Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Toby songs

Post by evonx »

Obviously not with Mungo Jerry but did Toby ever sing lead vocals with Rialto or other bands?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

toilerinblack wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 19:47 Each to their own on the Dave sung songs the fact is as pointed out already Paul sung Hughs songs and Baz sing Hugh's,Paul's,JJ's and his own songs,Jim plays Jets patterns whose also sadly not here too but on his own kit,Baz plays Hugh's and John's and also his own lead parts and Toby plays Dave's material on Dave's keyboard.
The only one who hasn't changed with anybody else instrument and vocal parts wise is the only one original member left who has never changed since the beginning in '74 is....JJ!
I think rightly so after all that lot that the Stranglers is his band.
I still think of course do all the old hits after all it's what the paying fans want to hear and see from them and why not, but as the band has decided to carry on without now sadly Jet & Dave and fair play to them too i think that it would be good to hear new fresh and inventive material in their own right but obviously with the old hits still at the gigs but maybe they just want to carry on with the hits tour until they end ...who knows we will see in which future direction and path they will take after all it's their band at the end of the day and rightly so whatever they decide is right for them.
Its been a bit of a free for all with sharing vocal and music parts . For me that is the bit i cant accept as its far too important to me to keep that authenticity otherwise where do you stop let someone from the audience come up on stage and have a bash ? Don't forget JJ has shared /handed over the vocals to so many of his songs as well.
The next album will be very interesting as the band have always had Jet/Dave's input for the songs even if they didn't take part in the writing of it. It would be interesting to see how the new drummer and keyboardist fair on that one. Even better if it turns out to be the wow factor

I know its only my opinion and i can see that at the gigs there are thousands of fans that cant be wrong they all seem to be loving it. Its just not for me but i cant help myself to keep putting a shout out for the original line up lol. I hope it doesn't get boring but something in me just tries to hold on to that old band i loved so much i want that legend to not only to live on but be remembered.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well the crowds still flock,so while their is money to be made,they will keep on for a few years until JJ has had enough.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 17:18 Well the crowds still flock,so while their is money to be made,they will keep on for a few years until JJ has had enough.Major Kudu.
I just had a look at the set list the band have been doing start of this year and last year. If that set list is accurate Hugh Cornwell must be laughing and rubbing his hands together. Lots of PRS forms to fill in for Baz & Co :shock:
JJ stays at the equivalent Ritz Hotel on tour while Baz and the rest of the band do with sharing twin rooms at the local Travelodge
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ThinkTank wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 18:10
Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 17:18 Well the crowds still flock,so while their is money to be made,they will keep on for a few years until JJ has had enough.Major Kudu.
I just had a look at the set list the band have been doing start of this year and last year. If that set list is accurate Hugh Cornwell must be laughing and rubbing his hands together. Lots of PRS forms to fill in for Baz & Co :shock:
JJ stays at the equivalent Ritz Hotel on tour while Baz and the rest of the band do with sharing twin rooms at the local Travelodge
Very funny they all stay in the same Luxury Hotels, Not the local Hostels.Major Kudu
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 19:10
Very funny they all stay in the same Luxury Hotels, Not the local Hostels.Major Kudu
Define Luxury to this Audience please??
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 19:12
Define Luxury to this Audience please??
At least four Star hotels which they stay in.Major Kudu.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

You are either a brilliant stalker which i doubt or after reading other threads you have an inside information link which seems to be more the obvious one.
I was joking of course i was just really shocked and to be fair its very disappointing that even after all this time they still stick with the Hugh era of songs. I think that is an admittance of what they think of their own material in comparison as the only ones they are playing Is what they are promoting as the latest album. I think it says it all
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

FB_IMG_1678400082086.jpg
FB_IMG_1678400082086.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 3910 times
ThinkTank wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 22:36
You are either a brilliant stalker which i doubt or after reading other threads you have an inside information link which seems to be more the obvious one.
I was joking of course i was just really shocked and to be fair its very disappointing that even after all this time they still stick with the Hugh era of songs. I think that is an admittance of what they think of their own material in comparison as the only ones they are playing Is what they are promoting as the latest album. I think it says it all
Your oberservations have a very familiar style to them..I keep thinking "Where Have I read that before?".
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

That's a pretty good setlist imo.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote: 09 Mar 2023, 23:52 That's a pretty good setlist imo.
There's a massive 31 Year Gap where no Songs are represented from Marks 2 3 4 and 5.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

One 5th of the setlist are post Hugh and one of them is a cover version.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"