Youtube

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Youtube

Post by giants »

Some good stuff being put on youtube recentley.
Lyon audio gig feline tour 1983.
Start with Sewer' then toiler also Raven in as well, plus good selection off Feline.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Youtube

Post by toilerinblack »

giants wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 11:50 Some good stuff being put on youtube recentley.
Lyon audio gig feline tour 1983.
Start with Sewer' then toiler also Raven in as well, plus good selection off Feline.
Yes there are alot of Mk1 eighties full audio gigs on there from all over the place all good to hear, some better quality than others but when you hear some of these gigs and especially the more earlier '80s ones you are so reminded again of just how fast paced they played many of the songs at,i was listening to a youtube gig to a Hanging Around where Hugh was strumming the verses three chord sequence of Amin/Cmaj/GMaj so fast I'm surprised his wrist kept up with it lol
A lot of those early gigs were played with so much high energy and enthusiasm that's how good they once were.......something very special from back in the day.
But to be fair the band today still amazingly play with all the enthusiasm and pace too and JJ just amazes how he still does it all.
So yes i think this topic would be good place to list any good youtube gigs that people come across for others to listen too if they haven't already.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The Stranglers 1987-At the Hammersmith Odeon March 29th ....Duration 1.26.10
The Stranglers 1978-At the Glasgow Apollo May 28th...Duration 1.22.39
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:14 The Stranglers 1987-At the Hammersmith Odeon March 29th ....Duration 1.26.10
Links would make it far easier to find these things.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:14 The Stranglers 1987-At the Hammersmith Odeon March 29th ....Duration 1.26.10
Yes some great gigs that have been put on YouTube, including a Lyon gig from 1983,which has a very odd interlude, something to do with Bananas,now how the fuck did the band get away with doing that? Apart from that the gig is amazing with one of the best live versions of Sewer I have heard.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

There's one recorded in America and Hugh says: "it's time for a quick commercial break,we'll be back to the Stranglers in one minute" 😂.I found it funny,anyway.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 15:39
Yes some great gigs that have been put on YouTube, including a Lyon gig from 1983,which has a very odd interlude, something to do with Bananas,now how the fuck did the band get away with doing that? Apart from that the gig is amazing with one of the best live versions of Sewer I have heard.Major Kudu.
Yeah It is an amazing Sewer agreed...I thought the Chicago Sewer was a bloody amazing version with Hugh shouting.....Hey Chicago do you know why? I can't remember what year that was now though tbh but an amazing version never the less.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 21 Jun 2023, 15:36, edited 3 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 07:17 There's one recorded in America and Hugh says: "it's time for a quick commercial break,we'll be back to the Stranglers in one minute" 😂.I found it funny,anyway.
Yeah he's always been the king of banter.
Another Mk1 gig in France on youtube...
The Stranglers 1980 Live-La Courneuve Paris June 15th....Duration 1:07:09
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 15:32
Ruby wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 07:17 There's one recorded in America and Hugh says: "it's time for a quick commercial break,we'll be back to the Stranglers in one minute" 😂.I found it funny,anyway.
He's a natural,doesn't even try.It's effortless.I miss that stage prescence of his.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Ruby wrote: 21 Jun 2023, 17:22
He's a natural,doesn't even try.It's effortless.I miss that stage prescence of his.
Yes to all you say and I too miss the natural banter of the Mk1 gigs that Hugh once brought to the stage again and again your right,Baz does do well and tries hard with the crowd interaction for sure but it's obviously not the same as once was and the banter was another part away from their music that made Mk1 the irreplaceable band they once were over their first 16 years of their career with their individual characteristics and personalities they all had that made them the fab four we all remember so well.... and it was Hugh who was the one who had it in abundance like you have rightly already said that it was his sheer natural stage prescence that's missed today on looking back on it all apart from his vocals and guitaring and lyrics.....lol blimey he had the full package that can't be brought back but we have the great live memories of it all though.
Obviously today's band is a different one and they do very well in their own right and way still and as a unit they still sound a great and tight one together for sure but my fondest memories will always be from Mk1.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Another Mk1 gig in France on youtube...
The Stranglers 1980 Live-La Courneuve Paris June 15th....Duration 1:07:09
Starts with a great audio version of Shah,Tolier,Duchess,Hanging Around, good version of Men in Black too....
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I really miss Hugh in the Stranglers too but now i have seen him solo live a couple of times i am really appreciating what he is doing even more so. What he is doing currently is a lot closer to where i am for music these days for live stuff and i am just amazed at what Hugh does with the arrangements he is with out doubt a massive talent and genius that he makes it look effortless. He's work is very addictive to listen to so i feel i am very happy now how its all turned out and i will really look forward to Brighton i really cant wait.

I do miss he's very clever put downs to the audience and mockery he was the master for sure all in good fun as well. My favourite would be how he always would openly say if one audience was better than another :) Or of course try and hi-light the divide in the current audience of there opinions .

Its a shame Hugh doesnt still do that at the gigs but i guess its a different make up now so not appropriate so we will have to just listen to An evening with instead and reminisce :)

Thanks for the posts it did make me smile and remind me of really good times of my own.