Acoustic album

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Acoustic album

Post by StanInBlack »

I'd rather have a new JJ solo album (not a JJB&F album)
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I think that would be a great thing, Baz doing Wingmen.

Time to reflect.
Loved DM and enjoyed the gigs

But would like a JJ album so he can spread his wings a bit.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd rather have new material - A new JJ solo album is long overdue IMO

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Half of DM wax acoustic, ok it wasn’t but it kind of was, The Lines on my face, I could gladly never hear that track again.
I haven’t heard Laid Black, it’s quite hard to find these days, I couldn’t say if it was any good, I imagine it was alright, their acoustic set in London 2005 was one of the best acoustic shows I have seen, saw an excellent Hugh Cornwell acoustic show not long after 8)
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 10:16 So i know this isn't MKV stuff but what is everyone's thoughts on Laid Black if they we're to look back now and take a listen?
Feel like this album is forgotten about, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.
Do you think the MKV line up would release an all acoustic album again, throwing in some classics?
Oh , please ........NO 😱 . Got Laid Black , listened once and never again . Can't abide acoustic and for that reason I don't listen to the acoustic type stuff on DM , the rest is ok . It's just one step away from the horrid jazz stuff . Don't ruin classics by making them acoustic .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 21:56
toilerinblack wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 19:15
oliverj1999 wrote: 19 Dec 2022, 10:16 So i know this isn't MKV stuff but what is everyone's thoughts on Laid Black if they we're to look back now and take a listen?
Feel like this album is forgotten about, whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know.
Do you think the MKV line up would release an all acoustic album again, throwing in some classics?
Well i'm probably one of the biggest acoustic fans going..
So for me i liked Laid Black but talking about acoustic albums or gigs i thought Paul was at his best live on the on screen acoustic one in 2005 i think off my head not sure, anyway bloody good sound and his vocals were dynamite but this was Paul at last finally laying down his stamp in the band i feel around that time and obviously with NC too.
Again not Laid Black but how good was it to start any acoustic gig with Instead of this that was amazing!
So yes i like looking back to Laid Black like you say and it was good but............they got got so much better moving forwards with the whole acoustic thing where Laid in Black was in 2001 on screen in 2005 was better and the DM session tracks were of a very high class too,so for me Laid Black is good but they've followed that up after with far better versions i think,i mean i don't go anymore to see them live since Dave but back in the day i would pay anyday of the week to see them with an acoustic gig many wouldn't but i would,also in the other camp Hugh's top dog at acoustic studio and live albums and his now forever lasting one man band gigs too over the decades have been empty sounding but quality i love his busker style gigs....so they are both very good at it at the end of the day...but back on track Laid Black is good but they got so much better and perfecting their tight acoustic sound after that album in 2001.
So you bringing up the whole Laid Black acoustic make's me think it's time they released one for starters it would be so good to hear some of suite's and DM tracks on an acoustic one like the live sessions i'd love to hear another one a Laid Black 2 would be good.
Agree, spectre of love would sound interesting and some old classics like North Winds
Is it pantomime season ?

Anyway ...........oh no it wouldn't !
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

All i would want is more from the Stranglers where for me i'm not really a JJ solo fan...so more from the band an acoustic one of what they have already done would be nice and give some songs a new lease of life and and airing which would be good to hear as i don't know if they will ever release anymore new material post Dave maybe that is their intention or maybe not,but a new JJ album really wouldn't be for me.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 08:48 They did Mine All Mine at the acoustic gig latest convention (2011) ... was pretty poor, Baz admitted he couldn't reach the notes our Paul can.
Time to die
A modern day Shadows/ Ventures new wave track acoustic? Can't see that work well.
Well obviously Paul has been the greatest singer the band has ever had but for me the greatest singer vocal wise doesn't always mean your the best suited one ever which obviously for me anyway is Hugh.
Paul sang songs that only he could do that's for sure i don't think that's questionable but as far as baz is concerned he can and has taken on Paul sung songs and done them very well too.
First track that comes to mind is Dutch Moon which he's done beautiful versions of as good as Paul for me,Baz is the only singer that can take on certain Paul and Hugh songs admittingly but i heard recently an excellent JLNOE from Nottingham in 2018 that was perfect and fautless to incredible versions of Paul's Dutch Moon so however people feel about Baz i think he's has been their best versatile vocalist who has also sang very well on DM too and however good many say Paul is and he is Baz on the DM acoustic sessions was as good for me as paul was acoustically but obviously there are certain Paul songs that Baz wouldn't be able to take on end of and they happen to be a lot of Paul tracks i like that will probably never see the light of day again maybe becaue they just don't to take on the songs vocal range,so it is a shame that so much great past material dosen't get an airing today.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

I can't agree that Paul is the greatest singer the band had.
Technically he has a great range and power but with that comes the responsibility to use those skills sparingly and I just don't think he did. Some OTT performance more suited to his current activities.

Some of his performances, like Dutch Moon as you rightly say, were great. But then I think of some of the over emphasis on phrases, especially live, and I do cringe a bit.

Sorry to be a dissenter, but it's Hugh's rich tones that work best for me.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

God know and thrice no, really time for the band to call it a day now me thinks.Lt Kudu
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

A JJ solo accoustic album with lush string arrangements would be a wonderful thing...and would really suit his (now) gnarly aged voice.

Ain't gonna happen though!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 13:51 I can't agree that Paul is the greatest singer the band had.
Technically he has a great range and power but with that comes the responsibility to use those skills sparingly and I just don't think he did. Some OTT performance more suited to his current activities.

Some of his performances, like Dutch Moon as you rightly say, were great. But then I think of some of the over emphasis on phrases, especially live, and I do cringe a bit.

Sorry to be a dissenter, but it's Hugh's rich tones that work best for me.
No i agree with you for me it has and always will be Hugh hands down as my favourite singer he is the Stranglers for me and always will be agreed...
All i was saying is Paul is probably technically their best with his vocal range and for sure he sang songs that no other could,for me there will never be another vocal deliverance that Hugh had and has that's why i find it hard anybody else having ago at a Hugh sung song and that's just what never worked for Paul for me as a Strangler doing the Hugh songs live just made me just cringe...but saying that i think technically he was their best and i don't really see that he wasn't but it's all how people see and hear it themselves,all their frontman have put their own stamp on the band in their time that they were in the ever lasting entity which i'm greatful for because it looks like it has helped them hopefully reach their.... 50 year mark in a couple of years and i think they would want to see that before calling time and what a huge tour that would be if they did,i thought the ruby was big but this would be something to forever look back on with pride.