Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Toby songs

Post by markorbit »

Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 16:00 A hunch but i think its more contractual. They have to play so many mk1 songs to get support from the promoters. They are the ones who think if they play too many newer tracks no one will come next time.
I would doubt contracts go that far but who knows how it works at that level. Not me!
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 16:00 A hunch but i think its more contractual. They have to play so many mk1 songs to get support from the promoters. They are the ones who think if they play too many newer tracks no one will come next time.
Yes that's a very valid point,no one would go if they played mostly post Hugh era songs.Maj Kudu
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

This never used to be the case. Look at some of the MKII setlists.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

The alternative ideas are that jj and baz decide the set list and are unconsciously biased in favour of mk1; both prefer to play mk1, or they think that the audience dont want to hear newer songs.

I love wob, but why play that every time in place of two orginal songs from the last 20 years?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I suppose they know what people want to hear and mostly people don't want to hear newer songs.Major Kudu.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

A hunch but i think its more contractual. They have to play so many mk1 songs to get support from the promoters. They are the ones who think if they play too many newer tracks no one will come next time
No way promoters or venues would make demands as to what the band has to play from their catalogue. At this moment the Damned are touring Europe playing the whole new album in their set even if they've not released the thing yet
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

The setlist is so formulaic - it only ever has room for a maximum of 6 tracks from after 1990. I find it difficult to imagine baz his happy for his contributions to be ignored year after year.

Its just a strange dynamic to be in a band for this long, everyone raves about his albums, but then dont play them because the crowd need to hear ats and wob. But maybe jj and baz prefer playing mk1 over anything else?

If rat chat reappears, im going to have to ask why they never play more the 6 baz songs a night, arent i?
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 10 Mar 2023, 19:37
A hunch but i think its more contractual. They have to play so many mk1 songs to get support from the promoters. They are the ones who think if they play too many newer tracks no one will come next time
No way promoters or venues would make demands as to what the band has to play from their catalogue. At this moment the Damned are touring Europe playing the whole new album in their set even if they've not released the thing yet
Good point about the Damned I feel it's just getting the right balance no musician should keep doing the same sort of set,I do get that their fans are mainly from their most successful time and music of the Mk1 years and it brings with it still all their most successful material that the fans want to hear still but only to an extent they must realise that many are fed up hearing certain songs year in year out.
For me I think they should always do the mk1 material with so many to choose from that doesn' get an airing and also I'd certainly do more from NC and Suite post Hugh and more from Dreamtime,La Folie and The Gospel from the Mk1 years,maybe a 50/50 gig like Hugh does get so right would make a really good overall set list for today's Stranglers in my opinion.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Depends on the contract. Therell be something in U2 contract with the Las Vegas residency that they have to play Achtung, otherwise the venue would have to refund tickets.

Ive heard bands being paid to reform get a guaranteed fee, but have conditions attached.

So not unheard of.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I just tried to find 4! Errrrrrrr. Ummmmmmm. Gonna check down the back of the sofa....... :?
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

And why don't they play Toby songs 🤔😆
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 13:34 Obviously not with Mungo Jerry but did Toby ever sing lead vocals with Rialto or other bands?
Don't know but I can hear good backing vocals for sure at least I think so.
If there was to be any further new material now post Dave and Toby does have a good set of lungs on him then I say why not on the odd track like Dave did,it could give the band in their twilight years a final new fresh sound and style leading up to their 50th.
For me it has been so sad in the last couple of years with now the lose of two of it's originals moving forward wise to produce something different with the current present members in the band than trying to replicate what has sadly now been lost of the past,yes play their music live as they've always done at gigs still fans want and expect to hear the old ones but I'm talking about if there was to be any further new material released and let's see what these four members can now write and produce in their own right together and not so much what the sort of sound they think might be expectd to sound like as the Stanglers ....be different and themselves today I say you never know it colud be really good if they ever did after what they did with DM?