Killing Joke

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Killing Joke

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd say that's the end but then I've seen a band lose their main singer/songwriter/guitarist in 1990 then the keyboardist and drummer die to leave 1 original bassist standing and they're still going.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:I'd say that's the end but then I've seen a band lose their main singer/songwriter/guitarist in 1990 then the keyboardist and drummer die to leave 1 original bassist standing and they're still going.

Jim
Who's that then? Image

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I presume their next album is already written.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 16:09 I'd say that's the end but then I've seen a band lose their main singer/songwriter/guitarist in 1990 then the keyboardist and drummer die to leave 1 original bassist standing and they're still going.
A little inappropriate at the moment if I may say.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Geordie certainly had a distinctive almost haunting sound on a lot of their songs. I especially liked his guitar playing on the Extremeties album.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I First heard Killing Joke as my late brother had debut album when it came out,I really had heard nothing like it at the time, what struck me was the wall of sound with the Guitar, strong bass and very aggressive vocals,but it still had melody,and not forgetting the tight drumming,I have a few more Killing Joke albums,but through the years really lost touch with what they were doing,I have heard some recent material which I think is really good,sadly never seen the band live,they have to be one of the most creative British bands ever,It's been said about alot of Guitarists about having a unique sound,and from what I have heard Geordie fell in to that category of a having a unique sound,it almost sounds like he was playing about three Guitars,it's such sad news,I hope the band has the album finished before he passed away as will be a great legacy.Major Kudu.
MrBlack77
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by MrBlack77 »

Dreadful news. A truly brilliant guitarist with a very unique style of all his own. I impossible to replace. One of the few bands that could bring the brilliant studio sound to a live performance. I was fortunate to see joke and Geordie many times it’s unthinkable that I won’t be able to witness a joke live experience again with Geordie. Many thanks for the wonderful music and live shows I have witnessed and listened to since 1979. :smt010
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I lost touch with KJ but been listening to some of their recent material and it's fantastic music,I always wanted to see them live but never got round to it.Major Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 19:38 I lost touch with KJ but been listening to some of their recent material and it's fantastic music,I always wanted to see them live but never got round to it.Major Kudu.
Yep their last 3 albums were really good.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I saw a quote the other day attributed to Jaz. Something like 'We have reincarnated before.We will do so again.'
Let's Boogie
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

markorbit wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 12:46 I saw a quote the other day attributed to Jaz. Something like 'We have reincarnated before.We will do so again.'
Maybe - but Geordie's playing was so intrinsic to their sound. Jaz and Geordie were Killing Joke - as proven when bassists and drummers have changed with them (and that is not to denigrate Youth/Raven/Ferguson who I admire very much).
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

markorbit wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 12:46 I saw a quote the other day attributed to Jaz. Something like 'We have reincarnated before.We will do so again.'
Well, we shall see about that!!!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+