The Stranglers Leuven 28/09/22.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

The Stranglers Leuven 28/09/22.

Post by Greatkudu »

Lt Kudu Reportage Sunny Leuven 28/09/22.

I arrived at Venue around 20.30 and saw a bit of support act, sadly the Membranes were not playing this date so it
Was a Belgium Punk band they were pretty good with the Bass player sounding very much like JJ.

The Stranglers came on just before 21.30 and , stormed into a really good version of Toiler,from this first song this was going to be a great gig, for me the highlights or some of them were Last Man on the Moon,Duchess, Stallion and possibly Skin Deep,now i always go with an open mind and this was to be my final ever Stranglers Euro gig and I went out on a high,Baz vocal ability gets questioned alot on here and I'm guilty of that to,but in all honesty his vocals in Leuven were really good,I would say the version of Duchess was possibly the best I have heard Baz sing it and his Banter was very funny, good to see the Leuven crowd learning from their cousins across the Channel by shouting out silly stuff.

After the first song Baz said I've noticed two things,there is a man with his arms folded and there is someone wearing a shirt and tie with words to that effect,he took the juice out of the chap with the Suit and Tie,who took it in the good natured way of the joke from Baz,I did notice this chap and he had a very smart expensive looking blue suit with Gold Horizontal stripes,as Baz said a stockbroker who had come straight from work,but good luck to the chap, no reason why he has to be a stereotype wearing all black, talking of Banter Baz was having some fun with someone who was shouting out ans shock horror it seemed to be a Belgium chap rather than a Brit,Baz did a very funny impression of the shouting man.

The set was similar to the Irish ones ie Harry and Sweden but they also played six songs from Dark Matters and a pleasant surprise was JJ and Baz doing the Lines and If you should see Dave before the final encore,Baz asked the crowd to shut the Fuck up before they played those two songs, probably due to the last time they played those two songs a few days before and JJ having to shout at audience due to a few loud drunk audience members,I'm being diplomatic.

Before I move on there is such a great rapport on stage at the moment with the band,they are definitely in a happy place,we will never forget Dave but Toby really is the best player the band could have,he really is a fantastic player,I was watching the whole band and they all were on top of their game so I won't single anyone out apart from Jim Mac for sheer power and energy,now that lad really hits the drums hard and is such a Powerhouse but also has the light touch when needed,this is particularly evident on Peaches,he plays the high hat part so well,that if you closed your eyes you would think it was Jet.

JJ was his usual smiles but seemed more up beat than usual,he seemed to be drinking Beer that may account for it? :smt005

Of the new songs I thought White Stallion seemed to go down particularly well with the crowd,with the dodgy JJ disco dancing for added entertainment,it's good to see him having fun, nothing wrong with that,GB did get the biggest reaction and know surprise about that,the songs from Dark Matters got a more muted reaction,so the band know alot come for the older songs,I thought it was brave to play so many from Dark Matters,and they all sounded better than the studio versions IMHO.

Got to mention the sound it was crystal clear courtesy of the Fifth Beatle Mr Nicastro.

The gig was a sellout And the Het Depot Is a great medium sized venue,had a perfect view from just in front of the Fifth Beatles mixing desk,the only negative was a chap in front who seemed to have a bowel problem,he must have farted silent but deadly about 15 times in the hour and 45 minutes that the band were on for,why the fuck does it always happen to me,I either have the talkers or the silent but deadly Eggy farters :smt013

After the poignant part of the set with the playing of the Lines and If you should see Dave we had the final two songs Go Buddy Go and to finish Heroes,very refreshing that JJ just got on with it instead of Karate hitting his bass before the into,they were joined on stage for half of Heroes by our Friend from Belgium? Who always wears the Kilt, usually when he tries to get on stage he is stopped but this time he made it,much to the amusement of JJ and Baz,but the trouble is he over did it,the bouncer tried to give him the hint to come off the stage but the enthusiasm got the better of him so the Bouncer took him away,it was very amusing,this chap is a fanatical fan I believe,but he should of quit when given the hint.So that was it 23.15 it was all over,my last ever Euro gig and personally I thought it was a blinder,the band knew they had played a great one as Baz said Leuven its been an absolute pleasure.Lt Kudu your roving reporter,I hope I haven't bored you all to much,over and out.Bon Voyage. :smt006
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Stranglers Leuven 28/09/22.

