Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Suite XVI or Dark Matters?

Poll ended at 03 Mar 2023, 17:25

Suite XVI
54%
Dark Matters
46%

Total votes: 56

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

Post by theraven1979 »

Relentless is sooooo weak. It's like paint by numbers Stranglers and it fails so badly

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 22:30 Relentless is sooooo weak. It's like paint by numbers Stranglers and it fails so badly

Jim

Well each to their own on what's good and weak .
I'm not going to defend it as for me i think it speaks for itself...but that's only how i hear it as we all hear good and bad songs differently.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 22 Sep 2022, 23:23, edited 4 times in total.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Dark Matters for me.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

theraven1979 wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 22:30 Relentless is sooooo weak. It's like paint by numbers Stranglers and it fails so badly
Jim
The chorus might be but I wouldn't say the same about the verse.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

For me both DM and Suite are very good in their own different right with two great leading strong songs from each with Relentless & White Stallion and if they ever was to do another album then i'd be more than happy if any of it's songs from it were to be as good as these two are....more than happier because i don't think it can get much better from all aspects with these two proven songs....again only my one fans worth.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 14:47 For me both DM and Suite are very good in their own different right with two great leading strong songs from each with Relentless & White Stallion and if they ever was to do another album then i'd be more than happy if any of it's songs from it were to be as good as these two are....more than happier because i don't think it can get much better from all aspects with these two proven songs....again only my one fans worth.
The more I listen to Relentless the more it means something,it's just a Stranglers classic IMHO,I'm having second thoughts about Dark Matters,it doesn't help comparing albums,Dark Matters was the best they could do at the time in tragic circumstances etc,it could have been better but albums are of the time and it reflects that in the way it was finished remotely,but I need to listen to it again.Lt Cmdr Kudu or bond. :smt005
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

To me, DM just seems like they threw everything at it just because they could, without any thought or reason.
A bit like 10.

I don't think relentless is bad. But I think it's seen as bazs best by far, so over hyped.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:42 To me, DM just seems like they threw everything at it just because they could, without any thought or reason.
A bit like 10.

I don't think relentless is bad. But I think it's seen as bazs best by far, so over hyped.
You could say that they threw everything at White Stallion and they did i can agree with that where some may feel it's a bit over the top and i can get that too even though i love it myself but that's how JJ wanted it to sound and he certainly go that lol...but a bit like 10? i don't think so in just my opinion that any of the tracks were OTT music wise but many will say there was to much production to 10 and i do get that tbh, but for me 10's songs were just great songs from Hugh anyway for me they were but with to much production i can understand that too even though i like how is it,the same could be said with Hooverdam too which it was i think ,i only just wished that the great songs that they all are were just left like that with a more clean and raw sound to them where really the added production can just ruin what is a great song more left alone with a more cleaner rawer sound to them well for me anyway,but again it's just my view and many will like how they do sound on the final studio recordings overall which is fair enough.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:42 To me, DM just seems like they threw everything at it just because they could, without any thought or reason.
A bit like 10.

I have to disagree with you about Relentless,it's just a really great song IMHO.Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Greatkudu wrote:
A bit like 10.

I have to disagree with you about Relentless,it's just a really great song IMHO.Lt Kudu.
Yes I too still think Relentless is great.

It may sound a bit "typical Stranglers", but that's good in this case. Yes Dave's appregios are nothing new, but they still sound great on this track. Baz's vocals are spot on and the subject matter is a worthy one as long as it doesn't keep getting repeated, which it hasn't.

For me Relentless deserves it's Stranglers Classic status.
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Very average imo. After the intro it doesn't really go anywhere. Just lyrics about being an old fart. There's better songs on that album

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Very average imo. After the intro it doesn't really go anywhere. Just lyrics about being an old fart. There's better songs on that album

Jim

I Hate You !