The Cure

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Cure

Post by theraven1979 »

What's the deal with The Cure? I don't mind some of their 80s stuff but they seem a tad overrated? They've just done a UK tour and the media attention they received seems incredibly generous. Everyone wanking on about them. I saw them live at a festival in the naughties and thought they were very average. What gives? They much improved live now or something?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The Cure

Post by droopsnoot »

I don't know much of their stuff, but I did record their performance at Glastonbury a year or two back. For a set that was closing the festival (or at least the headline set for one of the nights) I thought it was very slow and plodding*. That might be what they mainly do (I only really know the popular singles stuff) but it seemed completely unsuitable to round off a night at a massive festival.

( * maybe it's atmospheric)
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

yeah, agree they're definitely overated. Sort of becomming one of those "national treasure" bands. I guess they're good at what they do, but I've never really gotten into them in a big way..
I Hate You !
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

A big fan here. I saw them on Monday at Wembley. Pure class

Like all bands of their vintage there are (for me) moments of sheer brilliance and stuff I can't listen to.

At their best, their intricate guitar and vocal melodies...usually very melancholic...are a joy. But you do sometimes do need to put the legwork in...their album Distintergration took a while to make sense for me.

And I do think that Robert is a sincere and honest song writer.

If you ever do take a punt on them live...do take comfy shoes or a seat...average sets are 2 hours 40 mins!

Live...Simon Gallop on bass provides all the rock god posturing!
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I watched the cure at Glastonbury (on tv) with my daughter, and she asked "do you really like these unironically?"

I like them, and played their first few albums to death, but they are a bit of a bucket list band now, where people who dont really like them go to their concerts.

They lost something when they kicked lol out. And theyve become a 'greatest hit in a stadium' band, rather than one that can produce anything different anymore.

But ill always have a soft spot for them.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Banged one of their albums on earlier and jeeze it really washed over me. Dunno, I'm not gonna slate them cos they are a talented bunch but I just don't get the hype. Fair play to em

Jim
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Like a lot of music, you have to be there at the time and probably the right age, to appreciate it. A high school kids now in california arent going like the smiths, just as i dont get buddy holly.

I do think the cure are an excellent live band. Theyve evolved their back catalogue and made songs a bit heavier.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I'm in agreement Jim. They became a stadium band without me noticing. I like a handful of things but I don't get how they became so acceptably big.

As an aside one of the things that annoy me is whenever someone does a best bass player poll that Gallup fellow is always put forward as well :lol:
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They've done a few great songs but I don't know all of their stuff. Yes I agree they do seem over hyped. I thought they sounded pretty good at Glastonbury though. It made me actually wonder if it was actually all played live because it almost sounded too good!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

How many original members in the band currently touring? When I saw them I'm pretty sure they had Bowie's/Tin Machine guitarist with them.

Jim
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Its only robert smith, simon gallup been there from early on with a bit of a gap - i dont think he was around for the lovecats era.

In my mind, the line up constantly changes, but i think its been fairly static for a number of years now.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

The Forest one of the greatest songs ever IMHO,but they became to Stadium for me, massive in USA,at least they avoided the Cowboy hats.Lt Kudu.