Favourite album and why

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Favourite album and why

Post by oliverj1999 »

So no doubt this has been asked before what is everyone's favourite album and why? For me it's black and white because I can listen to the whole album and not skip a song same as norfolk coast suite xvi and rattus norvegicus
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Favourite album and why

Post by toilerinblack »

Well i'll start the topic off ...For me there's no question it would have to be La Folie not because it was their best album of all time that's questionable but it's because the album and tour togehter for a few years were just my very best Stranglers times of seeing this band all around London.My best stranglers times gig wise were between 81-83 which is all in The La Folie tour and times where also the band were really on their game and in their prime too and for me it was just the very best time to be a fan that can never be repeated again and i 'll always cherish those times and gigs with my mates.
Obviously we all know the first three were just incredible but like is say if i had to stick my head out it would be La Folie everytime which i still play more than any other album,....Just a very special album in very special times for me and Dreamtime too,but saying that all their albums are good in their own right and different way with the times that went with it to, so really it's impossible to pick just one...but for me if i had to it's La Folie,again maybe not their best but a special favourite because of the change of Jet's drums like never before and JJ's bass change too along with the songs and it's tour and especially as Golden Brown was riding high everywhere too and the Stranglers were on a crest of a wave,so for me it all went together so well.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 01 Feb 2023, 21:01, edited 4 times in total.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Cant make my mind up as Rattus and Raven are equal for me Raven was the 1st album I bought was hooked then still am but Rattus is also sublime must be up there as best ever debut album of all time
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Raven.A quantum leap from the previous three albums but their peak,for mine.A band on top of their game.It never got any better than this.A masterpiece, their finest hour.
stuartinblack
Rats Rally

Post by stuartinblack »

Ruby wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 18:46 Raven.A quantum leap from the previous three albums but their peak,for mine.A band on top of their game.It never got any better than this.A masterpiece.
Hear hear well put
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Might seem a simple question but to any Stranglers fan it's a great and somewhat difficult question
I consider myself a late bloomer,I didn't discover the Stranglers until 1978
So missed out on all the pub gigs in London and the first 2 albums
My Stranglers story started in 1978 when a mate at school lent me B&W
It was even signed by Dave,apparently his auntie or something, knew/related to him and often visited there house in Seaford,Sussex
Needless to say,I was blown away and kept hold of the album for weeks
Back then it was the only way of being able to hear it,without crudely trying to tape it on a cassette player
Finding Rattus & Heroes were equally impressive my fate was sealed
The Raven grew on me eventually, but didn't hit me like the first 3,especially B&W
Didn't like the MIB,I was worried we were losing them at this stage
Of course over the years I appreciate what an album it is,especially because of what went before,a very brave album at the time of release
I can honestly say,to this day,I cannot choose between the first 3 albums
But B&W will always be the first album that blew me away
A bit like a first love,you never forget
See You At The Bar
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

My favourite may not necessarily be my best? Either way it's The Gospel. I just loved the whole concept and artwork.
Let's Boogie
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I think the *best* have to be The Raven and Rattus for all of the above reasons, but my *favourites* would have to include Gospel, Feline and In the Night for all being endlessly interesting and strange in their own special ways.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

This has been done many times,but fuck so what,so the album that is my favourite has to be the Raven,but the greatest album for being experimental and just barking has to be MIB,but it's so hard to choose,IE at the moment Feline is my favourite,but the Raven was just mind blowing in every way.Jets greatest work for me with all the odd drum patterns.Major Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

This is like having to choose your favourite child. For me it's a running rotation of Gospel, Raven and La Folie. Some days I can wake up and listen to something like Dreamtime and think it's their greatest. Depends on the mood I guess

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Ruby wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 18:46 Raven.A quantum leap from the previous three albums but their peak,for mine.A band on top of their game.It never got any better than this.A masterpiece, their finest hour.
Agreed. Easily their best LP.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Once upon a time this used to be The Raven, nowadays it's either La Folie or The Gospel According to the Meninblack.