Songs Baz to have a crack at

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Songs Baz to have a crack at

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:46
oliverj1999 wrote: 10 Jan 1970, 01:46
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 20:34 Well he did a good JLNOE so maybe he could do a good version of LMIYTTF if he hasn't already i'm not sure.
Straighten out..School Mam..Shah....Dead Los Angeles..Ice Queen...is a few.
Now to me nothing will sound like the originals but this dosen't mean current line up can't still do a fine live job of songs that haven't been done for a long time or never for fans who do still want to go and hear and see them do such tracks who maybe haven't heard of some of them before that makes a good night out or even a later purchase and i say why not if gets old songs heard again in 2023 for the great songs they were also to play again and hear the fine works created by the late Jet & Dave i think is a really nice ongoing tribute to them both,even if the many think they are not as good as the original recordings it's still nice to hear such great works of material created by the original four from back in the day.
Your gonna hate on me but I think Baz is better at straighten Out the hugh
sir no hate,it would be sad if we couldn't disagree,to be fair Baz does that one really well.Lt Kudu.
We are all stranglers and Hugh fans who all like and enjoy the best band in the worlds music may be it from the past,present or maybe future who knows,but for a lot of us being the fans from their hey day so to speak we saw and experianced a very special band from the late '70s and beyond and i like you will never forget that special band that nobody else can or could ever match i feel that much is true for sure but because before we know it they would of been going for half a century with fans joining at all different times and stages we will all like different parts of this bands history i get that and think for those who still see them live should go and enjoy them whatever they are playing...lol
But for a long time now i have only seen Hugh and i hope he will continue on touring if he doesen't then that's it on the gig front for me and that will be that ...tbh i never thought i'd see either for as long as i have so i feel satisfied and lucky too to have seen so much overall.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Jan 2023, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I think Baz does at least well, and sometimes excellent, on all the old numbers he’s had a crack at. With their tendency to try and play a couple of rarely played tracks on tours, there’re not many off the first four albums they’ve not had a crack at since Paul left. So maybe a bit more from Gospel would be interesting (e.g. Hallow, which I don’t think I’ve seen since early 80s, & Manna, which I don’t remember ever seeing played).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 23:11 I think Baz does at least well, and sometimes excellent, on all the old numbers he’s had a crack at. With their tendency to try and play a couple of rarely played tracks on tours, there’re not many off the first four albums they’ve not had a crack at since Paul left. So maybe a bit more from Gospel would be interesting (e.g. Hallow, which I don’t think I’ve seen since early 80s, & Manna, which I don’t remember ever seeing played).
Very good and fair points i think from you....Yes me too wish a little more from The Gospel but saying that i think since Paul's departure i think Baz has really tried hard to take them back to their more grass roots and has had a go at a lot of the early material like you have said.
I think as a fan he knew what the fans wanted and what was missing and did take them back to what was once was for sure...the old sound had returned again i felt.Fans will always like or dislike what they do or are doing but at least i think he's really tried and given his all and still is the one doing that so much...so credit to him..
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

oliverj1999 wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:12 Your gonna hate on me but I think Baz is better at straighten Out the hugh
My only gripe with Baz singing SO is that he does it the same way as on the album. I grew up with Live X-Certs, and Hugh didn't do the high notes in "for the little girls" on that album, so for me that's the way I expect to hear it. I don't know why Hugh didn't follow the original tune, maybe that recording was just the one time, but that's what my head expects to hear. I know Baz is probably just doing as per the recording, and maybe doesn't feel he should mess around with the song, which is fair enough.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Baz seems to repeat the album version of tracks. Its a technical skill rather than a creative one.

I don't know if thats because he is unable, unwilling or not allowed to make any changes, but it does mean that every concert sounds predictable.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I recall reading that either he or John didn't feel comfortable changing stuff that they hadn't written, so all the Mk1 stuff would be played exactly as it was recorded, or at least as close as possible. I'd imagine (I'm not a singer) that the bit I'm thinking of would be much easier to sing as it was on X-Certs, so I doubt that it's because he's unable.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'd like to hear Baz have a go at the Vladimir tracks! :grin:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 04 Jan 2023, 10:38
oliverj1999 wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:12 Your gonna hate on me but I think Baz is better at straighten Out the hugh
My only gripe with Baz singing SO is that he does it the same way as on the album. I grew up with Live X-Certs, and Hugh didn't do the high notes in "for the little girls" on that album, so for me that's the way I expect to hear it. I don't know why Hugh didn't follow the original tune, maybe that recording was just the one time, but that's what my head expects to hear. I know Baz is probably just doing as per the recording, and maybe doesn't feel he should mess around with the song, which is fair enough.
Very well pointed out i think by you...true Baz follows how it is on the tin so to speak vocals and guitar he does exactly that your right.
Hugh well he's just the master of being able to change the way he says something every time if he wants to and for me that's the class of the man,i mean how many different ways can you sing the the words..Hanging Around...quite incredible and the same goes for his guitaring too he really is both voacally and guitaring..Mr.Improvisation!
Your'll either like or loathe it ...and i love it that way myself.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 14:33
oliverj1999 wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 22:25 What songs would you like to hear Baz sing to
Feel the stranglers these days need to do more rarities
Pin up
Second coming
96 Tears
Oh please sorry his voice wouldn't be any good on these songs.Lt Kudu.
Agreed, but then he is quite comfortably the most limited lead singer to have ever professionally performed Stranglers songs as a career.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 04:26
oliverj1999 wrote: 02 Jan 2023, 22:25 What songs would you like to hear Baz sing to
Feel the stranglers these days need to do more rarities
Pin up
Second coming
96 Tears
Agreed, but then he is quite comfortably the most limited lead singer to have ever professionally performed Stranglers songs as a career.
For me, Baz is a "better" singer for the Stranglers than Paul was. I stopped going to see them with Paul but was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the gigs once he left.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Well I do think he does all right in the rawer rockier material. On the studio material one notices a lack of depth and warmth especially on the more melodic tracks. Live: classics like GB and ATS.... Ouch.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

kenl wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 18:00
StanInBlack wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 04:26

For me, Baz is a "better" singer for the Stranglers than Paul was. I stopped going to see them with Paul but was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the gigs once he left.
Well i feel the same too for me i started to see them again when Baz toke over and toke them back to the roots again as a more hard edged 4 piece
again.The Stranglers sounded more like the Stranglers of old on the tin so to speak with Baz as the vocalist than without for me....agreed.
Him having no vocal talent after such a great sounding raw DM sessions to me shows how good he sounds vocally when not over doing it and on his more softer vocals are really nice to hear i think,i'm not saying he's the greatest singer but yes i do feel he's in the right band and they are nowday's able to carry on because he's in it along with Toby too.
For me the four of them are a very good tight and organised unit who are all professional musicians who can play their instruments very well i'd just would like them to change and freshen up the set list moving forwards for the paying public but apart from that why should they stop touring?
If you like the current line up and what they do then fine great you go and see them and have a good night out and if not then you don't,so it's all about people's own preferences and what side of the fence they like to sit on.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 08 Jan 2023, 21:00, edited 6 times in total.