Re-releases

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Re-releases

Post by ThinkTank »

BankMan wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 17:24 I do remember Jerry Arkwright getting more of a reaction than the band did !
tbf probably an angry reaction . I had to look that act up as i had forgotten totally what the support was but it did ring a bell he was meant to be a comedian wasn't he ?. I have a vague memory of it now but It went straight over my head at the time and like all support acts that the stranglers had i totally ignored it, I cant remember any Stranglers support that i came away and thought i need to look them up which i often did when i saw other bands.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ThinkTank wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 21:03
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:29
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 14:52

Its a very underated album for some reason? And it was fantastic live to.Major Kudu.
Agreed with Dreamtime too....far to underated that when done made great live tracks too like you say,I've always thought that the La Folie tracks have made some of the best live tracks.
Dreamtime is a great album and has such a good feel about it. Extremely well written songs and although it did very well it deserved much better commercial success than it got .
Agreed! Obviously, Hugh has turned in some great vocal performances since, but I think around the time of Dreamtime and Wolf he was at the absolute peak of his powers as a vocalist.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 23:50
toilerinblack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:29

Agreed with Dreamtime too....far to underated that when done made great live tracks too like you say,I've always thought that the La Folie tracks have made some of the best live tracks.
Dreamtime is a great album and has such a good feel about it. Extremely well written songs and although it did very well it deserved much better commercial success than it got .
Agreed! Obviously, Hugh has turned in some great vocal performances since, but I think around the time of Dreamtime and Wolf he was at the absolute peak of his powers as a vocalist.
I do remember i think it was around Aural Sculpture period that the National/Music press and radio DJ s were all commenting how Hugh is having a Voice coach at this time whether it was true or not i don't know as it wasn't ever confirmed or denied.
But there was a leap in Hugh's Voice technique from Feline to Aural sculpture
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ThinkTank wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 08:18

I do remember i think it was around Aural Sculpture period that the National/Music press and radio DJ s were all commenting how Hugh is having a Voice coach at this time whether it was true or not i don't know as it wasn't ever confirmed or denied.
Don't forget that he knocked the drugs on the head between Feline and Sculpture.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

StanInBlack wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 12:51
ThinkTank wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 08:18

Don't forget that he knocked the drugs on the head between Feline and Sculpture.
ok thanks i never knew that, That would make a lot of sense now,
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree that Hugh peaked at Dreamtime....His vocals on Wolf,La Folie and Dreamtime was in his prime for sure with the band but still I think continued on with great vocals on further solo albums though after .
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Nothing wrong with his vocals on 10 either.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

jason wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 18:33 Nothing wrong with his vocals on 10 either.
Exactly, and that’s the point. He’s just a bloody good vocalist who adjusted his delivery to the tune, mix and arrangement of the song
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Feline is Hugh at his peak, some will clearly disagree, I read a review, can’t recall if it was from the time, but they were complaining how bored and moaning he sounded, not my take. On Feline Hugh sounds very English and distinctly not in the least bit American, not that he ever did, which is something which set the stranglers apart. I like the talky nature of Hugh’s vox on Feline, and think it’s the best he’s sounded…

As for Re-releases, bring them on. Hopefully Dreamtime will be considered for a vinyl rerelease. There was a vinyl issue of Feline and Aural Sculpture rereleased through Sony Music sometime in the early 2010s, didn’t get Aural Sculpture, but that Feline issue was good quality, heavy duty vinyl, no gatefold though, would be nice to see a well presented Dreamtime reissue package.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 00:09 Feline is Hugh at his peak, some will clearly disagree, I read a review, can’t recall if it was from the time, but they were complaining how bored and moaning he sounded, not my take. On Feline Hugh sounds very English and distinctly not in the least bit American, not that he ever did, which is something which set the stranglers apart. I like the talky nature of Hugh’s vox on Feline, and think it’s the best he’s sounded…

As for Re-releases, bring them on. Hopefully Dreamtime will be considered for a vinyl rerelease. There was a vinyl issue of Feline and Aural Sculpture rereleased through Sony Music sometime in the early 2010s, didn’t get Aural Sculpture, but that Feline issue was good quality, heavy duty vinyl, no gatefold though, would be nice to see a well presented Dreamtime reissue package.
Sir the c.nts who reviewed Stranglers albums didn't even listen to them most of the time,Feline is pure class,and I won't even say IMHO as I usually do,it's class end of.Major Sheerhan.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:33

Sir the c.nts who reviewed Stranglers albums didn't even listen to them most of the time,Feline is pure class,and I won't even say IMHO as I usually do,it's class end of.Major Sheerhan.
No argument here. I know at least one fan of the stranglers who grew up in the punk era that refuses to acknowledge the existence of Feline, their loss
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:44
Greatkudu wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:33

No argument here. I know at least one fan of the stranglers who grew up in the punk era that refuses to acknowledge the existence of Feline, their loss
Sir it was a big departure for the band,but you can't stand still.Major Styles