So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Leave messages for other fans here

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: So!..who is going where on the 2024 mini tour?

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:15
ThinkTank wrote: Hugh wont have anything to do with that , he never says anything and wishes them well but i am sure he can also see how ridiculous its all become. I think Hugh will be sitting pleasantly happy that they are doing a tour as it means he will be getting more cheques in the post and sees the funny side that hes quite possibly receives more money than each of the 3 other members for those tours. The 3 other members are just relieved and grateful that they get to play in a successful band even if its not their own music because i doubt they could amount to anything on their own merits. The only lucrative winner in that band is JJ and he knows it.

The alternative is to be honest to themselves and present themselves in the correct way but they know if they did that those tours would not sell out.
Hugh won't have anything to do with it I'm sure you're right about that.

But I don't believe Hugh is that shallow person who's sitting there rubbing his hands together thinking yeah great more money for me !

The real reason is that he and JJ just don't have that relationship. It's been so long and so much has happened and how awkward would it be now anyway?
And as for the others, well they are some of the things that have happened, but they deserve due credit.

I don't believe Hugh has ever fully accepted a "Stranglers" without him, and I think that's fair enough, actually in that situation I would probably feel the same as Hugh did, at least for a while..

although in recent years he has softened his stance somewhat, which gives hope that they can at least reconcile in some way.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
There is nothing shallow about receiving payment for his genius work and something he has worked very hard for and that's how the industry works and rightly so. i can tell you now Hugh deserves every penny. The word shallow could be used more appropriately for other members of that night in my opinion.
I think Hugh has a great sense of humour he will definitely smile at the prospect of more payments coming his way and nothing wrong with that at all hes proved his worth ten fold. So much so he will have no need to rub his hands together he will be too busy planning hes 2024 tour where his audience will respect his song writing abilities and where he will be appreciated for all the right reasons and no need to hide behind a brand name.
I never said that Hugh receiving payment is shallow.

I never said Hugh doesn't deserve payment.

I actually said Hugh is not shallow.

You and some others always talk about how ecstatically happy Hugh must be when the band tours, because he gets paid.

I'm sure the money is useful to him, but again I doubt he's sitting there with a massive grin on his face because of it.

I Hate You !
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 22:42
ThinkTank wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:15 Hugh won't have anything to do with it I'm sure you're right about that.

But I don't believe Hugh is that shallow person who's sitting there rubbing his hands together thinking yeah great more money for me !

The real reason is that he and JJ just don't have that relationship. It's been so long and so much has happened and how awkward would it be now anyway?
And as for the others, well they are some of the things that have happened, but they deserve due credit.

I don't believe Hugh has ever fully accepted a "Stranglers" without him, and I think that's fair enough, actually in that situation I would probably feel the same as Hugh did, at least for a while..

although in recent years he has softened his stance somewhat, which gives hope that they can at least reconcile in some way.

There is nothing shallow about receiving payment for his genius work and something he has worked very hard for and that's how the industry works and rightly so. i can tell you now Hugh deserves every penny. The word shallow could be used more appropriately for other members of that night in my opinion.
I think Hugh has a great sense of humour he will definitely smile at the prospect of more payments coming his way and nothing wrong with that at all hes proved his worth ten fold. So much so he will have no need to rub his hands together he will be too busy planning hes 2024 tour where his audience will respect his song writing abilities and where he will be appreciated for all the right reasons and no need to hide behind a brand name.

You and some others always talk about how ecstatically happy Hugh must be when the band tours, because he gets paid.

I'm sure the money is useful to him, but again I doubt he's sitting there with a massive grin on his face because of it.

Sorry if i gave the impression that i was implying you was saying Hugh is shallow. I wasn't really meaning that it was you that brought the word shallow up so i was only reconfirming why shallow was not right in my mind and explaining why i didn't think that as well.

I think Hugh is very happy with the money as i think it allows him to tour and write music that he loves in a way that very much suits him. If the Stranglers didn't bring such finances he would have had to have gone down a completely different path, This path that would have demanded that Hugh wrote to order with a commercial gain which would have been pointless as then he may as well have stayed with the stranglers. I am not too sure how large of a grin Hugh's face would have, but i am pretty sure it will be a happy one.

