So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

jetblacksdad wrote: 17 May 2023, 14:26 I tell you what is boring, hearing the same old tripe ad nauseam. :wink:
The “JJ & Friends” nonsense/wind up is well past its sell by date, but it’ll continue I’m sure.
It’s just Non Stop. Some might say it’s Non Stop Stan.
:grin:
Shush this is serious
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
jetblacksdad wrote: 17 May 2023, 14:26 I tell you what is boring, hearing the same old tripe ad nauseam. :wink:
The “JJ & Friends” nonsense/wind up is well past its sell by date, but it’ll continue I’m sure.
It’s just Non Stop. Some might say it’s Non Stop Stan.
:grin:
Dedicated
Emancipated
Says he Waited
A life for Hugh Cornwell

Loves to Say
Every Day
About JJ Burnel,
And his Friends

He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan

And he don't like The Stranglers
And he says they're just Ramblers
Cause he's got the best Guitarist
Better than any other Artist
Better than any other Artist

He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan

Dedicated
Emancipated
Very Boring
And rather Annoying

Loves Hugh Cornwell
Who does everything Well
Much better than,
Burnel and Friends

He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan
He's a Non Stop Stan

And he says they're a Tribute
And it's all just a Refute
Cause he's got the best Singer
Much better than that Minger
Much better than that Minger

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I'm touched that you felt the need to take time out of your busy schedule to do that, but I don't think you're quite a toilerinblack level wordsmith yet. You'll improve though, I'm sure, especially once you shed your key influences and craft your own voice :lol:
Josh wrote: 17 May 2023, 14:00 The current incarnation, JJ & Friends if you will, are a nostalgia act, no doubt about that. But continuing has done very little to harm their legacy from what I can see. This forum seems to be a hotbed of negativity, but even then it's only from a few posters. The majority of fans seem to still be enjoying them and long may that continue.
From what I can gather, the majority actually find this current "Stranglers" iteration weird and awkward, but the majority of THAT majority can't be bothered to be vocal about it, they just vote with their wallets or their feet. I'm part of the minority of THAT majority that is vocal about it, and that's because I care about this band's legacy and reputation.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Let em have their fun you spoilsport! :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 May 2023, 17:18 Let em have their fun you spoilsport! :lol:

Jim
:lol: :lol:

So, who is going where on the 2024 "Just Kidding it Wasn't Actually the Final Tour" tour? :grin:
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

aldinblack wrote: 17 May 2023, 16:23 aldinblack's lyrics
Great work!
This is the kind of lyrical content I am *here for* as the young people say.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 17 May 2023, 18:06
aldinblack wrote: 17 May 2023, 16:23 aldinblack's lyrics
Great work!
This is the kind of lyrical content I am *here for* as the young people say.
Albeit highly derivative of Hugh Cornwell. I'll stick with the actual Hugh Cornwell's work :smile:
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

The current band is for the youngsters, grandads can settle for a Tshirt.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I finally remembered I can buy early with O2, and get in the venue a couple of minutes earlier, so I bought for Manchester yesterday.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Josh wrote: 17 May 2023, 14:00
ThinkTank wrote: 17 May 2023, 11:51 But that's exactly how i see it and i don't even recognise the nature of a strangler fan anymore well they are nothing like the fans i grew up with and had late drunken chats about the band and the gigs that we used to attend. The easy acceptance of just anyone in the band and the logo comment i cant agree more with what you are saying and that whole aspect has me totally baffled.
It's a shame you feel that way. I was too young to see the band in any form until about 15 years ago, so have only ever seen them with Baz fronting them (which definitely skews my perspective). For me, he is the weakest of the frontmen, but every gig I've attended has still been enjoyable.

I had misgivings when Dave died, but I thought Dark Matters was a vast improvement on Suite & Giants and was pleasantly surprised with Toby when I was at the Glasgow gig last year.

The current incarnation, JJ & Friends if you will, are a nostalgia act, no doubt about that. But continuing has done very little to harm their legacy from what I can see. This forum seems to be a hotbed of negativity, but even then it's only from a few posters. The majority of fans seem to still be enjoying them and long may that continue.

After all, it would be boring if we all thought the same.
Its not too much of a shame really as i think it makes it more interesting that peoples opinions are so diverse even if i do find the opinions baffling. The diversity of opinion should be expected as well really as a lot has changed since i was into the band and attending gigs so its only to be expected.

