Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 11:20 Just back from Ops in East Africa and it's same old,same old, great to be back. :smt013 Major Kudu.
There's nothing stopping you adding something different Mr Kudu,something original.It isn't same old anyway,it's a topic about a recent book from a current band member.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 19:27
Greatkudu wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 11:20 Just back from Ops in East Africa and it's same old,same old, great to be back. :smt013 Major Kudu.
There's nothing stopping you adding something different Mr Kudu,something original.It isn't same old anyway,it's a topic about a recent book from a current band member.
Sir I haven't finished the book,I got back from East Africa Ops yesterday,I did add a bit earlier about my own Suicide attempt in 1983,I think JJ was very brave to mention that event,JJ is not really like the public Image from what I have read so far,he comes across as a very sensitive Man,and he himself says he can be himself now,for many years he felt he needed to live up to the Hardman image,but I'm glad he's more true to himself now,of course he can handle himself with Karate but hes calmed down so much,and when you meet him,he's a perfect Gent.Major Kudu.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Yeah , perfect gent.
Like suggesting he had Hugh’s girlfriend on the Australian tour.
Real classy.

And his comments about HC are petty and childish, while failing to understand that he makes a living in a band with one original member, using lots of HC originated material, but they sound authentic, have a backdrop saying The Stranglers, so that’s ok then……
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

JJ hasn't done anything wrong though with keeping the band going. Hugh left and Jet and Dave have sadly passed so he has just pulled in necessary replacements. I'm grateful he has kept the band going. I have also really enjoyed Hugh's solo career.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

jason wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 08:40 JJ hasn't done anything wrong though with keeping the band going. Hugh left and Jet and Dave have sadly passed so he has just pulled in necessary replacements. I'm grateful he has kept the band going. I have also really enjoyed Hugh's solo career.
Seconded.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jonimac wrote:Yeah , perfect gent.
Like suggesting he had Hugh’s girlfriend on the Australian tour.
Real classy.

And his comments about HC are petty and childish, while failing to understand that he makes a living in a band with one original member, using lots of HC originated material, but they sound authentic, have a backdrop saying The Stranglers, so that’s ok then……
Yeah, and tons more in that book similar. JJ needs to step out of his JJ world and look around him

Was thinking the other day what one of his chapters reminds me of and it was Father Ted's award acceptance speech he might as well have had a chapter called "Liars" Image

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

jason wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 08:40 JJ hasn't done anything wrong though with keeping the band going. Hugh left and Jet and Dave have sadly passed so he has just pulled in necessary replacements. I'm grateful he has kept the band going. I have also really enjoyed Hugh's solo career.
That’s not my point.
The point is the lack of sheer class, in frankly mocking his former bandmate, who is a principle reason why he is able to keep the band going.
Quite pathetic really and you thought he would have moved on by now.
An armchair psychologist would wonder why he returns to the sniping.
As if he can’t accept that HC wants nothing to do with him.

Although I imagine most of us still want Hugh to turn up to the Albert Hall in March :grin:
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
twatinblack
Down In The Sewer

Post by twatinblack »

jonimac wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 11:22
That’s not my point.
The point is the lack of sheer class, in frankly mocking his former bandmate, who is a principle reason why he is able to keep the band going.
Quite pathetic really and you thought he would have moved on by now.
An armchair psychologist would wonder why he returns to the sniping.
As if he can’t accept that HC wants nothing to do with him.

Although I imagine most of us still want Hugh to turn up to the Albert Hall in March :grin:
Yeah like after the first set or during the encore or something like that. I do thlnk JJ would'nt mind as much as Baz tho, he seems like he dislikes Hugh the most.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I can see why JJ was mad at hugh, but i can also see why hugh left the band how and when he did.

I think hes blaming hugh for what the stranglers became in the 1990s. Its difficult for him to forget because every setlist is a reminder.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Yeah like after the first set or during the encore or something like that. I do thlnk JJ would'nt mind as much as Baz tho, he seems like he dislikes Hugh the most.
Maybe thats it - the animosity against hugh is just to reassure baz he's JJ favourite band wife.
Last edited by Yanders on 07 Jan 2024, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

ts difficult for him to forget because every setlist is a reminder.
Well he has some classics of his own in the bands catalogue but yes, he has to realize more than half of the classics from 77-83 were Hugh's....
I do thlnk JJ would'nt mind as much as Baz tho, he seems like he dislikes Hugh the most.
Which seems odd - have they ever even met?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

evonx wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 13:01
ts difficult for him to forget because every setlist is a reminder.
Well he has some classics of his own in the bands catalogue but yes, he has to realize more than half of the classics from 77-83 were Hugh's....
I was thinking about the lack of material from the 90s, more that who wrote what in the 70s and 80s.

The setlist appears as if the band stopped writting sometime in the 80s, and restarted much later.