It's a farce and an embarrassment what the Stranglers have turned into, so when that happens they will be under great scrutiny and criticism especially from a band like the Stranglers that were never meant to ever be like that. So if there is ecstatic comments about Hugh earning money from it, it will be people seeing things with a positive spin and money going to the right person .
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

ThinkTank wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 16 May 2023, 22:42
ThinkTank wrote: There is nothing shallow about receiving payment for his genius work and something he has worked very hard for and that's how the industry works and rightly so. i can tell you now Hugh deserves every penny. The word shallow could be used more appropriately for other members of that night in my opinion.

Sorry if i gave the impression that i was implying you was saying Hugh is shallow. I wasn't really meaning that it was you that brought the word shallow up so i was only reconfirming why shallow was not right in my mind and explaining why i didn't think that as well.

I think Hugh is very happy with the money as i think it allows him to tour and write music that he loves in a way that very much suits him. If the Stranglers didn't bring such finances he would have had to have gone down a completely different path, This path that would have demanded that Hugh wrote to order with a commercial gain which would have been pointless as then he may as well have stayed with the stranglers. I am not too sure how large of a grin Hugh's face would have, but i am pretty sure it will be a happy one.

It's a farce and an embarrassment what the Stranglers have turned into, so when that happens they will be under great scrutiny and criticism especially from a band like the Stranglers that were never meant to ever be like that. So if there is ecstatic comments about Hugh earning money from it, it will be people seeing things with a positive spin and money going to the right person .
yeah I agree with you about money going to the right people. Of course Hugh should get his cut, and so should the families of Dave & Jet.
They've done work they should get paid for it of course.
I'm sure the others will get paid fairly for their contribution too.

I suppose what I was saying is that I think Hugh is a bit of an intellectual type, and doesn't strike me as someone who is purely driven by money.

Perhaps at 72/73, and with a long career behind him he doesn't get that excited about money either?

Anyway whenever I've seen Hugh live in recent years he seems happy and so does JJ, and in the end that's all that matters..

I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I doubt very much Hugh is driven by money - if he was he'd be onstage with JJ. I think this stems from an interview where Hugh was asked what he feels about another band playing songs he wrote/played on and he said something like "my bank manager likes it" or something. He merely alluded to it. JJ (or was it Baz) said something similar along the lines of "everytime we tour he gets a cut" or something.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:59 I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he? I wouldn't be surprised, however, if he felt like any credibility or integrity that he had worked hard at for years to earn when building the reputation of The Stranglers was being pissed down the drain by whatever passes for the remains of the brand in 2023, although I suppose it hasn't affected Hugh's credibility or artistic integrity at all.
Where is the reputation getting pissed down the drain?
Only a few on here, like you, have made comments.

What I think I have seen is a great reaction to the last album, an outpouring of love for the ones we have lost (one of which had not been even playing for years), a hugely successful tour in the UK, ditto Europe and AUS/NZ. Great live reviews, positive press. and now a 50th tour and why not?
You can't accept Baz as a Strangler - I can and so can many others. FFS, Iron Maiden continue with Bruce - don't see the press griping.

They are The Stranglers. Right? Get it? Can you either stop or go somewhere else? Boring nonsense.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Iron Maiden were pretty successful with Bruce (putting it mildly!). I think Stan is probably alluding to the back catalogue (CDG, WiR) with The Stranglers name on it but who knows?

Jim

jetblacksdad wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:13
StanInBlack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:59 I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he? I wouldn't be surprised, however, if he felt like any credibility or integrity that he had worked hard at for years to earn when building the reputation of The Stranglers was being pissed down the drain by whatever passes for the remains of the brand in 2023, although I suppose it hasn't affected Hugh's credibility or artistic integrity at all.
Where is the reputation getting pissed down the drain?
Only a few on here, like you, have made comments.

What I think I have seen is a great reaction to the last album, an outpouring of love for the ones we have lost (one of which had not been even playing for years), a hugely successful tour in the UK, ditto Europe and AUS/NZ. Great live reviews, positive press. and now a 50th tour and why not?
You can't accept Baz as a Strangler - I can and so can many others. FFS, Iron Maiden continue with Bruce - don't see the press griping.

