Snow business like snow business.

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

Snow business like snow business.

Post by saminblack »

Anyone else had a nightmare snow day today?

i know many of you in the north and Scotland may have suffered for ages and might be thinking 'typical, soft southerneres whinging on when it hits them' but today has been a first for me - a totally snowbound day. And frankly I am already bored with it all.

For the first time in my life I have been stuck at base camp.I tried to get my car out at about 7.30am and succeeded in only moving about three feet in 30 clutch-crunching minutes before abandoning it at an angle in the middle of my road. Not a single car has got out of my road (they couldn't get past mine anyway :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: !) so I had to turn back and 'work from home'. Managed to do quite a bit at home really but I am now seriously miffed with being stuck in the equivalent of an igloo.

Anyone else had a day to forget?
They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Snow business like snow business.

Post by PaulinLondon »

Staying in the smoke tonight. :grin: The suburbs look grim for tomorrow.
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

A call from work this morning saying we might as well close for the day. First time it's ever happened to me including school days. I was relieved to say the least because yesterday was a beery session!
euromanc-ometh
Mr-Tele
Rats Rally

Post by Mr-Tele »

Weyhey! snow here having a great time terrorising my sister with snowball!
They’ve been cooking on Blue Peter
Now they’re sampling the dishes
“I don’t normally like tomatoes, John
But this is delicious”
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You know us hard Northerners have been living with this for weeks now - I knew that as soon as you lot got a whiff of it it would be major news :grin: :grin: :grin: :P

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
alm2910
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by alm2910 »

got to laugh,scotlands been like this for nearly 3 weeks now........now its reached south of the border the bbc has now stuck on a special programme on the so called crisis.
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Got about 4 or 5 inches here, no problem driving in that as long as you can hit the road early before all the idiots get out there and start slipping and sliding and abandoning their cars everywhere. :roll:
Its much less than it was on the morning of the coach trip when we had to undergo the epic trip to kent at 3am. No worries there either.
The local school was inexplicably closed as were many shops in the town apparently, but I got to work at 8 to find people from Birmingham (55 miles), Leamington (20 miles), various outlying towns and villages all present and correct with barely a problem.

My wife says there was people panic buying in Tesco's yesterday for fucks sake!

My boss spent some time fabricating a snowplow attachment to fit on the front of the fork lift. He used elements of the fork lift attachment he made recently to rip up ceramic floor tiles...........that didn't work either!
I tried to make him laugh, He didn't get the joke, and then he said I wasn't right in the head.
Audreyinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Audreyinblack »

You're right, 3 weeks on Friday since this started - not too worried about getting to work in Dundee in the morning but starting to get worried if I'll get to Dunfermline I'll be bloody p..... off if we're still snowed in then! :x
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

Didn't have any problems today. My problems were yesterday. Couldn't get out of the car park at work, not directly due to the snow, but because of the mad panic at work and on the roads as everyone raced to get home at the same time. Having moved only 6 feet in 45 minutes and hastily arranged for someone else to pick up my kids from the closed schools, I parked the car and went back to work for a couple of hours. By that time all of the lemmings had gone home and I had a relaxed drive home.

Today I looked out of the window at 6:30am and thought 'Sod that!' Wasn't even worth trying to get out of the street as I knew that people would be either abandoning cars left right and centre or driving like muppets. With the weather due to deteriorate during the day, I didn't fancy endangering myself or others nor getting stuck miles from home.

Looking at the forecast tomorrow, I don't fancy my chances in the car first thing in the morning. Have seen that at least one of my kids schools is closed tomorrow, so I am going to be a good Dad and sod work again!

W/r/t the North/South thing: Problem is, we're all fookin nithered down here, but don't have the ace vocabulary to express it so succinctly! Thats why we need a crisis special on the TV. Or is it just because the footie was cancelled and showing News 24 on BBC1 was a cheap, last minute alternative?
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

I am over in Salzwedel in Germany. Really feel sorry for you UK folks... having your usual 2inches of snowfall? No doubt the country has ground to a halt :roll:
-12 degrees here and snow everywhere. Forecast -16 degrees tomorrow with the added bonus of more snow and lots of wind to boot.
Lovely to be lying under a freezing, manky train, de-icing water pipes with a poxy heat gun...
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!
billyinblack63
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by billyinblack63 »

aahhhh the good old days sid ive been under a fcukin tank all day
we are the middlesbrough crewinblack
50millionwatches
Ugly
Ugly

Post by 50millionwatches »

billyinblack63 wrote:aahhhh the good old days sid ive been under a fcukin tank all day
Its the evenings that I hate Billy. Having to sit there and drink a vat of Alt bier....
Gottle o Geer, Gottle o Geer!!