I don't see it as negativity i see it as being realistic view of the band. The trouble is its the watering down of the music over the last 50 years the first 16 years with the first 10 albums was an amazing representation of what the band were about and how they sound. They really were a masterpiece of music. But now when you add everything else and new members and new singers and anything else that's needed to just keep the band going on relentlessly especially when i cant see anything that they have done of any worth it very disappointing. They may be called the Stranglers but they sound nothing like how the stranglers sound or at the same writing standard. It feels now like a mish mash of members music and songs. For me i don't see or value them after Hugh as the stranglers but as yet i haven't called them JJ and friends as i really don't know what to call them other than a mark 5 at the moment. The right thing to have done was to start again with a new band or make songs that were better or at least equal to what they were doing when Hugh was in the band but that has never happened for far too long now. JJ really has just relied on all the Hugh period of songs to keep them afloat and that's a very easy and uninspiring way to continue as a band and one that JJ would have always criticized other bands for doing if Hugh and the band were fully intact..

We have something in common as i too feel i was too young, i saw the band live from the Feline tour and i was 16 and always wished i was there much earlier but never had the opportunity.

You are right everyone is different so good luck . As an interesting thought what song or period of songs got you in to the band in the first place ? No right answer for me i was just interested in what songs made you into a fan.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

ThinkTank wrote: 18 May 2023, 11:24 You are right everyone is different so good luck . As an interesting thought what song or period of songs got you in to the band in the first place ? No right answer for me i was just interested in what songs made you into a fan.
The 77-82 period initially. My dad is also a big fan, who was there more or less from the start. Funnily enough I remember the Collection VHS very well, played that to death when I was young.

I fell away completely as I was in my early teens, then Norfolk Coast brought me back in. I always had a soft spot for Paul and was sorry that he left so soon afterwards.

I started going to see them live in 2011, towards the tail-end of Jet's time with the band. I've seen Hugh live and have thoroughly enjoyed that experience as well.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Josh wrote: 18 May 2023, 13:11
ThinkTank wrote: 18 May 2023, 11:24 You are right everyone is different so good luck . As an interesting thought what song or period of songs got you in to the band in the first place ? No right answer for me i was just interested in what songs made you into a fan.
The 77-82 period initially. My dad is also a big fan, who was there more or less from the start. Funnily enough I remember the Collection VHS very well, played that to death when I was young.

I fell away completely as I was in my early teens, then Norfolk Coast brought me back in. I always had a soft spot for Paul and was sorry that he left so soon afterwards.

I started going to see them live in 2011, towards the tail-end of Jet's time with the band. I've seen Hugh live and have thoroughly enjoyed that experience as well.
I think Paul was quite talented really and deserved better but the replacement of Hugh Cornwell is, and always will be, the poisoned chalice. I saw Paul live actually at the beginning on the, In The Night tour but i think it was before the album came out, they played at Brixton but i really couldn't get on with his stage antics it was like an Iggy Pop wannabe trying to be like a Shakin Stevens with his bouncing knee flicking hair and clicking fingers. So as talented as he was he didn't suit a band like the stranglers imo. I always thought why didn't JJ say to him wtf are you doing acting like that on stage. When i mentioned the Stranglers starting as a new band it was Paul i was thinking of as the singer. He was very talented singer and deserved success in his own right without the Stranglers umbrella. I think he was better in the later years but in those early days he was all over the place with so much energy trying far to hard to impress and make the band seem too exciting i think with his weird behaviour that didn't work. It wasn't that long after i saw him again by chance in the stranglers supporting at a festival and at the time from what i remember no one was really listening to the band including me.

What does your dad think of the current line up with out Hugh ? Most of those that were in to Hugh stopped following when Hugh left i think. I nearly took my daughter to see Hugh in Birmingham but i really didn't want her to get bored and spoil the gig for me so i changed my mind. She didn't ask to go she just once said to me recently "why does everyone talk so much about Golden Brown when they have done so much more better songs" So she nearly paid the price for that comment by me getting a Hugh Cornwell ticket for her lol.

Yeah i think Hugh is absolutely brilliant his live performance really has been a treat to see. The Birmingham one was very special for me it will stay as a good memory for good now it really was so much better than the Southend one i saw last year and that was so good as well.

I honestly mean this you have missed out a lot by not seeing Hugh when he was in the band he really was the most important part of their sound and the song writing. But as you say if the current line up works for you then its all good and doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the reply that's probably my favourite period of the band too but im sure you are the same it can also change depending on my mood.