one that can match the classic period of the band (77-83).
Sir yes we all have different views of course but NC was the Stranglers back doing great music again and all the albums after have been pretty solid,but I think strangely I have a soft spot for Giants.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

The best halves of NC and S16 would've made a great album.