Re-releases

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Re-releases

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 14:52
StanInBlack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 14:32
theraven1979 wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 13:18 Those albums aren't up there agreed but they're not to be dismissed. Most bands would kill for output like that in their entire career. And a lot of them produced many Top 40 hits.

Jim

Dreamtime is one of my favourite Stranglers albums!
Its a very underated album for some reason? And it was fantastic live to.Major Kudu.
Agreed with Dreamtime too....far to underated that when done made great live tracks too like you say,I've always thought that the La Folie tracks have made some of the best live tracks.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 22 Mar 2023, 21:11 Sorry to be negative,but just watched a video from a few years ago of Uptown,oh dear possibly the worst vocal Baz has ever done,just appalling,drums awful to,makes you realise how good Hugh and Jet were.Major Kudu.
I wouldn't apologise about saying that everything i have heard Baz sing that's Stranglers it just sounds appalling its just embarrassing and cringeworthy i cant finish listening. Its not the sound i expected from what used to be an elite group which for me now has turned into a anything will do sound just for the sake of continuing
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 20:29
StanInBlack wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 14:32

Dreamtime is one of my favourite Stranglers albums!
Its a very underated album for some reason? And it was fantastic live to.Major Kudu.
Agreed with Dreamtime too....far to underated that when done made great live tracks too like you say,I've always thought that the La Folie tracks have made some of the best live tracks.
Dreamtime is a great album and has such a good feel about it. Extremely well written songs and although it did very well it deserved much better commercial success than it got .
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 21:03

Dreamtime is a great album and has such a good feel about it. Extremely well written songs and although it did very well it deserved much better commercial success than it got .
Sir I agree,and the Dreamtime tour was a cracker with great set list.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 21:31

Sir I agree,and the Dreamtime tour was a cracker with great set list.Major Kudu.
I think the only problem with that tour was playing at Wembley Arena which didn't work too well i thought the venue was far too large so it lost atmosphere and it meant they did less nights . I think i saw them at oxford apollo on that tour and that was better with Reading and a few more London venues later although it seemed on that tour they did mainly seated venues.. I cant remember if they did Southend Cliffs Pavillion on that tour i can certainly remember them playing always the sun more than once there. That was always a great standing venue.

Agreed fantastic setlist
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

The Dreamtour set included La Folie as I recall.Tank and Sewer as well,which I hadn't seen them play live up until then.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 09:25 The Dreamtour set included La Folie as I recall.Tank and Sewer as well,which I hadn't seen them play live up until then.
Yeah great times Ruby and you could always confidently know they would add lots of something new something interesting to the set on every tour that would leave an ever lasting memory.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 22:14

I think the only problem with that tour was playing at Wembley Arena which didn't work too well i thought the venue was far too large so it lost atmosphere and it meant they did less nights . I think i saw them at oxford apollo on that tour and that was better with Reading and a few more London venues later although it seemed on that tour they did mainly seated venues.. I cant remember if they did Southend Cliffs Pavillion on that tour i can certainly remember them playing always the sun more than once there. That was always a great standing venue.

Agreed fantastic setlist
It's a horrid venue,I was there and the gig was fantastic,but I do remember a few people at the back eating vile McDonald's and drinking coke,thats cola cola not cocaine,I believe it's the biggest venue they ever played and sold out in the UK.Major kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 11:25
ThinkTank wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 22:14

Agreed fantastic setlist
It's a horrid venue,I was there and the gig was fantastic,but I do remember a few people at the back eating vile McDonald's and drinking coke,thats cola cola not cocaine,I believe it's the biggest venue they ever played and sold out in the UK.Major kudu.
Yeah possibly if i had standing ticket at the front i might have thought it was better. But i could only get seated tickets that felt like they were miles away even though i did get good seated positions. I phoned for my tickets literally on the first day of release as well and all the better tickets had gone literally in the first hour and i was on the phone trying to get through for much longer than that.

The loudness of the cheers were good to hear i enjoyed that and yes that place was packed it was a good experience to have been there and as you say the biggest venue they have ever sold out.

pmsl @coco cola and cocaine :grin: a pragmatic Stanglers do it yourself Macdonalds
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

:smt005
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

I do remember Jerry Arkwright getting more of a reaction than the band did !
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

That Wembley arena recording was once on you tube.