Cruising with the Stranglers

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Cruising with the Stranglers

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:Postponed till 2023, gives us another year to decide it’s still too expensive to go on.
If they leave it another few years we'll all probably be of a certain age where a cruise seems like the natural thing to do

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 07:43
Bear Cage wrote:Postponed till 2023, gives us another year to decide it’s still too expensive to go on.
If they leave it another few years we'll all probably be of a certain age where a cruise seems like the natural thing to do

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Dam I will have to sell my Sailor Suit and Cap. Guess it's back to Cruising on Clapham Common for me, joking of course. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 01:49 I'm not sure that "Swim" would have added anything at all to About Time. As much as I love Dave's keyboard playing, the intro to "Swim" sounds like something you'd hear playing in the background of an arcade in Blackpool. It's a really corny keyboard sound.
Really? Sounds great to me, again how to rain on the parade. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Last edited by Greatkudu on 21 Jan 2022, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jason wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 23:16 I never really liked Tucker's Grave that much. I've always found it a bit boring.
I don't either, it's one of the few tracks I didn't copy to my MP3 player when I put the rest on. That and "Known only unto God", another dirge that they were really enthusiastic about when the album came out.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jason wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 23:16 I never really liked Tucker's Grave that much. I've always found it a bit boring. I'll dig out Norfolk coast and give it another listen in the car.
Yes do give it another try because Paul does on this track show just how good a vocalist he was, he toke this song in particular up another level it does take some time to get going but listen from the middle to the end only Paul out of every stranglers vocalist including Hugh could sing it the way he did...Paul at his fine best on this track and the whole of NC too come to think of it,it was a shame it ended the way it did but that's life and with Paul in it wasn't the best Stranglers for me anyway but sill credit where it's due and just when i feel he finally did find his way that suited his vocals range and style in this band it all ended.
For me it the typical written JJ written song's for Paul jut didn't work at all with those more deeper parts to a song but as he went up in key he was really good,still it's all history and good luck to him in whatever he doing nowdays.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 21 Jan 2022, 22:31, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

"Tucker's Grave" is a far superior song, recording and performance to "Known Only Unto God" im pretty much every single way that I can possibly think of. I can't fault PR's performance on it at all, and lovely vocal harmonies too.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 18:18 "Tucker's Grave" is a far superior song, recording and performance to "Known Only Unto God" im pretty much every single way that I can possibly think of. I can't fault PR's performance on it at all, and lovely vocal harmonies too.
I have always liked Tucker's Grave, with it's late 60's cool vibe. It does seem to divide fans though - possibly because it is slightly laidback (psychedelic tones).
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I've played Tucker's Grave tonight and it has got a nice atmospheric feel to it and it's a decent track but it's still not one of my favourites by the band. A worthy track on the album though. 6 /10 for me.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 18:18 "Tucker's Grave" is a far superior song, recording and performance to "Known Only Unto God" im pretty much every single way that I can possibly think of. I can't fault PR's performance on it at all, and lovely vocal harmonies too.
Agreed yep 100%.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 19:52
I have always liked Tucker's Grave, with it's late 60's cool vibe. It does seem to divide fans though - possibly because it is slightly laidback (psychedelic tones).
Yep i noticed on the live version he never toke his vocals up a gear like the studio version did and it's not a knock because live it was still very good but i wished that he had done that because it would of been belting,but one hell of a track and why some don't like it much is their own opinion but i cannot see what there is to dislike with it it's a beautifully written and played track both with it's laid back music to Paul singing it like only he can,i've always said Paul was and still is a great singer and he is for sure but for me it was always ever only just about the Hugh sung song's thing that i can never change my mind about or get my head around it sounding good,but saying that i think there has been songs since he left sung by others that he for sure would of improved and made them sound so much better, in fact there are many tracks that he would of done that to for sure even on DM i could name a few that he would of done real justice to,but as a band now i think they are more MK1 ish than him in it so for me i prefer that out of choice and not because he's a bad singer because he's a bloody good one being this bands best to date for me for sure but being the best dosen't make it best suited for this band's overall style and especially with the old MK1 catalogue ones and it wasn't for me and that's the difference, many may disagree there ...but each to their own as usual.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 21 Jan 2022, 23:25, edited 11 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yeah, I suspect the fact that it's a "laid back" piece where the musicians aren't going full tilt from beginning to end is the main reason that it's so divisive, but all that says to me is that some fans don't understand things like subtlety or atmosphere.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 22:56
Yeah, I suspect the fact that it's a "laid back" piece where the musicians aren't going full tilt from beginning to end is the main reason that it's so divisive, but all that says to me is that some fans don't understand things like subtlety or atmosphere.
Yep agreed totally there.