The Wedding Present @ Leeds 02 30th Dec 2011

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

The Wedding Present @ Leeds 02 30th Dec 2011

Post by theraven1979 »

Didn't really think twice about going to this - At £13 a ticket (minus booking fee) it's a real pleasure to see tickets at such a resonable price. Leeds city was dead this evening as most people were staying in for NYE celebrations the following night - Not me and Lammy though who managed to take in a few decent real ales prior to the gig.
cWP_000425.jpg
cWP_000425.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 451 times
We arrived at the venue at around 8.30 and watched the end of a ruddy awful support act. The crowd beginning to fill up rapidly now as it approached 9pm - not quite a sell out but a very good attendance. So much so that from one side of the venue (where we were stood) you couldn't get to the bar but if you walked around through the "coridoor" and back through the main doors you could get to the bar - coming back out of the main doors on the way back proved tricky when carrying two pints but a swift knee raised up to the push bar flings it impressively open (didn't spill a drop knee hurts a bit now though :grin: )

Band appear at around 9.15 and work through a varied set of new and old - Some songs not even recorded yet sounding pretty good. Of course there were the classics "My Favorite Dress" going down very well (as you'd expect) cue around 100 40-somethings jumping about like it's the late 80s and they're all little indie kids again - nice to see - some beaming smiles in the crowd - all good fun.

Gedge reminds me of Snoopy playing guitar when he throws those little arm flailing chord jabs and stuff :lol:

Highlights for me was hearing "Kansas", "Perfect Blue", "Queen Anne", "Kennedy" (as soon as they finished this some in the crowd shouted out for "Kennedy!" :lol: ). All wrapped up in around 1 hour 30 "We don't do encores" Gedge. Job done, although I'll probably pass on next year's Seamonster gigs.
cWP_000457.jpg
cWP_000457.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 451 times
cWP_000460.jpg
cWP_000460.jpg (125.81 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
s.harris
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: The Wedding Present @ Leeds 02 30th Dec 2011

Post by s.harris »

Nice to see The Wedding Present are still playing live, will try and catch them on next year's Seamonster tour.
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Added photos.

One other thing- There was a lot o Stranglers posters scattered around the venue. Good bit of publicity for the forthcoming tour.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
irj
Down In The Sewer

Post by irj »

Outstanding band The Weddo's and brilliant live seen them over 40 times and they never disappoint.
Old Angus
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Old Angus »

Sadly never seen them live. Bizarro has to be one of the greatest albums ever.
-------------------------------------------------------------
SEGONTIUM SEARCHERS

Genealogy & Local History Research Service

www.segontium.com