A Flock of Seagulls have gear nicked

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Re: A Flock of Seagulls have gear nicked

Post by RetroRocket »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 10:28 Funny I was about to post about these guys yesterday after watching Pulp Fiction (again). Was gonna ask if they were actually any good.

Jim
I think that the first album is a stone cold classic. Driving bass and drums, bubbling synths, and great melodies. A great post punk album

The second album has some great moments too, but you can hear that their pop hits have them chasing for more of the same
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice - I'll give that first one a spin.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I ran so far away has to be one of the greatest songs ever,heard it again while I was on OP Java a few weeks ago in Tropical Climes,what a song.Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Any band that names themselves after a Stranglers lyric can't be bad! :grin:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 19:56 Any band that names themselves after a Stranglers lyric can't be bad! :grin:
They were a great band,and of course huge Stranglers fans.Lt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

I should check them out, the track I like is probably the most famous “Wishing”, kind of came on my radar through the “Ashes to Ashes” soundtrack, which also featured the stranglers amongst many great and not so great artists
I am aware that AFOS got their name through the lyrics of Toiler, but other than that I haven’t felt a massive stranglers influence, anyone care to explain further :?:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well to me they weren't great at all.. good maybe..
I can hear the stranglers influence to their sound. They made a few decent songs, but ultimately just didn't have the quality to compete. A bit like watching France vs Morocco.
Good effort though..
I Hate You !
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

aldinblack wrote: 17 Dec 2022, 01:22 Well to me they weren't great at all.. good maybe..
I can hear the stranglers influence to their sound. They made a few decent songs, but ultimately just didn't have the quality to compete. A bit like watching France vs Morocco.
Good effort though..
I’ve never heard that stranglers influence but there again I haven’t really explored their material. They seem quite of the “New Romantic” sound, and certainly not a harder edge like lifting a lyric from “Toiler” would suggest. I have nothing against a lot of the music labelled “New Romantic”, indeed there were some great albums under that tag, stupid label all the same though…
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

A Flock Of Seashite

Can’t believe this band were bigger than The Stranglers in the USA. All they had was one shite hit and a seriously ridiculous haircut. And did they really take their name from Toiler On The Sea? Jeez they couldn’t even come up with their own original name :roll:
Shush this is serious
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I've heard their first two albums in full and neither made any kind of lasting impression on me other than I didn't want to listen to them again.