Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by theraven1979 »

As far as I'm concerned the career is perfect.. The success of GB keeping them afloat (for years!) Followed by la folie putting them back underground is perfect.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
punkerdgray
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by punkerdgray »

Is it only me that thinks Dark Matters is pretty average album some really great songs on it but most of it is pretty dull :roll:
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

punkerdgray wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 22:19 Is it only me that thinks Dark Matters is pretty average album some really great songs on it but most of it is pretty dull :roll:
I'm guessing you are talking about The Lines, Down and Breathe?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

punkerdgray wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 22:19 Is it only me that thinks Dark Matters is pretty average album some really great songs on it but most of it is pretty dull :roll:
Better than the last two but no more than the standard I would expect is how I would sum it up.
Let's Boogie
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Very disappointed in the album
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

marky wrote:Very disappointed in the album
would you care to elaborate?

not challenging your opinion, but I'm just interested in how you see the album against your expectations. Eg were you looking for something more "stranglersy", or more like Giants, or something else entirely different? Are there too many "slow songs" on it?
I Hate You !
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I can think of at least one other. :lol:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:
I can think of at least one more. Image
I actually quite like the dull ones. For me Down and Breathe are the best tracks on the album. The Lines though is shit. No denying that

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

I think my main issue with the album as a whole is that I fell for the hype ,I read the reviews ,reserved my judgement on hearing the bits and pieces on rat track and thought that this album would be a real belter you had baz talking up Louie as the 5th beatle (not that I like the Beatles) and my expectation was perhaps too high the songs in my view are ordinary ,not that I know that much about production it seems to be like this “ I want this one to sound like an opera” “I want this one to have a growling bass” ok that’s it boss what’s next? I’ve read before as I’m sure most of you have that the job of a producer is to challenge the band to look at the songs and arrangements from other perspectives to assist the band to look at alternatives to their own ideas Laurie Latham did when he worked with the band as I’m sure others have as well and as for the songs they just don’t grab me like other songs on other albums have judging by other comments on here is that the best they can come up with in 9 years and with 300 different ideas etc? Listen I’m really glad that many people on this forum love the album and that it was worth waiting for but for me it’s mediocre at best we got soft rock man rock slow reflection ballad the Lionel Richie one and the hastily cobbled together lines I look forward to see what material the band release next wether it’s something new or back catalogue
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'm overall really happy with the album. I was a bit disappointed with No man's land and Breathe after reading in a magazine they were brilliant tracks but they have grown on me now.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I'm still quite happy with the album and it's continuing to get regular play on my Spotify.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Looks like going the same way as Giants maybe , euphoria to start then a steady realisation that things may not be so great .....novelty of the new .
For me I still like it , vastly superior to Giants imo . I still say 6 decent songs , a couple of ok-ish and three dull/slow songs . Plus points no jazz , no Mercury type , fuck me they couldn't.'t write anything that bad again .I see no true jump out classics but a couple of very good songs , I still don't know if I will tire of this one like the last Damned , which initially I liked but quickly got bored .
Still a 7/10 for me . Not listened in a week though .
All quiet ..........