Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Kirk Brandon get well soon.

Post by gizzard »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:41
jetblacksdad wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 17:22What I have a problem with is people still dropping the "gay" thing in order to provoke a reaction.
You're making the assumption that I was attempting to provoke a reaction, which absolutely wasn't the case since it's 2023 and such a thing really shouldn't be an issue. That some still do take issue with the thought of someone being gay is worrying, quite frankly.
If you hadn't mentioned 'gay man' this could have been a sensible thread wishing one of the finest song writers and vocalist of the last 40+ years a speedy recovery.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

gizzard wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:51
jetblacksdad wrote: 17 Jun 2023, 17:22What I have a problem with is people still dropping the "gay" thing in order to provoke a reaction.
You're making the assumption that I was attempting to provoke a reaction, which absolutely wasn't the case since it's 2023 and such a thing really shouldn't be an issue. That some still do take issue with the thought of someone being gay is worrying, quite frankly.
If you hadn't mentioned 'gay man' this could have been a sensible thread wishing one of the finest song writers and vocalist of the last 40+ years a speedy recovery.
Well, I suppose you've partly got yourself to thank for turning a thread about Kirk Brandon into potentially a thread about homophobia, then. So, to snatch the thread back from the jaws of needless outrage, get well soon Kirk.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:56

Well, I suppose you've partly got yourself to thank for turning a thread about Kirk Brandon into potentially a thread about homophobia, then. So, to snatch the thread back from the jaws of needless outrage, get well soon Kirk.
As I said if you hadn't mentioned it in the first place.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

gizzard wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 20:59

As I said if you hadn't mentioned it in the first place.
I see, so you find the thought of a gay man being gay provocative. That's on you, unfortunately. Once more, get well soon Kirk.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Let's look again at what was said:
Oh no, whenever I hear about a gay man being rushed into hospital and being on the verge of death I always fear the worst :( Glad to hear he's on the mend.
Now let's look at it again without the word "gay":
Oh no, whenever I hear about a man being rushed into hospital and being on the verge of death I always fear the worst :( Glad to hear he's on the mend.
Which one looks more like something a real person might actually say?

I leave the reader to make their own judgement.

One final question from me -
Does anybody ever hear about anybody being rushed into hospital and being on the verge of death and not fear the worst?

Again, no judgement, just saying.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Hope Kirk feels better soon, I really enjoy a lot of that early Theatre of Hate stuff with his unique voice, particularly "Original Sin".
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 22:40Now let's look at it again without the word "gay"
All you're doing there is removing the context.
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 22:40Does anybody ever hear about anybody being rushed into hospital and being on the verge of death and not fear the worst?
Depends on who it is. In this case, we're talking about Kirk Brandon - for context, a gay man with a history of health problems - so yes, being rushed into hospital and being on the verge of death would be worrying.

There's nothing remotely controversial going on here, other than some outdated attitudes.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 22:43 Hope Kirk feels better soon, I really enjoy a lot of that early Theatre of Hate stuff with his unique voice, particularly "Original Sin".
I can't help but feel that they (both Theatre of Hate and Spear of Destiny) would have been more revered if they'd laid off the saxophones a bit.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 23:25
parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Jun 2023, 22:43 Hope Kirk feels better soon, I really enjoy a lot of that early Theatre of Hate stuff with his unique voice, particularly "Original Sin".
I can't help but feel that they (both Theatre of Hate and Spear of Destiny) would have been more revered if they'd laid off the saxophones a bit.
Maybe, but the records wouldn't have been as good, and that's what counts for me.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Sir off thread,yes Kirk's voice is certainly unique,it's dropped an octave over the years,but saw Spear In May and his voice was still fantastic,I've never seen a performer who puts so much in to every song.Major Kudu.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

Yes, get well soon Kirk.

On a completely unrelated matter, you are not a daft man Stan, so as Jim rightly called it, you must just be one of those wee troll fellas (despite being a moderator?). It looks like the problem that the rest of the forum has with your posts is that the musician Kirk Brandon, like most of us, is not defined by his sexuality, so it is why you keep having to mention it that is winding the rest of us up. Well done you, now give it a rest- you've lost this one.
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Do we have to bring this back up? I think we're all in agreement in wishing Kirk the very best for a speedy recovery. Closing...

Jim
Waffle waitress wrote: 20 Jun 2023, 09:11

Yes, get well soon Kirk.

On a completely unrelated matter, you are not a daft man Stan, so as Jim rightly called it, you must just be one of those wee troll fellas (despite being a moderator?). It looks like the problem that the rest of the forum has with your posts is that the musician Kirk Brandon, like most of us, is not defined by his sexuality, so it is why you keep having to mention it that is winding the rest of us up. Well done you, now give it a rest- you've lost this one.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"