Anyone going to Paris?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Anyone going to Paris?

Post by Cells&Plasma »

ThinkTank wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:17
Cells&Plasma wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 09:28
marky wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 06:31 Ally pally was an awful gig if ever there was a film to show a band utterly disengaged with each other this was it and let’s not mention John Ellis and the brass section
Yep it was a Disgrace. Unfortunately People who weren't there have no Idea what they're talking about.
To me this was the start of Hugh getting bored and looking for some inspiration to keep his attention in the band which did last for a few years. JJ put it down to keeping movement on stage as he said they were slowing down and they wanted visual movement to keep it interesting. The gigs were really exciting and some fantastic renditions of old songs as well

The Ally pally gig wasn't perfect by their standards but definitely not awful but i could tell something was wrong. I think one thing that i sort of noticed at the gig was the longer silent pauses in between songs where normally Hugh would have filled with some witty comments or wind ups. Not to mention how far apart they stood from each other at the front.

But if you really want to cringe it was the patter cake game the brass section used during Nuclear Device that got me cringing :grin:

You are perfectly right though that additionally its widely understood that you are not a proper fan if you wasn't at that gig and not worthy of any recognition and importance to be able to comment on the stranglers ever again. Not my words i might add but a common agreeance amongst all the true fans of the band and the band themselves pmsl :grin: All i care about is that i was there!!!!
Never heard that Bullshit about being a Proper Fan. Anybody can comment on The Stranglers.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 10:18
Cells&Plasma wrote:20230312_101938.jpg
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:20 The thing is, when all is said and done and it's all wrapped up, people aren't going to remember it. Whereas they WILL remember Ally Pally 1990, and that wasn't even a good gig, but it matters more because it represents the closing of the era that mattered most.
Ah right you think that photo is a big deal?! Image

Did you see the following night it had "The Pixies" on it. Wouldn't have minded that one tbh

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
20230319_104212.jpg
20230319_104212.jpg (639.71 KiB) Viewed 4801 times
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 00:20 The thing is, when all is said and done and it's all wrapped up, people aren't going to remember it. Whereas they WILL remember Ally Pally 1990, and that wasn't even a good gig, but it matters more because it represents the closing of the era that mattered most.
Stan,you seem to be quite the expert

How many times did you see mk1 live?
See You At The Bar
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

strangledinAuch wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 20:15
Stan,you seem to be quite the expert

How many times did you see mk1 live?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shush this is serious
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I don't know how anyone can rate a gig they never even attended.The general consensus is that Ally Pally was a poor gig but you had to be there to form your own opinion.I wasn't there myself and so I have never rated it one way or another.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Ruby wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 11:06 I don't know how anyone can rate a gig they never even attended.The general consensus is that Ally Pally was a poor gig but you had to be there to form your own opinion.I wasn't there myself and so I have never rated it one way or another.
It was dull! Really not atmosphere. A big cavernous room. Rather shit support acts too.
And the live album and VHS (yes!!!) proved it
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 12:01
Everyone seems to forget about John Ellis! Even while he was in the band he didn't seem to cop the same amount of flak as PR did.
He did from me.

Didn't like his blues licks, solo embellishments or stage persona.

But he is a very nice man from the couple of chats I had with him
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Off thread a bit,I saw some footage from Paris Olympia and during Heroes the Chap with the Mohican and Kilt gets on the stage,who is he? He also did the same at the Paris TV gig last year? Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jetblacksdad wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 13:27
He did from me.
Two faced get. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:
He did from me.
Two faced get. :smt005
Image. Regardless of what some people think JJ certainly thought he was the right man for the job

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 18:46 Regardless of what some people think JJ certainly thought he was the right man for the job

It was a marriage of convenience I think.They couldn't be arsed looking for a guitarist as well as a singer.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Mar 2023, 12:01
Everyone seems to forget about John Ellis! Even while he was in the band he didn't seem to cop the same amount of flak as PR did.
He did from me.

He did have a really scary moody stare though sometimes!