Tilburg

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toneinstoke
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Tilburg

Post by toneinstoke »

A nice city to visit.
Great new venue
Great crowd in
Another great gig, and
Baz said "we'll be back"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Tilburg

Post by evonx »

Yes, that was a good gig and the band seemed in real good spirits. Highlights for me were Toiler, White Stallion (quite a production) and Tank. For me quite a long way out (Tilburg) but the venue is very nice. Good stuff. That Toby lad is very good btw.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Good to hear positive views about the band,a great vibe on this tour.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 15:32 Good to hear positive views about the band,a great vibe on this tour.Lt Kudu.
I second that too it's so good to hear positive things being said about the band and again Toby being praised up by a very long term fan of this band which to me carries credability too.
When we had Dave's sad passing i really thought that would be it on the live front after someone who owned the keys for 47 years who gave this band their historic sound but Toby really has been a saviour enabling them to carry on touring still,we all know that Dave can never be replaced not that the band are trying too as such but they found in Toby the best filler for the job who seems a true gent top and a top musician with a great character too,again it's great to read of a with another great gig with satisfied fans.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 18:00
Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 15:32 Good to hear positive views about the band,a great vibe on this tour.Lt Kudu.
I second that too it's so good to hear positive things being said about the band and again Toby being praised up by a very long term fan of this band which to me carries credability too.
When we had Dave's sad passing i really thought that would be it on the live front after someone who owned the keys for 47 years who gave this band their historic sound but Toby really has been a saviour enabling them to carry on touring still,we all know that Dave can never be replaced not that the band are trying too as such but they found in Toby the best filler for the job who seems a true gent top and a top musician with a great character too,again it's great to read of a with another great gig with satisfied fans.
Sir yes when Dave passed away I thought the band should finish,but things changed,they finished the album and I saw them at Reading and they were fantastic,it took time to accept Dave had gone,but Toby is an absolutely brilliant player and respects Dave parts as he is a huge fan,they were so lucky to find Toby,he fits in so well,and is quite eccentric by all accounts and a really nice bloke,I saw him walk to Venue in Leuven when I was having my afternoon meal but didn't talk to him as didn't want to invade his space,he has fitted in so well and the fans have taken to him which is great,the band couldn't have any better player,it's not just his ability but he fits in to,so I see them going on for at least another 2 to 3 years and JJ is so fit,can't believe he is 70.Lt Kudu. :smt006
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

This show in Tilburg was my first one without Dave being there. I was a bit doubtful, of course I had read all the positive remarks about Toby on the recent UK and other Euro gigs but it felt a bit weird.... JJ being the sole original strangler on stage .... Thankfully Toby proves to be a cool cucumber playing Dave's part with the same virtuosity and respecting the parts as they always were. He apparently fits in very well with the others, being a bit of an outsider/ eccentric like Dave was too.
Went home smiling. This is still the Stranglers. Still a great live band.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 08:19 This show in Tilburg was my first one without Dave being there. I was a bit doubtful, of course I had read all the positive remarks about Toby on the recent UK and other Euro gigs but it felt a bit weird.... JJ being the sole original strangler on stage .... Thankfully Toby proves to be a cool cucumber playing Dave's part with the same virtuosity and respecting the parts as they always were. He apparently fits in very well with the others, being a bit of an outsider/ eccentric like Dave was too.
Went home smiling. This is still the Stranglers. Still a great live band.
So glad you enjoyed it Sir.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 19:50
Sir yes when Dave passed away I thought the band should finish,but things changed,they finished the album and I saw them at Reading and they were fantastic,it took time to accept Dave had gone,but Toby is an absolutely brilliant player and respects Dave parts as he is a huge fan,they were so lucky to find Toby,he fits in so well,and is quite eccentric by all accounts and a really nice bloke,I saw him walk to Venue in Leuven when I was having my afternoon meal but didn't talk to him as didn't want to invade his space,he has fitted in so well and the fans have taken to him which is great,the band couldn't have any better player,it's not just his ability but he fits in to,so I see them going on for at least another 2 to 3 years and JJ is so fit,can't believe he is 70.Lt Kudu. :smt006
Yep agreed with all you have said here too,i really can't believe they found Toby too like you have said which is an important part to me it's not just being the best or a really good player all though ability is an important part to join this band but like i kept saying way back when we were wondering just who should come in and big names were being thrown around i kept saying in what i believed to be a right move in their search to join this band and that was bring in a tribute player someone who already loves and knows Dave's music and a fan of this band big name or not,they did just that even though at the time Toby was unknown to me but the principle and the thinking was the same and boy was it a great move because he's slotted straight in and loves this band to bits and can't believe he's in the best band in the world so to me that's why it's working out so well and so quickly well what seems like instantly and it's been such a great move by JJ and co to bring in the right person and and like you say how long can they keep going?...as far as i can see and JJ is so fit still at his age like you have said so i think for as long as they want to in just my one fans opinion.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Oct 2022, 18:15, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 17:48
Greatkudu wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 19:50
Yep agreed with all you have said here too,i really can't believe they found Toby too like you have said which is an important part to me it's not just being the best or a really good player all though ability is an important part to join this band but like i kept saying way back when we were wondering just who should come in and big names were being thrown around i kept saying in what i believed to be so right to join this band and that was bring in a tribute player someone who already loves and knows Dave's music and a fan of this band big name or not,they did just that even though at the time Toby was unknown to me but the principle and the thinking was the same and boy was it a great move because he's slotted straight in and loves this band to bits and can't believe he's in the best band in the world so to me that's why it's working out so good and so quick and it's been such a great move by JJ and co to bring in the right person and and like you say how long can they keep going?...as far as i can see and JJ is so fit still at his age i say for as long as they want to in just my one fans opinion.
Sir yes agree with all you say,I wish I could have done another Euro Date but loved Leuven and nice people to,had alot of bad jokes with the locals, especially when I tried to speak Flemish.Lt Cmdr Kudu that's Kudu not Bond. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Sounds like you had a great time and well worth going to see them,they do amaze me still and especially with JJ at 70 with still all the energy and enthusiasm and proffessionalism too who these days seem to just be really enjoying what they are doing because they all get on so well and the crowd interaction is as good as ever with JJ so relaxed and seems very happy overall.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 06 Oct 2022, 20:54, edited 2 times in total.
toneinstoke
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by toneinstoke »

As JJ keeps telling us at the end of every gig now,
The greatest rock & roll band in the world !
Most of us on here have known that for years.
Lets hope they continue for a few more years.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toneinstoke wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 13:33 As JJ keeps telling us at the end of every gig now,
The greatest rock & roll band in the world !
Most of us on here have known that for years.
Lets hope they continue for a few more years.
Agreed!