Baz Guitar Eye View

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Baz Guitar Eye View

Post by Yanders »

There has to be a point when they decide to finish,I saw some footage recently of Toiler and Toby totally Cocked up the intro,at least it shows its live and not backing track,I'm actually a bit nervous about Leuven now,I will see what I think,but the set list is getting boring again,I hope they change it for Euro tour, drop ATS and GB take a risk.Lt Kudu.
I have a feeling that while Hugh is still active, JJ isn't going to rest the stranglers. I think he wants to be the last man standing.

I used to think that they need to play GB because it was their big hit, but I've come round to thinking that the people going aren't going to hear that track, so what's the point? JJ never looks thrilled to be playing it, and baz doesn't 'make it his own' or anything. And i don't know why they always play ATS and walk on by so much. Get rid of those three, and thats a lot of space to shake up the set.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Yanders wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 17:06 I used to think that they need to play GB because it was their big hit, but I've come round to thinking that the people going aren't going to hear that track, so what's the point? JJ never looks thrilled to be playing it, and baz doesn't 'make it his own' or anything. And i don't know why they always play ATS and walk on by so much. Get rid of those three, and thats a lot of space to shake up the set.
Surely the little bit in the middle where they play GB and ATS is just a bit of a breather for them. Not getting any younger etc. etc.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

droopsnoot wrote:
Yanders wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 17:06 I used to think that they need to play GB because it was their big hit, but I've come round to thinking that the people going aren't going to hear that track, so what's the point? JJ never looks thrilled to be playing it, and baz doesn't 'make it his own' or anything. And i don't know why they always play ATS and walk on by so much. Get rid of those three, and thats a lot of space to shake up the set.
Surely the little bit in the middle where they play GB and ATS is just a bit of a breather for them. Not getting any younger etc. etc.
ATS is a consistent crowd pleaser. Everyone sings along as the lights shine bright.

WOB showcases their musicianship.

GB is the one that could be dropped, if any. As a "regular fan" I wouldn't miss it, but I think the general punter still likes hearing it done.
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

They used to take risks live,drop GB at least it never sounds very good.It just sounds lacklustre and very boring to be honest.Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

They have to play GB. That's what your casual fan wants to hear. You could almost blend ATS in there. Id argue both those songs are "too Hugh" though. It needs that rich Hugh vocal to carry it off. No disrespect to Baz but y'know. WOB is the one I always go for a piss to and browse the merch stand, get another wine, ponder on the meaning of life, get another wine... Fuck me it goes on a bit

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think Baz does a pretty decent job on Always the sun and it's a real crowd pleaser but yes I think they could drop Walk on by.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I'm just not into singalongs.Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 21:58 I think Baz does a pretty decent job on Always the sun
"But who gets the job/of sucking my knob" :roll:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 16:25
jason wrote: 29 Aug 2022, 21:58 I think Baz does a pretty decent job on Always the sun
"But who gets the job/of sucking my knob" :roll:
Paul I believe started that crass ruination of the song.Baz seems to have stopped saying it now.Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Even Hugh sung "Gonna grab my cock" on Uptown so they are all guilty!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 19:29 Even Hugh sung "Gonna grab my cock" on Uptown so they are all guilty!
Really? I didn't know that,it seems to be Stranglers thing,Hugh and JJ used to wear T shirts with knobs on with sunglasses on the said part,I wonder if they still have those shirts? Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 20:01
jason wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 19:29 Even Hugh sung "Gonna grab my cock" on Uptown so they are all guilty!
Really? I didn't know that,it seems to be Stranglers thing,Hugh and JJ used to wear T shirts with knobs on with sunglasses on the said part,I wonder if they still have those shirts? Lt Kudu.
Doesn't Hugh sing it on the live version of Uptown on the All Live album? It was also on a 12 inch single. Yes I remember those t shirts! :grin: