Favourite album and why

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Favourite album and why

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 21:23 This is like having to choose your favourite child. For me it's a running rotation of Gospel, Raven and La Folie. Some days I can wake up and listen to something like Dreamtime and think it's their greatest. Depends on the mood I guess

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
That's just it Jim you said it how it is for us true Stranglers fans really that it's just to impossible to pick one even though i picked La Folie and i stand by that choice on the whole because like you have said your'll wake up on another day and think the next one or the one your playing is the best thing since sliced bread.
Because we all enjoy this bands music and all of the albums over the decades that goes with being a hardcore fan for me anyway it's basically impossible because your'll pick and album that then becomes two or maybe three of the best and so on and so one.
So i stick with what i chose but i'd have to say that the Raven was really something else for it's time and the different direction and style it was written and played in after the first three that were just mind blowing in themselves, then on another day for me it's Dreamtime and on it goes again...so i get what your saying and it's bascially impossible to pick just one without one keep changing your mind with time,i suppose what it does show is just how good this band were and in particular whatever is the best it will always ever be an MK1 album for sure.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I can't pick 1 single favourite, best I can do is rank them like this:

Top tier:
Rattus
B&W
Raven

2nd tier:
NMH
Gospel
Folie
Feline

3rd tier:
Dreamtime
Aural

All other albums that follow would have their own ranking order, but each of them fall somewhere behind these first 3 groups.

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Blimey, this is difficult! As others have said it will depend on my mood.

For ages, I would have said the Raven: the quirky songs, stunning musicianship, interesting lyrically. And I first saw the on the Raven tour...so it's always going to be incredibly important to me.

However, it's recently shifted to Gospel , sonically brilliant!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

We can all agree 9 top notch albums and one below par being 10,of course what came after is another thread.Even though the Raven is my all time favourite for so many reasons,as others have said some days others become favourites,I guess other fans of bands must have this debate to.Major kudu.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

Can never choose. For the MK1 period, each album when it came out was great because it was a new one/the next one and each of them carry unique memories of tours, gigs, school, jobs, relationships, friendships at the time

I often look back at that period and marvel at the incredible creativity and output. 10 albums, 5 solo albums (?), some decent b-sides and plenty of other collaborations. And that’s without the live releases. Every release has its special place in that incredible period and is why choosing a favourite is impossible for me

We were lucky to have witnessed it and those that are still with us are still bloody well at it full throttle
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 12:51 We can all agree 9 top notch albums and one below par being 10.
Not really.You can't assume to omit 10 on behalf of everyone just because you don't like it.Not that I'm saying it's top notch because it isn't but neither are a some of the other nine albums.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

10 still deserves to be in the Top 10 - IMO of course. It still has "the voice"

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 16:04 10 still deserves to be in the Top 10 - IMO of course. It still has "the voice"
The album is nowhere near as bad as many make it out to be.Nobody claims it's up there with their best work but the criticism was/is way over the top.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 15:23
Greatkudu wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 12:51 We can all agree 9 top notch albums and one below par being 10.
Not really.You can't assume to omit 10 on behalf of everyone just because you don't like it.Not that I'm saying it's top notch because it isn't but neither are a some of the other nine albums.
Sir I don't dislike 10 but it's deff below par from the rest of the Hugh era albums IMHO but still has some fine songs,it's the production that ruins it for me.But it's certainly better than most of the Stranglers albums that were released after Hugh left.Major Kudu.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Differs from time to time but it's always one of these

- Raven
- Rattus
- Gospel
- Feline
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Ruby wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 17:28
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Feb 2023, 16:04 10 still deserves to be in the Top 10 - IMO of course. It still has "the voice"
The album is nowhere near as bad as many make it out to be.Nobody claims it's up there with their best work but the criticism was/is way over the top.
I loved it. Thought the tracks were very commercial and it retains a very special place in my heart

But today, it's got to be Gospel as my fave!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 22:57 Once upon a time this used to be The Raven, nowadays it's either La Folie or The Gospel According to the Meninblack.
Great choices Stan.