New JJ Interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

New JJ Interview

Post by Cells&Plasma »

See Jim's improved Link below.
Last edited by Cells&Plasma on 04 Feb 2023, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New JJ Interview

Post by theraven1979 »

Or if you want the real link rather than someone's WordPress skin over it https://beat.com.au/jj-burnel-on-the-ev ... tranglers/

They should let Baz handle the interviews - JJ always steers it towards the "Bad boys of rock" BS

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Has JJ ever lost one ? :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 12:06 They should let Baz handle the interviews - JJ always steers it towards the "Bad boys of rock" BS
Indeed. I'd rather The Stranglers be praised for how daring and how "unsafe" they were musically rather than for deliberately getting into "bad boys of rock" type of situations, which always seemed to be more JJ's thing than the others. Being more known for The Stranglers' antics than for the quality of the music is one of the reasons Hugh fucked off.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 12:06 They should let Baz handle the interviews - JJ always steers it towards the "Bad boys of rock" BS
Indeed. I'd rather The Stranglers be praised for how daring and how "unsafe" they were musically rather than for deliberately getting into "bad boys of rock" type of situations, which always seemed to be more JJ's thing than the others. Being more known for The Stranglers' antics than for the quality of the music is one of the reasons Hugh fucked off.
It's a shame really. He's either got it into his head or someone had told him that he needs to keep breating that drum

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 16:34
StanInBlack wrote:
It's a shame really. He's either got it into his head or someone had told him that he needs to keep breating that drum

Jim

I just find all that stuff to be the least interesting thing about the band. It always was, I think.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 16:34
StanInBlack wrote: Indeed. I'd rather The Stranglers be praised for how daring and how "unsafe" they were musically rather than for deliberately getting into "bad boys of rock" type of situations, which always seemed to be more JJ's thing than the others. Being more known for The Stranglers' antics than for the quality of the music is one of the reasons Hugh fucked off.

Jim

I just find all that stuff to be the least interesting thing about the band. It always was, I think.
I dunno I got quite excited by that when I was 12. Grown up a bit since then. Only just mind!

Jim

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Even Jet was sometimes portrayed as a bit of a hell raiser which was a myth.I think the worse thing Dave did was shout an obscenity at someone from the Clash during the much regaled 'handbags' incident.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Like it or not the Stranglers started when the country was more violent,JJ does go on about it alot,and eventually it did get In the way of the music abit especially with the press,but there were genuine incidents when the band had to defend themselves,the late Jet was a very strong in his younger years And they were tough times,I have seen a photograph of Jet hurling his drum kit And Cymbals at the crowd,It may have been Australia,but yes all the macho stuff was one of the reasons Hugh left,but Hugh was certainly no shrinking violet,but JJ does go on alot about the fights etc,at least he doesn't mention Dingwalls with the Clash in the interview,but JJ has genuine anger inside of him because he was bullied for being half French,but he should talk more about the fantastic music instead of punch-ups,and remember JJ did get beaten up in Nice around the 10 era album I believe, when a group of young men shouted at him driving by And he went to ask them what they said And they beat him up,the 70s were very violent times So the music around the time reflected the times they lived in,as things went on it became less volatile so they mellowed,I don't condone violence but it certainly did happen with the band being attacked on quite a few occasions,we live in less violent times now but the country seems to have gone back In time with the industrial unrest, maybe we need a Revolution? But it usually ends up worse,so I guess its meet the new boss same as the old boss scenario.Major of Arms Kudu without my Sword.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

https://www.breakinglatest.news/world/t ... noro-2023/

Already 400 song ideas. After the Aussie/N.Zealand tour in April JJ will work them out...
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 21:43 Like it or not the Stranglers started when the country was more violent,JJ does go on about it alot,and eventually it did get In the way of the music abit especially with the press,but there were genuine incidents when the band had to defend themselves,the late Jet was a very strong in his younger years And they were tough times,I have seen a photograph of Jet hurling his drum kit And Cymbals at the crowd,It may have been Australia,but yes all the macho stuff was one of the reasons Hugh left,but Hugh was certainly no shrinking violet,but JJ does go on alot about the fights etc,at least he doesn't mention Dingwalls with the Clash in the interview,but JJ has genuine anger inside of him because he was bullied for being half French,but he should talk more about the fantastic music instead of punch-ups,and remember JJ did get beaten up in Nice around the 10 era album I believe, when a group of young men shouted at him driving by And he went to ask them what they said And they beat him up,the 70s were very violent times So the music around the time reflected the times they lived in,as things went on it became less volatile so they mellowed,I don't condone violence but it certainly did happen with the band being attacked on quite a few occasions,we live in less violent times now but the country seems to have gone back In time with the industrial unrest, maybe we need a Revolution? But it usually ends up worse,so I guess its meet the new boss same as the old boss scenario.Major of Arms Kudu without my Sword.
Yep agreed their first three albums reflected the times they were living in that's clear to hear with all the aggression and energy coming through their music which changed when they started to visit abroad which showed in "The Raven" and times changed with the music along with it too in "Feline".
Then their most underated masterpiece of music and it's Artwork of all time "The Gospel" was an incredible experimental album that i simply don't know to this day how they wrote and played such brilliance and the rest is history,but yes music always changes with the times you live in at that point.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Feb 2023, 23:52, edited 2 times in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

toilerinblack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 21:43 Like it or not the Stranglers started when the country was more violent,JJ does go on about it alot,and eventually it did get In the way of the music abit especially with the press,but there were genuine incidents when the band had to defend themselves,the late Jet was a very strong in his younger years And they were tough times,I have seen a photograph of Jet hurling his drum kit And Cymbals at the crowd,It may have been Australia,but yes all the macho stuff was one of the reasons Hugh left,but Hugh was certainly no shrinking violet,but JJ does go on alot about the fights etc,at least he doesn't mention Dingwalls with the Clash in the interview,but JJ has genuine anger inside of him because he was bullied for being half French,but he should talk more about the fantastic music instead of punch-ups,and remember JJ did get beaten up in Nice around the 10 era album I believe, when a group of young men shouted at him driving by And he went to ask them what they said And they beat him up,the 70s were very violent times So the music around the time reflected the times they lived in,as things went on it became less volatile so they mellowed,I don't condone violence but it certainly did happen with the band being attacked on quite a few occasions,we live in less violent times now but the country seems to have gone back In time with the industrial unrest, maybe we need a Revolution? But it usually ends up worse,so I guess its meet the new boss same as the old boss scenario.Major of Arms Kudu without my Sword.
Yep agreed their first three albums reflected the times they were living in that's clear to hear with all the aggression and energy coming through their music which changed when they started to visit abroad which showed in "The Raven" and times changed with the music along with it too in "Feline".
Then their most underated masterpiece of music and it's Artwork of all time "The Gospel" was an incredible experimental album that i simply don't know to this day how they wrote and played such brilliance and the rest is history,but yes music always changes with the times you live in at that point.
As a songwriter/guitarist in former bands in the late eighties to mid nineties i was writing material for the band in poor times in South London that i couldn't simply reproduce today, it's really hard to explain but again it's the times and enviroment you were living your life in at that point that reflected in your writing and music and maybe it's the same as well for an author too i wouldn't really know, but some of my best work was in the late eighties/early nineties that i simply can't reproduce again and i've tried lol as the songs today i write are on a completely different living times wavelength as compared to those i did do back in those times,so i fully get and understand the Stranglers career having listened and followed their music as a musician too through a lot of it from the outside looking in through their many decades even through they were playing in much more harder times in those early to mid 70's then when i first started to write myself as i was only a teenager then.
ChatGPT summarise the above text

Jim