New Baz interview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New Baz interview

Post by ThinkTank »

I have to admit i find the logic a little strange about it cant continue with out JJ?

Baz has been in the band for 20 years now ? and i have heard on this forum very great reviews of how brilliant he is and that also goes for the other new members of the band as well.

The Stranglers business model has been if you die or leave you are easily replaced so why is JJ more important than the rest of the band and it cant include himself. If you really do believe how great of a front man Baz is and how the other members have slotted into the roles very easily why cant they continue as it should still be a great band live ? Also Baz has put all this effort into the band for such a long time it must feel like his own band now after 20 years, isn't it time he deserves to continue as is and get the support he has earned from the fans ?

I am certain Baz will continue without JJ and i am certain that those Gigs will be just as packed as they are today with out JJ. I get a feeling that with no JJ maybe new material wont be written ever again though.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Also Baz has put all this effort into the band for such a long time it must feel like his own band now after 20 years, isn't it time he deserves to continue as is and get the support he has earned from the fans ?
Yes and no - don't forget 80% of the setlist is where the majority of punters come to see them for and these are all songs created by the original band twenty plus years before he joined so 'his own band' should then read 'his own tributeband'.
get a feeling that with no JJ maybe new material wont be written ever again though.
Well, Dutch Moon and Relentless just to name two are proof Baz can come up with good enough material though.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

ThinkTank wrote: 03 May 2023, 16:56 I have to admit i find the logic a little strange about it cant continue with out JJ?

Baz has been in the band for 20 years now ? and i have heard on this forum very great reviews of how brilliant he is and that also goes for the other new members of the band as well.

The Stranglers business model has been if you die or leave you are easily replaced so why is JJ more important than the rest of the band and it cant include himself. If you really do believe how great of a front man Baz is and how the other members have slotted into the roles very easily why cant they continue as it should still be a great band live ? Also Baz has put all this effort into the band for such a long time it must feel like his own band now after 20 years, isn't it time he deserves to continue as is and get the support he has earned from the fans ?

I am certain Baz will continue without JJ and i am certain that those Gigs will be just as packed as they are today with out JJ. I get a feeling that with no JJ maybe new material wont be written ever again though.
naaaaaaaaaah. sorry. but it's not credible to call it The Stranglers but Baz will do oK if he wants to post JJ,
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me when JJ feels it's time to call it a day then yes it should be the end of what was started incredibly nearly 50 years ago.
Could they continue without him yes of course they could they are good enough musicians who know the material backwards to do that for sure but JJ is the one original link left whose the original frontman vocalist to alot of the songs that they still do live from back in this bands hey day and he still is the one they come to see and watch and hear his great basslines and moves.
So he is the one who has that magnetic draw to the crowd and seeing the Stranglers still even though it's nothing like they once were and can never be again.
For me while he's still there and I see no ending yet on the horizon as this unit does get on so well as friends and musicians of their craft to currently or in the near future want to stop and that is the key part in why it's working so well you could tell that on Toby's walk about that everybody even those in the stage wings get on so well,so I see no reason yet to call time but when it does come for JJ mainly then I feel that should be it and rather than be another tribute but the band they could carry on in another directional format maybe but less the famous red logo of the Stranglers to their name,but I can still see JJ and Baz togehter very much wanting to in some live format keep on working together still as a guess only though from the outside looking in to what appears to be a very strong bond they have together.....and fair play to them all...
Roll on the 50th formation celebrations next year of the famous red rat and the Stranglers named logo which for me has been one of the best stlyed logos i've ever seen.....Quality !!!!
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jetblacksdad wrote: 03 May 2023, 18:03
ThinkTank wrote: 03 May 2023, 16:56 I have to admit i find the logic a little strange about it cant continue with out JJ?
naaaaaaaaaah. sorry. but it's not credible to call it The Stranglers but Baz will do oK if he wants to post JJ,
It's barely credible now but without JJ it becomes farce.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

As well as all the other reasons why the band shouldn't attempt to carry on without JJ, it's the Baz & JJ excellent partnership that has made the current version of the band a success (whether you like it or not)

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

evonx wrote: 03 May 2023, 17:11

Well, Dutch Moon and Relentless just to name two are proof Baz can come up with good enough material though.
That's about it though.Both from over 17 years ago.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

The others could carry on post-JJ if they desired but I think a slight name change would be the 'right' thing to do.

Anyway, by then Chat GPT will be so advanced you will be able to ask it to write what would have been the 12th track of 'The Raven'.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

markorbit wrote:The others could carry on post-JJ if they desired but I think a slight name change would be the 'right' thing to do.

Anyway, by then Chat GPT will be so advanced you will be able to ask it to write what would have been the 12th track of 'The Raven'.
We're not far off AI giving us something very passable for a Raven new track

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Ruby wrote: 05 May 2023, 21:20
evonx wrote: 03 May 2023, 17:11

That's about it though.Both from over 17 years ago.
Bless you, Barbara, Fickle resolve , Last men on the moon and If somethings going to kill me were pretty good as well imo.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Bless you, Barbara, Fickle resolve , Last men on the moon and If somethings going to kill me were pretty good as well imo.
Bless You has a certain charm, the others are ok, rather forgettable imho...
--eric--
and there i came
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

, it's the Baz & JJ excellent partnership that has made the current version of the band a success
Yes, that bromance works very well, especially on stage. If JJ would quit at some point it would be just Baz though. And I like Baz, absolutely, but for me he just simply can't lead a Stranglers Mk6, however talented Jim, Toby and Mr X on bass are.

Still, since about 83% of stranglers fans have bought a bass at some point in their life in awe of JJ, there are more than enough applicants of course.
--eric--
and there i came