They are The Stranglers. Right? Get it? Can you either stop or go somewhere else? Boring nonsense.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 May 2023, 19:50
Ruby wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 16 May 2023, 18:59 I think Hugh rather likes the payday that he gets every time JJ and the other three play them on tour, why wouldn't he?
How much does he get ? Is it thousands or hundreds ?Just curious.You seem to know.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know Hugh benefits from "the stranglers" rolling out his era songs

Also both JJ and Hugh have mentioned it in interviews as well
Indeed. The amount that Hugh gets is irrelevant anyway, the point is that anyone would be pleased to have a stream of income that they earn by doing absolutely nothing. In an amusing sort of way, it's almost like JJ Burnel & Friends work for Hugh. I know this sort of thing rankled John Ellis when he was in the band.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:19 I think Stan is probably alluding to the back catalogue (CDG, WiR) with The Stranglers name on it but who knows?
It's difficult not to imagine Hugh sitting there giving Coup de Grace a listen and thinking "all that time put in making that name a success, and this is what they go and do"

The reason why bands like The Jam and The Smiths are still so revered is because they stopped at the right time. The Stranglers' brand has become a cabaret brand playing to an audience that increasingly don't give a shit who is in the band anymore, as long as there's a Stranglers logo on the backdrop. Fortunately, I don't have to do much to remind myself that they were a credible band once.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:54
theraven1979 wrote: 16 May 2023, 19:50
Ruby wrote: How much does he get ? Is it thousands or hundreds ?Just curious.You seem to know.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know Hugh benefits from "the stranglers" rolling out his era songs

Also both JJ and Hugh have mentioned it in interviews as well
Indeed. The amount that Hugh gets is irrelevant anyway, the point is that anyone would be pleased to have a stream of income that they earn by doing absolutely nothing. In an amusing sort of way, it's almost like JJ Burnel & Friends work for Hugh. I know this sort of thing rankled John Ellis when he was in the band.
That's exactly the sort of Hugh sense of humour i was referring to myself and i never thought of it that way but it certainly fits the bill and made me laugh.

I was also trying to think of an example i had heard in an interview somewhere with a band member saying about working hard on stage for the money to just go to Hugh and i think it was Jon Ellis comment i was trying to remember. This is why PRS forms and royalties were invented because its well known that the Music industry is fickle and the fans are fickle with New members of the band too eager to replace the talent and with no input themselves and are happy to soak in all the adulation on stage without having the ability to create better or equal the band member/ song writer that they replaced
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 May 2023, 11:03
theraven1979 wrote: 17 May 2023, 10:19 I think Stan is probably alluding to the back catalogue (CDG, WiR) with The Stranglers name on it but who knows?
It's difficult not to imagine Hugh sitting there giving Coup de Grace a listen and thinking "all that time put in making that name a success, and this is what they go and do"

The reason why bands like The Jam and The Smiths are still so revered is because they stopped at the right time. The Stranglers' brand has become a cabaret brand playing to an audience that increasingly don't give a shit who is in the band anymore, as long as there's a Stranglers logo on the backdrop. Fortunately, I don't have to do much to remind myself that they were a credible band once.
Its just like watching someone spray graffiti over a masterpiece and i cant agree more that Hugh stopped at the right time and the current band have shown no material that proves they should be continuing. But that's exactly how i see it and i don't even recognise the nature of a strangler fan anymore well they are nothing like the fans i grew up with and had late drunken chats about the band and the gigs that we used to attend. The easy acceptance of just anyone in the band and the logo comment i cant agree more with what you are saying and that whole aspect has me totally baffled.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

ThinkTank wrote: 17 May 2023, 11:51 But that's exactly how i see it and i don't even recognise the nature of a strangler fan anymore well they are nothing like the fans i grew up with and had late drunken chats about the band and the gigs that we used to attend. The easy acceptance of just anyone in the band and the logo comment i cant agree more with what you are saying and that whole aspect has me totally baffled.
It's a shame you feel that way. I was too young to see the band in any form until about 15 years ago, so have only ever seen them with Baz fronting them (which definitely skews my perspective). For me, he is the weakest of the frontmen, but every gig I've attended has still been enjoyable.

I had misgivings when Dave died, but I thought Dark Matters was a vast improvement on Suite & Giants and was pleasantly surprised with Toby when I was at the Glasgow gig last year.

The current incarnation, JJ & Friends if you will, are a nostalgia act, no doubt about that. But continuing has done very little to harm their legacy from what I can see. This forum seems to be a hotbed of negativity, but even then it's only from a few posters. The majority of fans seem to still be enjoying them and long may that continue.

After all, it would be boring if we all thought the same.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I tell you what is boring, hearing the same old tripe ad nauseam. :wink:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+