Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Suite XVI or Dark Matters?

Poll ended at 03 Mar 2023, 17:25

Suite XVI
54%
Dark Matters
46%

Total votes: 56

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

Post by Jake »

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I don’t even recall if this was done.

With the reissue of Suite XVI, there seems to be a bit of renewed enthusiasm for this album, and it’s the more current product being promoted than Dark Matters.

I’ve essentially rediscovered Suite, after a long pause. I absolutely loved Suite upon release, didn’t feel the same degree of enthusiasm for either Giants or Dark Matters though.

I’ve been playing Suite pretty “relentless” relentlessly since the reissue for the first time in way over a decade. I thought I would see how my view of Dark Matters has altered by way of contrast, so stuck that on for maybe only the second time this year.

I find Suite an almost rock solid album compared with Dark Matters, I find a lot of Dark Matters is filled with cheese, Suite feels like it has more integrity by comparison, odd considering the behind the scenes circumstances of the band. I think a lot of the rhythm section throws me on DM, whereas the rhythm on Suite is sublime in places. The song writing strikes me as stronger, more sincere, and more urgent on Suite, and I would say it’s the album where I like Baz’s vocals the most.

Unfair comparison? Just curious, which do you prefer Suite XVI or Dark Matters?
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Dark Matters Vs Suite XVI

Post by parasiteinblack »

Think it's got to be Suite for me.
I know I keep banging on about it but She's Slipping Away is one of the all time greats and nothing on Dark Matters can beat it, as much as I like it.
Norfolk Coast is still the best of the Baz albums though, and Giants is easily the least best.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 17:49 Think it's got to be Suite for me.
I know I keep banging on about it but She's Slipping Away is one of the all time greats and nothing on Dark Matters can beat it, as much as I like it.
Norfolk Coast is still the best of the Baz albums though, and Giants is easily the least best.
I can’t disagree with any of that, and yes, speaking as someone who at best is a bit of a Baz skeptic, I love Slipping Away, Baz has a good vocal on it, I feel Paul could have delivered an incredible vocal on this, it’s almost like it was written with Paul’s voice in mind. I imagine however that the recordings hidden in a vault with Paul singing might be painful listening, considering the circumstances, it’s very easy to comprehend why his heart and soul wasn’t in it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I think it's a bit early to compare? Suite XV1 has aged well and stood the test of time,if your talking Rythms of course Suite blows Dark Matters away as it's Jet playing on some and programming his machines on others.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jake wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 17:56
I can’t disagree with any of that, and yes, speaking as someone who at best is a bit of a Baz skeptic, I love Slipping Away, Baz has a good vocal on it, I feel Paul could have delivered an incredible vocal on this, it’s almost like it was written with Paul’s voice in mind. I imagine however that the recordings hidden in a vault with Paul singing might be painful listening, considering the circumstances, it’s very easy to comprehend why his heart and soul wasn’t in it.
I also can't disagree with alot of what you have said here i too think paul would of done an inceredible studio version on this song as he did with the acoustic live version with John proved that to be the case for me.I think Slipping Away is a great song but for me Suite has many more to it's name that are in front of this track in just my opinion,but never the less a bloody good track for sure.
As for the DM v Suite i also agree with what has already been said with it being far to early to say either way,Suite has stood the test of time for sure as pointed out already and i agree with that,DM has been a brilliant effort from the band including the late Dave too,but if i had to choose it would be Suite but both to their name and credit have their strong leading songs like many have said with Slipping Away and DM has White Stallion so for me its a bit of swings and roundabouts for both albums,but for sure NC is by far the best stranglers album post Hugh that i still enjoy playing more than any other album and it is an incredible piece of work and Paul's best by far ever as a Strangler,shame his best was his last for many.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 19 Sep 2022, 21:23, edited 3 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I was sure I've heard Paul sing a version of She's slipping away. Acoustically along with SLG. But I can't find it on YouTube so I must make that up.

Pity, because what I imagined was good.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Yanders wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 20:42 I was sure I've heard Paul sing a version of She's slipping away. Acoustically along with SLG. But I can't find it on YouTube so I must make that up.

It certainly used to be on there. It's on the bonus disc of his recent Memento release with the 100 Club gig.
Certainly does a great job but he's also putting on a strange accent in places. Actually he's doing so in a very similar way to Baz on the acoustic version of Bless You.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Jake wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 17:56
I think lyrically at least it was mostly Paul's song so I'm really glad they didn't scrap it. I'd love to hear the original Paul vocal mix although I think this is also probably the best vocal Baz has ever done.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

OMG how have I only just thought of this - imagine if Dave had sung See Me Coming instead of JJ, it would have been incredible.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

Paul could have delivered an incredible vocal on this, it’s almost like it was written with Paul’s voice in mind
Paul wrote it :grin:
I was sure I've heard Paul sing a version of She's slipping away. Acoustically along with SLG. But I can't find it on YouTube so I must make that up.
It was on YT - from one of the acoustic gigs PR did after leaving the stranglers - with Andy Ellis on guitar. It now has disappeared from YT but it was really good yes.
It's on the bonus disc of his recent Memento release with the 100 Club gig.
Oh yes - almost forgot that - will get that out again.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 20:42 I was sure I've heard Paul sing a version of She's slipping away. Acoustically along with SLG. But I can't find it on YouTube so I must make that up.

Yes he did with John on one of those London Black in town duo gigs i can't remember when but iv'e heard it also i was going to go to it but i couldn't make it so it never happened for me but at that gig they sung Slipping Away if i remember right it was a long time ago....lol
Last edited by toilerinblack on 18 Sep 2022, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

evonx wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 21:00
Paul could have delivered an incredible vocal on this, it’s almost like it was written with Paul’s voice in mind
Paul wrote it :grin:
It was on YT - from one of the acoustic gigs PR did after leaving the stranglers - with Andy Ellis on guitar. It now has disappeared from YT but it was really good yes.
It's on the bonus disc of his recent Memento release with the 100 Club gig.
Oh yes - almost forgot that - will get that out again.
I can't find it too now yes your right it's not on YT anymore....but at least someone has said now it's on the bonus disc thanks.