Favourite album and why

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Favourite album and why

Post by StanInBlack »

I don't know, I would say that 10 is below par in comparison to the 9 before it and what Hugh went on to do in his solo career. I'd rank Wolf above 10 easily.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

. I'd rank Wolf above 10 easily
Just when I thought you couldn't get more controversial :grin:
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 00:28 I don't know, I would say that 10 is below par in comparison to the 9 before it and what Hugh went on to do in his solo career. I'd rank Wolf above 10 easily.
Wolf is a great album funny enough i was listening to a few off that tonight "Another Kind of Love" still such a great song through headphones.
But better than 10? .. i'd have to say that's a no from me as we all differ in tastes.
For me the Hugh sung songs from "10" are great songs but your right about "Wolf" being overall a great solo album from the main man agreed.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 23:56
StanInBlack wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 00:28 I don't know, I would say that 10 is below par in comparison to the 9 before it and what Hugh went on to do in his solo career. I'd rank Wolf above 10 easily.
Wolf is a great album funny enough i was listening to a few off that tonight "Another Kind of Love" still such a great song through headphones.
But better than 10? .. i'd have to say that's a no from me as we all differ in tastes.
For me the Hugh sung songs from "10" are great songs but your right about "Wolf" being overall a great solo album from the main man agreed.
Outsold again by Un Jour Parfait. Wolf managed to get Hugh dropped from his Label. Funny Old World.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Covering different lineups,
Favourite Hugh era album, Black and White (and the best overall)
Of the albums featuring John Ellis it has to be Coup de Grace
My favourite Paul album is Norfolk Coast
And of the Baz ones it’s Suite 16
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 01:50 Covering different lineups,
Favourite Hugh era album, Black and White (and the best overall)
Of the albums featuring John Ellis it has to be Coup de Grace
My favourite Paul album is Norfolk Coast
And of the Baz ones it’s Suite 16
Coup de Grace? Wow a brave choice.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 01:28
Outsold again by Un Jour Parfait. Wolf managed to get Hugh dropped from his Label. Funny Old World.
Aye,Hugh didn't like JJ's records outselling his own.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 01:28 Outsold again by Un Jour Parfait. Wolf managed to get Hugh dropped from his Label. Funny Old World.
I don't really know how much Un Jour Parfait sold and honestly I've never cared to know. Anyway, it's irrelevant to me as Wolf is quite clearly the superior work, I feel. Superior songwriting, superior singing, superior musicianship etc.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 23:56 But better than 10? .. i'd have to say that's a no from me as we all differ in tastes.
For me, it's really simple. Pick any song off 10 at random, then pick any song off Wolf at random. Most of the time, for me the song from Wolf will beat the song from 10. Also, at least Wolf sounds like Hugh's heart was in it, 10 just feels like a band (and I include Hugh in this) dialling it in, which I guess the version as released actually is. Wolf also sounds better than 10, and it isn't hampered by having the Pavarotti-fest of "In this Place" on it.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 11:53 For me, it's really simple. Pick any song off 10 at random, then pick any song off Wolf at random. Most of the time, for me the song from Wolf will beat the song from 10.
but also:
StanInBlack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 02:53 This is such an awful way of comparing one album with another.
When Jason, Jon or anyone else suggests doing the same thing.
Just saying.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 14:54
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Feb 2023, 11:53 For me, it's really simple. Pick any song off 10 at random, then pick any song off Wolf at random. Most of the time, for me the song from Wolf will beat the song from 10.
but also:
StanInBlack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 02:53 This is such an awful way of comparing one album with another.
When Jason, Jon or anyone else suggests doing the same thing.
Just saying.
Completely different thing. I'm commenting on the overall quality of one album vs. another as opposed to just pitting track one against track one, track two against track two etc. and adding up the "winners" that way which is completely NOT what I'm doing and actually is an awful way of comparing one album with another for a couple of different reasons.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep gotta agree that's a lame way of comparing albums

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"