Buzzcocks @ Manchester 25th May 2012

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Buzzcocks @ Manchester 25th May 2012

Post by theraven1979 »

Where to begin? Well something a bit special this one. I couldn't resist this, the "Back To Front" tour sees the band play 1 full set with the lineup as it currently stands, 1 with the "classic" lineup (Garvey and Maher), then finally the Spiral Scratch EP with Mr Devoto.

Chinese and a couple of ales aside we met up with Johnny Bardsley (and dad) just before the gig then the short walk from Jabez Cleggs to the venue. Which was most pleasant in the blazing sunshine (surely a first for Manchester!). Arriving at the venue I notice a certain John Robb stood in the reception looking like he's holding court with a few people stood around him waiting to have a chat. £7.80 lighter for 2 ales!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: (did I say ales? I meant cans of Carlsberg) we make our way to the front where I notice a midget confidently striding to the front, is the circus in town? No it's the forum's queen Spooner, I say hello and he mumbles something about traffic, seems a tad miffed, er... Ok Beryl enjoy it! :grin: We're hanging around waiting for show to begin and I spy FatBusJim and co - I say hello - He looks happy as usual - good to see (I notice later on there's only me and him really bopping to the "new" lineup).

At around 8.15 the "new" lineup appear Shelley immediately says something along the lines off this is the current lineup if you don't like it then fuck off. I actually quite enjoy it - There's a really good blend of "new stuff" some nice tracks lifted from TTT onwards - Great to hear "Isolation", "Crystal Night" plus some great stuff off Modern ("Choices" being a particular highlight) and Flat Pack - There's also 3 or 4 new songs "People are Strange Machines" sounding great - wow! That said most people seem very unmoved and are clearly just waiting for the the "classic" lineup to appear. Band go off stage, and it starts filling up down front, there's a real buzz (cock! :smt006 ) and anticipation around the venue now.

Roughly 10 mins later we're presented with Shelley, Diggle, Maher and Garvey - Blimey! Having never witnessed this lineup I'm chuffed to finally see them and I wasn't disappointed. Maher was fucking amazing - he really held it all together (and at times it needed someone to control proceedings). Garvey as well bringing a lot to the party, great bass and energy, he was really up for it and into it. And sweet lord! what a set list "Pulsebeat", "Promises", "Why Can't I Touch It", "Mad Mad Judy", "Chainstore", "Ever Fallen...", "Harmony", "Fast Cars", "Nowadays", "Orgasm Addict" - Just amazing really - Only slight downer was Diggle doing his usual pissed up guitar - "Mad Mad Judy" was ruined I don't mind the guy getting into it but you'd have thought he might have reigned it in for once giving a bit of respect for his fellow colleagues. That aside, it was fucking amazing hearing these tracks played by the original four members. Maher's drumming is a joy to watch, just effortless, inventive, solid, fantastic! An hour passes with a blink of an eye - They comeback for an encore but it all goes too quickly.

Again 5 mins later Marc Riley (who'd been introducing each set) appears for the last time to announce the "Spiral Scratch" lineup - He has bragging rights as he's seen each lineup. Devoto appears, Diggle switches to bass and Shelley is donning his 70s shades - It's all getting very surreal, which is made even more surreal by Devoto's Magazine style theatrics, and at one point Devoto singing one song, whilst the rest of the band are playing another - Maher jumps down from the drum kit and points out the faux pas - Band restart, this time playing the correct song. It's fine, good performance. Again it's all over too quick, we leave the venue happy, jump into a taxi, couple of ales for the train home. Job done, and it's a beautiful memory I'll be taking to the grave.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Buzzcocks @ Manchester 25th May 2012

Post by gizzard »

Nice one Jim.

Wish they'd done a few more dates.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Fatbusjim
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Fatbusjim »

Excellent review there Jim, and good to see you again, can't add much but to say Diggle was awseome and equally annoying at times.

Personally I enjoyed the whole gig, (apart from rip off ale :evil: ), but perhaps predictably the Garvey/Maher classic set was Fookin Brill and the stand out for me.

Bumped into a sweat ridden (somebody must have made him get a round in :twisted: ) Spooner at the end. All in all a great night out.