Post by Ruby »

Thanks for that,Kudu.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Great stuff Kudu, thanks!
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Great review as always....nice read i enjoyed it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 21:16 Thanks for that,Kudu.
Thanks Sir.Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Josh wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 21:21 Great stuff Kudu, thanks!
Thanks Sir it really was a fantastic gig.Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 23:10 Great review as always....nice read i enjoyed it.
Thanks Sir very kind.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 00:02
toilerinblack wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 23:10 Great review as always....nice read i enjoyed it.
No probs it was a good review with a lot of effort put into you account of the night and i'm glad you enjoyed your last Euro as it sounded a good one.
We know Dave can never be replaced not that they are trying to ever do just that but a good enough filler to be able to carry on touring and earning with future gigs,they all appear to be really getting on well as a unit.
So did you enjoy the overall sound and energy of the complete night's set with this current line up as much as ever or not as good? do you think they should keep on going after your first hand experiance of actually being there soaking up the atmosphere as a fan ..Just curious as i have'nt been there in person since Dave to be able to make any real comment but only from listening to gig audios which isn't obviously the same with the whole live acoustics within the building etc for me to be able to make any real judgement or comment of a gig ,but from what i have heard they still seem on top of their game still sounding tight and full of energy who seem a close unit still and enjoying the crowd interaction too as much as ever with some good banter as well....just curious you having being there on the ground in person so to speak.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 01 Oct 2022, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 13:11
Greatkudu wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 00:02
No probs it was a good review with a lot of effort put into you account of the night and i'm glad you enjoyed your last Euro as it sounded a good one.
Thanks Sir,I always go with an open mind,but they were so good,of course you miss Dave etc but to me they are still the Stranglers,Baz really owns that front man role and his Banter was so funny,his voice has definitely improved over the last few years,and he has such a good rapport with JJ that's the key really,Toby such a great player and Jim like a younger Jet black but what a fine drummer he is and I'm hard to please when it comes to Stranglers drum pattern scrutiny but he has my seal of approval :smt005 Not that he needs it,the sound of his drums is tuned to the Stranglers sound.I say it's the last ever Euro gig but if they played Lille again I would be tempted,but as it stands that's it for Kudu.And I went out on a high IMHO.Good crowd as well,despite a few Le Tosseurs but i think the Band actually like people shooting out crap as it adds to the atmosphere,if no one shouts out there's no reaction and Baz wouldn't be able to do his Banter If there was no verbal communications.Lt Kudu cream crackered in Sunny Salisbury,over and out . :smt006
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

oh just read your comment as i was typing mine asking what you thought on the band long term...lol
Anyway i'm glad it was a good night for you.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 13:38 oh just read your comment as i was typing mine asking what you thought on the band long term...lol
Sir my view is if they can keep the standard up live,they can go on for another 2 to 3 years? Perhaps? And if they can come up with quality material,no reason why they shouldn't release another album,I understand that is the plan but no one believed me so I won't mention it again,but the way they played in Leuven says to me it would be criminal to give up anytime soon when they are still a fantastic live band, enjoy playing and still have an audience,and of they give people enjoyment,then I say carry on until the day comes when it's not fun for them anymore,but at the moment it's a few years off IMHO.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 13:44
toilerinblack wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 13:38 oh just read your comment as i was typing mine asking what you thought on the band long term...lol
Sir my view is if they can keep the standard up live,they can go on for another 2 to 3 years? Perhaps? And if they can come up with quality material,no reason why they shouldn't release another album,I understand that is the plan but no one believed me so I won't mention it again,but the way they played in Leuven says to me it would be criminal to give up anytime soon when they are still a fantastic live band, enjoy playing and still have an audience,and of they give people enjoyment,then I say carry on until the day comes when it's not fun for them anymore,but at the moment it's a few years off IMHO.Lt Kudu.
Yep gotcha..that's an honest and fair view and i too not that i've been there in person nowday's to comment on how good they are or not live see no problem them carrying on for a good few years yet and they will know i suppose when to call time.On the new material front i can imagine that they might still release new material in some sort of format may it be an odd single or ep or the full whole albums worth who knows,but this unit is still full of quality and experiance right the way through the whole unit so why not if fans are still wanting to see and hear them live i say ....good luck to them all....again glad you had a good experiance with a good review too thanks.