Post by Grip »

Hear .......not here, fuck I'm old :lol:
Tickety Boo!
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Re: John Lydon

Post by ThinkTank »

I don't really listen to Lydon much these days although i probably would still find him entertaining if i did. Its very sad how he's life has been turned around in such an awful way.

Taking he's age now and fitness in to consideration i doubt he would have the same impact live anymore but i have seen PIL a couple of times once late 80s and another some time in the 90s and it was very exciting so much energy and power with charisma. He did about 3 pistols songs as well and you really was opened up and given a taster to how those early days of the pistols would have been. He's someone that needs to challenge and change things that's why he's like what he is its all part of he's personality and something not to be taken seriously. Its all show business

PIL is definitely up there at the top with the best live acts that i have ever seen
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I enjoyed reading this over the weekend

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... -interview
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

evonx wrote: 31 Jul 2023, 13:43 I enjoyed reading this over the weekend

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... -interview
That was a good read thanks for that
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Lydon.

Such a complex chap.

One minute is charming, erudite and hilarious

next minute a rather obnoxious and often mean spirited individual with some bad habits towards women.

But he never ceases to entertain and contradict. He is the essence of what I believe punk to be. Forget all those twats like Misfits in America who are "punk raaaaawk maaaaaaan". Lydon is "punk".

Later PIL stuff is not up to par IMO though Car Crash and Hawaii have something about them.

The Public Image is Rotten is worth a look.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 01 Aug 2023, 09:27 Lydon.

Such a complex chap.

One minute is charming, erudite and hilarious

next minute a rather obnoxious and often mean spirited individual with some bad habits towards women.

But he never ceases to entertain and contradict. He is the essence of what I believe punk to be. Forget all those twats like Misfits in America who are "punk raaaaawk maaaaaaan". Lydon is "punk".

Later PIL stuff is not up to par IMO though Car Crash and Hawaii have something about them.

The Public Image is Rotten is worth a look.
Yes whatever anyone says about him,he was Pivotal in a musical revolution that will never happen again,as they Say Walk a Mile in My shoes before you judge me.Major Styles.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I think hes contradictory behavior comes from hes desire to fight for the under dog and to show that as well. Hes desire to fight against wrong and to challenge or change things comes from his health issues whilst growing up with full memory loss which must have been a very tough thing to deal with.
Where as most just think oh well that's life he wont give up trying to make a difference which opens him to not being understood by some.
Even so i bet hes a very hard person to get along with.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

I see the bits about his legal issues have disappeared from Wikipedia.

The alleged sexual / assault of a woman, the alleged racist violence.

He was one of the shitheads who was part of the destruction of Corbyn. Being too thick to realise he was being used by the Zionist lobby which is currently trying to turn Israel into a dictatorship and which presides over anti Arab pogroms.

His wife inherited over £100m I guess he now has that. Funny that he goes on about being working class and being skint cos of the court case against Danny Boyle's film using his music. Pull the other one.

A fuckin' clown and a coward and a Muppet. Just read Steve Jones book.

Quite like Car Chase though.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

He's certainly no saint but I don't think you can really call him cowardly for a man who is so outspoken and prepared to say it as he feels.

As I said before, he has certainly said some questionable things in his past and acted like a berk, but he also has a deep believe in core values that he is not scared to voice.

He certainly was the intellect in the Pistols, a band I love, but post Lydon, Cook and Jones didn't exactly amount to much.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agreed - PiL was a great response to leaving the Pistols. Some great PiL albums.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Wobble's Metal Box in Dub is a great listen by the way!
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

He was one of the shitheads who was part of the destruction of Corbyn. Being too thick to realise he was being used by the Zionist lobby which is currently trying to turn Israel into a dictatorship and which presides over anti Arab pogroms.
I agree that Israel needs a new government asap and that current developments are devastating. However don't forget Corbyn was a BDS puppet. And the original zionist movement and idea is still valid. A Jewish homeland is necessary. What did you think when The Stranglers played Israel?

Back to topic:
Some great PiL albums
Am a big fan of their early work with Wobble and Levine as well as the Flowers of Romance LP.
Wobble's Metal Box in Dub is a great listen by the way
In general I don't like artists revisiting their older works but this is certainly a great listen.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came