We Fookin 'Ad It!!!
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Great review Jim, just heard the Buzzcocks are playing Rebellion so that should be a great gig.
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Alexinblack wrote:Great review Jim, just heard the Buzzcocks are playing Rebellion so that should be a great gig.
Bit pissed off with that news, can't get to Blackpool till Friday, The Buzzers are headlining Thursday! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Fatbusjim

Post by Fatbusjim »

Debaser
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Debaser »

I'm glad I was there but it certainly wasn't the best gig I've ever attended. The sound was patchy as was the delivery, Diggle was... well... an embarrassment. He's always been giddy but last night he was verging on 'tosser'

As usual, farty man was there AND in front of me but too tall man and snoggy couple must have decided to choose somewhere else to stand.
"Five cups of coffee just to be myself, when I'd rather be somebody else"
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Good review Jamie,
Yeah, it was a real treat for buzzcocks fans. A bit hit and miss at times but overall unmissable. Went down the front for most of the first set but I thought the sound was pretty awful and also i felt that the choice of 'new' songs could have been better. I then stood back at the bar for a bit to enjoy the most expensive can of Carlsberg ever! Nearly 4 fucking quid a can! These venues don't half take the piss, as well as sell it.
" I don't know how you sleep at night" I said to the girl who served my drinks. She just smiled.
Anyway, the definite highlight of the evening for me was the second set with the classic line up. A band that i first saw back in 1979 with Joy Division supporting them...(gulp! Im getting fucking old!)Not that they are any better than the latest version i hasten to add, it was just the choice of songs - everyone a classic. I thought John Maher looked a little like Hugh Cornwell now that his hair has receded and Steve Garvey was a dead ringer for Paul Simenon. Or was I just pissed?
Oh, and wasn't Diggle such a twat? He seems to get worse at each Buzzcocks gig I've gone to in recent years. He completely ruined 'harmony', think he forgot the lyrics didnt he and decided instead to spout on about fuck all.
But Diggles antics kinda added to the fun I suppose.
I was right at the front for the 2nd & 3rd sets not wanting to miss a second of the show, particularly Devotos contribution. We were about to witness history. Wasn't this the main reason for us all being there last night? Well, anyway, it was great to hear the 'Spiral Scratch' stuff but I have to say that I'm not sure that it totally worked as a finale. To end with a song that only ever appeared on a bootleg ('Cant Control Myself' trivia fans) wasn't the best choice to finish off such a wonderful occasion IMHO.I think the Buzzcocks would have faired slightly better by blasting us with the classic singles as an encore and let's face it the band went on to greater things after Devotos left so they definitely didn't save the best until the end last night.
Still, minor quibbles aside it was a most enjoyable occasion and a top night out. Unmissable really.
Good to see Jimbo, Fatbus, Tuneless and another forum member I'd not met before , Mr Castle Brown resplendent in his Stranglers t shirt. Didn't hang around after the gig , it was off to Manchester central for late night beers, fags and kebabs! Today, as I write this and recollect my thoughts.....well, it's all a bit of a blur to be quite honest :smt011
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Shame I didn't bump into any of you last night. I agree with Barry, a bit hit and miss in places but unmissable overall.
I thought the 'classic' line up of Shelley, Diggle, Garvey and Maher struggled a bit until they got to the singles and then
it flowed. Not taking anything from Maher though, he held it together with some solid drumming.

I've seen the Buzzcocks a few times over the years. A very memorable one was going into Manchester on the bus after
school without tickets to see them at the Poly. We got there early and as we were hanging around a side door a student
invited us in and we watched a full fifteen song soundcheck.

We had to leave after it but purchased tickets outside then watched the gig. It was compered by Mike Read for Radio 1,
I think it would have been 1980.
euromanc-ometh
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

Well, I'm off to Brixton to meet some folks at the Canterbury Arms. A few ales and then I'll get to find out if the sound at the Academy is any better than some of the reports from last night.

I'm looking forward to it. :grin:
ManInBrown
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Debaser wrote:
As usual, farty man was there AND in front of me but too tall man and snoggy couple must have decided to choose somewhere else to stand.
:lol: brilliant mate, fucking brilliant......I had vacant, gone to the wrong gig man standing next to me. He seems to be at every gig I go to these days and always positioned at the barrier front of stage.
Debaser
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Debaser »

ThruBeingCool wrote:
I had vacant, gone to the wrong gig man standing next to me. He seems to be at every gig I go to these days and always positioned at the barrier front of stage.
Does he wear glasses and have side burns?

I didn't see 'moist, bare-chested, standing with back to stage, arms aloft and singing' man last night ... but I was a few rows back
"Five cups of coffee just to be myself, when I'd rather be somebody else"