New Bowie Single/Album

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

sparrow
SHAKESPEARO

Re: New Bowie Single/Album

Post by sparrow »

It's a good album but not a great album..some of the songs are filler but the rest make up for it..It's just nice he has made it in the first place most folks thought he had more or less retired from the music biz.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Yes it's good to have him back.
pigeon
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by pigeon »

Get some Metallica in your ears jim you no it makes sence. :D
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Only if I can borrow your leather waistcoat and pig.

Jim
pigeon wrote:Get some Metallica in your ears jim you no it makes sence. :D
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
painter in black
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by painter in black »

A good album but not a masterpiece, way to long, but still a suprise! I think the last one from Nick Cave is better.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

painter in black wrote:A good album but not a masterpiece, way to long, but still a suprise! I think the last one from Nick Cave is better.
I take it you did or didn't get the deluxe edition then? :)

I quite like the fact the last two new albums I have got hold of, both by old artists Bowie as mentioned, and Adam Ant, are both in excess of one hour, I mean short and sweet has it's place, but I don't have a problem with artists making an album that fills up the best part of an hour. I know it's not all killer and some filler in both cases but there are not that many albums that are all killer and no filler. So I look fwd to the era of albums being an hour long, as I think the album is going through some kind of an identity crisis for some time and it's good to reinvent the rules a bit, and it's certainly good value when you have an album that's an hour long. I also think it makes the experience more one of 'right I will really have to sit down and concentrate on this album' rather than just something to stick on in the background, perhaps ;)
zontar
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by zontar »

After a fawning multipage piece in TIME plus a parade of critics praising the disc to the skies finally comes a welcome salvo of bile, written not by some hatchet man but respected Anglophile Dave Thompson (many book credits to his name) in the May ish of (US) collector's mag GOLMINE.

Can't find review online, so I'll offer edited sample barbs:

...'When you are nine songs into the album...without realizing you'e still not on track three and it's been going on for a very long time, then something's seriously lacking in the melody department - like a melody'...

...'Bowie is crafty, littering the album with so many self-referential tricks that the whole thing will make his fan club proud'...

...'WHERE ARE WE NOW has been compared to John Lennon, although it actually sounds like Julian Lennon putting music to a street map of Berlin'...

...'There is little here that is any more distinguished than the filler that clogged his last two albums...This is just another one to file away on the shelf. Next!'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It's a shame that there was such a brilliantly masterminded publicity launch to it that the album is pretty average. There's about 4 tracks that are alright but I can't find myself reaching for it in years time. Still, glad he did it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
sparrow
SHAKESPEARO

Post by sparrow »

theraven1979 wrote:It's a shame that there was such a brilliantly masterminded publicity launch to it that the album is pretty average. There's about 4 tracks that are alright but I can't find myself reaching for it in years time. Still, glad he did it.

Jim
Aye...I'm glad he did it too but must agree it has maybe 4 decent tracks..still an OK album..I initially ordered the cd & vinyl but after hearing it quickly cancelled the LP. :roll: