Toby songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

oliverj1999
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Toby songs

Post by oliverj1999 »

As much respect that we have to Dave do you think we will ever see Toby have a crack at Genetix, Peasant in the Big Shitty or Four Horsemen? Maybe even a new song with his vocalls
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Toby songs

Post by Lafleur »

Don't believe he will bring in a song he's written if he writes songs at all. It will be interesting enough to hear his keyboard parts if there will be new Stranglers tracks written by JJ and/or Baz.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

No I'm sure he wouldn't attempt to sing a Dave song. I don't know whether he can sing anyway! It would be good if he can write some decent tunes though for another album though.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I don't think Toby will attempt a 'Dave' song. Not sure that anyone should.

What is of interest is that I read that the original Cembalet has been found and Toby has it. It still has The Stranglers logo stencilled on it and It's being restored to playing condition.

I have always had faith in Toby on new material.

I think that there will a be a new album at some point and this find will give it that extra something not heard since Rattus/NMH/B&W. It will be the band's final album and will hark back to the first three.

There... you heard it here first!
Let's Boogie
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

I think all Daves vocal songs should be dropped. No-one else could do them as well.
Having said that if Tony wanted to sing on a new song, from the new album, I'd be up for I.
STEVE
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Those Dave songs will never be performed live again and rightly so.Not sung by Toby,anyway.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 18:10 I don't think Toby will attempt a 'Dave' song. Not sure that anyone should.

What is of interest is that I read that the original Cembalet has been found and Toby has it. It still has The Stranglers logo stencilled on it and It's being restored to playing condition.

I have always had faith in Toby on new material.

I think that there will a be a new album at some point and this find will give it that extra something not heard since Rattus/NMH/B&W. It will be the band's final album and will hark back to the first three.

There... you heard it here first!
Toby can play anything he's stunned me on his first tour as if he's been doing it for years well that's the Dave fan in him knowing all about Dave and playing his stuff backwards.
I wouldn't know about his vocal capability or writing being brought to the table if he can but it would be intresting to hear his own keyboard parts to any new song that's not being learnt as Dave's parts.For me his a gem found not that anybody could replace Dave because that's not his intention to or the rest of the band either but having Toby does enable a continuation and the entity still has so much to give and explore i feel there's plenty of gas left in the tank.This band now can do whatever it wants and in any direction musically it wants to go to and that for me is a great position to be in,for they can still carry on with material that still sounds like your classic stranglers songs with the sound still of Dave or they go and do something really different with who they have now.I think if there was another album it would be like DM a couple of your typical classic Stranglers songs like Water and others being really different so we could get a really mixtured album if there was to be another that is.
The entity with Toby in it still puts this band in a good place and the sky's the limit still to where they want to go and what they want to do and for how long they want to is basically in their hands because they can still put bums on seats and sell a venue out...as JJ has said there's still a call for us and peoples still want to hear and see us....and why not i say..
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Does Toby do backing vocals? I can't remember.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 00:07 Does Toby do backing vocals? I can't remember.
Yeah he does.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well doing a Dave song is a tough one do they or do they not go there with a Dave song that was so good in only the way he could and did deliver them that are now a sore miss off a live set list since his sad passing.
I may think differently to other fans maybe as i say yes they should play them in his honor and let his music and songs be heard,yes it's a fact that nobody else will cover a Dave song the way he vocally did which is why i understand that the many will say don't go there with it in the first place,but i think they should be done with him looking down with a smirky smile and a raised glass to his songs still being played live.
Can they still be done in his honor or should they?...Ask Hugh!
The main man just went straight out on stage and banged out an excellent version of Dead Ringer to his former mate and what a version of it too i add,so it's a yes from me...I say bring on Peasant,Genetix and Dead ringer for Dave for me it's not how good it can be or not to Dave's vocals because you can't it's more the fact thta the fans will still be able to hear and enjoy his fantastic work with appreciation just in the way and good manner that Hugh did.
I applaud Hugh for doing for doing and obviously JJ writing the Dave song doesen't get any better as a tribute to his friend for sure that was such a beautiful and heartfelt song.
I say play his songs why hide his genius work away and again it might not vocally sound the same but that's not the point it's playing his fine constructed majical music and the music itself would be spot on too guarenteed so i say lets hear and enjoy his fine work that was written and recorded for people to listen and enjoy to again and again...so the 50th would be perfect to once again hear Dave's masterpieces.
Hugh and The Great Elmyra have done fine versions of his songs and i think the band can too i wouldn't know what Tobys vocals are like but if not i think Baz could take on a peasant to tribute Dave.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

He will never perform Dave sung songs that would be horrendous and it won't happen,he's a great player,but those songs must never be performed again, unless Hugh sings some as he has with Dead Ringer and Peasant,I'm being harsh but I don't see Toby as a Strangler,hes just doing the Dave parts very well.Of course if they release a new album he may sing a song? Fuck knows,but personally I can't see a new album,they could barely write enough songs for the last one,the tap has run dry.Major of Arms Kudu.
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Toby songs?

Is there a Scotsman available to clarify?