Best song seen live?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Best song seen live?

Post by jason »

theraven1979 wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 19:43
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Best song live?
Everyone song I saw em play between 1981-1990.
:grin:
Even Punch and Judy?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
You beat me to it!
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I don't think any one songs stands out... there's a few in contention- Genetix, Sewer, Toiler.

One special song that stands out (though certainly not the best) is LMIYTTF on the La Folie tour. It was the latest single and the band needed a hit. This is no doubt influenced by it being the first time I saw the band.
Let's Boogie
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Best surprise was Vietnamerica, it's a great song too and not had many performances so I'll go for that.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

This wasn't about the songs being the best in particular but the best memory has to be the Feline tour at Hammersmith Odeon it was my first ever gig as well as first Stranglers gig i was 16 at the time. Opening two tracks was Nuclear Device and Toiler and the sheer power and excitement of those songs hit me like a runaway train and it is something i will never forget. Hugh and Jet Started on, and had the bouncers removed from the gig (it was hilarious ) but the next night was cancelled due to all the seats being damaged. I missed the last train home meaning i had to stand in the cold all night until the first train could take me home in the morning . So a very eventful evening and a memory i will always treasure. Just Amazing
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

theraven1979 wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 19:43
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:Best song live?
Everyone song I saw em play between 1981-1990.
:grin:
Even Punch and Judy?

Jim

I'm not too big on Punch and Judy myself although its not too bad a track but that song did go down well at all the gigs. The band have also quoted in the past that it was a winner with the crowds and they always seemed to do it as an encore as well. Its a strange world i agree :grin:
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

alaninblack wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 22:22 Cocktail Nubiles at Hammersmith 81 stands out. Was totally unexpected. The way it then exploded into the normal version was pure bliss at the time.
This was also played at my first gig seeing them at hammersmith as well but a little later. I could tell they had played it before as the whole place seemed to join in with the singing of "Bring em on Bring em on bring em on" at the time i really wanted them to do the straight song of nubiles as well but they went straight into Sewer instead so no grumbles from me about that. I was totally surprised too that they did such an obscure track well it was back then at the time.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Yep,even Punch and Judy.Perhaps you just had to be there at the time.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

Ruby wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 10:08 Yep,even Punch and Judy.Perhaps you just had to be there at the time.
Pmsl yeah just like a bad joke :grin:

I was there and it didn't change anything for me my heart always sank when Punch and Judy was the last track they did on the encores. Its probably time the band did split when you start to pick up on bad band decision making i think.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:Yep,even Punch and Judy.Perhaps you just had to be there at the time.
Well I was unfortunately. After you with the rose tinted spectacles!

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I would however gladly watch Punch and Judy played 20 times with Hugh over watching 20 Any track you would like to personally choose with the current line up.

I sometimes think Stranglers fans of today must have every flavoured tinted glasses possible to wear so that any sort of performance will suffice with any sort of replacement of the band no matter how far they can push that.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

ThinkTank wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 12:08 I would however gladly watch Punch and Judy played 20 times with Hugh over watching 20 Any track you would like to personally choose with the current line up.

I sometimes think Stranglers fans of today must have every flavoured tinted glasses possible to wear so that any sort of performance will suffice with any sort of replacement of the band no matter how far they can push that.
I think I'd draw the line at Punch & Judy :grin:

To be fair it's not the live performance that is below par. They play the classics to a high standard. The weakest bit is collating 10 tracks for a very good album.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Some of tracks played at the Albert Hall were quite enjoyable with the string section. It doesn't come across so well though on the DVD though. Valley of the birds for example.
Last edited by jason on 28 Jul 2023, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.